Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans Vs Gold Coast Suns

Just wild about Harry
    Well, I feel I have to mention a few points here.
    - the Suns are a seriously good team. This is the first time I have seen them play this year and I think that their spine is amazing with some great runners as well. In fact, their two key backs are so good that we had to drag Tippett and Franklin away from goals after halftime to see if our third tall (Reid) could do anything. Reid kicked 3 which forced the Suns to activate their sub and then we had to revert to our previous structure. Also, how good is O'Meara? The boy just oozes class and the entire midfield has a mentor like Ablett to learn from. I think we will all be in some serious trouble in one more season.
    - Can you believe how high their ruckman (Smith?) can jump? Poor old Obelix was at the centre bounce waiting for the ball to come down and all of a sudden he has got a pair of knees on his shoulders. If our ruck had more experience he may have taken more of his space, but it is no wonder they were getting the taps. I am not sure if Pyke would have fared better.
    - As has been mentioned, Harry's kicking for goal looks breathtaking at the moment. There is no swing or deviation, no hint of anything but perpendicular rotation and the ball sails through the exact centre. At 20 years of age, this kid can develop into a seriously good defensive forward.
    - How far can Mackenzie kick? I laughed when he set up to take that shot after the siren as he was about 60m out and I thought the torp would be his only option. To kick a drop punt that sailed through the behinds at half-post height is scary.
    - At the end of the day, we got 4 points over a team that has beaten many others. Let's bank those now and move on to next week.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    The main difference between this week's game and last week's was the performance of the opposition not the Swans'. Gold Coast actually came to play, compared to the limp wristed efforts of the Cats last week.
    Yep, my thoughts also

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Well, I feel I have to mention a few points here.
    - the Suns are a seriously good team. This is the first time I have seen them play this year and I think that their spine is amazing with some great runners as well. In fact, their two key backs are so good that we had to drag Tippett and Franklin away from goals after halftime to see if our third tall (Reid) could do anything. Reid kicked 3 which forced the Suns to activate their sub and then we had to revert to our previous structure. Also, how good is O'Meara? The boy just oozes class and the entire midfield has a mentor like Ablett to learn from. I think we will all be in some serious trouble in one more season.
    - Can you believe how high their ruckman (Smith?) can jump? Poor old Obelix was at the centre bounce waiting for the ball to come down and all of a sudden he has got a pair of knees on his shoulders. If our ruck had more experience he may have taken more of his space, but it is no wonder they were getting the taps. I am not sure if Pyke would have fared better.
    - As has been mentioned, Harry's kicking for goal looks breathtaking at the moment. There is no swing or deviation, no hint of anything but perpendicular rotation and the ball sails through the exact centre. At 20 years of age, this kid can develop into a seriously good defensive forward.
    - How far can Mackenzie kick? I laughed when he set up to take that shot after the siren as he was about 60m out and I thought the torp would be his only option. To kick a drop punt that sailed through the behinds at half-post height is scary.
    - At the end of the day, we got 4 points over a team that has beaten many others. Let's bank those now and move on to next week.
    Brilliant post, nailed it on every point.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    I am a lot more sympathetic to Sammy. Could you imagine his current job description? Sammy - this week we want you to provide a contest in the ruck (I know you have not played their much - but do your best) when Tom is not around and make sure you are available for get out kicks from defence up on the wing. If we are struggling down back, we might need you to go in to defence for a while and take care of a key position player or at least be the spare down there. We might also need you forward if Tippo and Buddy are being well held to take a 3rd or 4th forward role - kick a couple of goals whilst you are there. Chase those pesky midfielders around the ground and make plenty of tackles - lots of pressure please!
    Poor Sammy - I would not be surprised if he is bringing the cut up oranges to the game ATM as well.
    My point on Sam is that he didn't do enough and wasn't competetive enough when the ball hit the ground. His stats were 5 kicks, 6 handpasses and 3 marks. Those 3 marks were in his purple patch in the 3rd quarter as were 3 of his kicks. He got those marks playing out of the square. When he was up on the wing we had noone in the forward line hence no structure. Why does he need to be on the wing to take a mark from a dfensive kick. He drops too many chest marks that he should swallow. Right now if you were to drop a big man he is first in the queue.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie_X View Post
    Moron comment aside... I apologise for that. Uncalled for. But quite simply, coaches lie.
    I challenge you next week to watch all of Reid's possessions forward of 50, and note his ineffectiveness under pressure. Report back and if I'm wrong I'll happily rescind my comments of him being played out of position.

As for the Tippet comment of where he got hurt in ruck... again I apologise to you. Was just going off what I believe another poster had posted.(?) Like I said, I never caught the whole game. Only up until half time. Waiting on the Fox replay because it never recorded for me.

But I stand by my opinion that Tippet should never Ruck and that Reid is playing out of position and therefore a weakness in our team. Up forward, he is OK. But beyond forward 50 he is a liability. It's not like he is a sublime kick feeding the forwards or anything like that.
    I was that other poster and I will go to my grave saying Tippett should never ruck. He has tendonitis and other issues with a knee. Rucking at centre bounces requires a verticle leap and landing on one leg. Remember Goodes doing his knee in Perth. He hasn't rucked since. I think it is a hige risk rucking him and putting in jeopardy what is a great forward structure. He has more chance of getting a knock on the knee rucking than playing full forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    I thought today was another good win.. I don't feel we ever reached top gear.. I think we were somewhat sloppy and nowhere near our best in all areas of our disposal.. What is up with Jetta.. He seems to look quite down on himself at the moment.. When he kicked a goal in the last qtr a whole bunch of guys went to him to congratulate him like it was his 1st ever goal.. Is there anything in that ?
    I noticed that too and it worried me. The way the boys rallied around looked very much like he is amidst some personal issues and they wanted him to know they care. Probably not fair to speculate what they might be but ... homesickness, family, relationship perhaps?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    My point on Sam is that he didn't do enough and wasn't competetive enough when the ball hit the ground. His stats were 5 kicks, 6 handpasses and 3 marks. Those 3 marks were in his purple patch in the 3rd quarter as were 3 of his kicks. He got those marks playing out of the square. When he was up on the wing we had noone in the forward line hence no structure. Why does he need to be on the wing to take a mark from a dfensive kick. He drops too many chest marks that he should swallow. Right now if you were to drop a big man he is first in the queue.
    I agree yesterday was not his best game, but I do not accept he would be the first big man dropped. He is the most flexible player in the team and the coaching staff are always singing his praises. He does drop the occasional sitter, but he also plucks plenty. Most of the marks he drops come when the has easily beaten his opponent and is in the clear. He works really hard and then when he is free and clear his concentration just drops off. This will improve over time. I would love to have a look at the GPS tracker stats for the players (so would the opposition coaches)!

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Not sure if anybody has mentioned this or not yet but we've won 8 quarters of footy in a row against high quality opposition...doesn't happen very often and is something to be proud of

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I haven't read any of this thread yet but
    This was the only game I get to see live this year and it was a very dull crowd a far a Swans fans went. I was in bay 105 and apart from a few voices it was as though people were siting on their hands. Very disappointing. Fair enough that it wasn't a home game but c'mon people.
    I'm sure none were RWOers :-)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Rhyce Shaw = Jeckyl and Hyde. Brilliant against Geelong, hideous against GC. His disposal by foot was dreadful this week.

my gut feeling on Jetts is that he is finding it challenging in parts of the game to stand out like he has in the past.........this is partly due to slingshot 2012 footy he was the star and it worked.............but now it has been somewhat curtailed by teams

BUT it is partly due to the dominance of our combined contribution at the Bloods right now

I mean you have Shaw and Mal on fire the last 7 rounds playing some of the best (composed) footy i have seen them play and they are really dominating our set ups - Shaw not quite there against GC

So if we sit back and think about it....... even K Jack doesnt appear to be that guy who took games apart in 2012 like Jetts did too

- So for me we have the most even spread of targets in 2014
    - We have the most even contribution of players dominating
    - We have a structure that is less about over the back for slingshot and much more about getting our uncontested marks and structures right to give ourselves the best opportunity for an easy shot on goal

hence Jetts may not be at his 2012 heights......... but i wouldnt yet say his body language is stating he wants to go home ??
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    my gut feeling on Jetts is that he is finding it challenging in parts of the game to stand out like he has in the past.........this is partly due to slingshot 2012 footy he was the star and it worked.............but now it has been somewhat curtailed by teams
    So many times Jetts is out in space and I think 'run, Jetts, run', but instead he takes a couple steps and kicks to a contest. I honestly don't know why he doesn't take the game on with his pace. I think he can be at his most damaging when he forces defenders to commit to stopping him. He's not getting all that much attention because we have such a powerful midfield and everyone needs a bit of minding. The opposition should be petrified when he has ball in hand and a bit of space to work with, but he doesn't give them enough reason for that.

Lewis Jetta finals sprint and goal - AFL - YouTube

i dont agree Ludwig - i constantly remember Jettas great goals as above being the ones where he breaks away from the last line which worked with slingshot ie over the back of the opposition backmen

This year he is deeper into the midfield on his breaks and more importantly when he breaks he has targets ahead of him

I for one do not want him ignoring great leads from very very good tall forwards like we have and i think that is primarily what he is doing ie looking to hit more targets then blitz players

the coaching department would be asking for the greatest certainty to score goals and we are not kicking to packs nearly as often as per years gone past........ we are doing our best to create one on ones as much as possible for more uncontested marks then years gone past !

I cant think of Rioli playing slingshot and standing out at the Hawks like Jetta did in 2012 - and that is because they play a style similar to what we are morphing into in 2014
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast