Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Changes Round 13 V PORT

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I should clarify my earlier statement. I think they're considering Pyke as a late out depending on the weather tomorrow, and having a look at the BOM forecast that seems very likely. Nothing is confirmed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLog View Post
    Twitter friends
    Links?
    -

Pushing for Selection
    Cheers ugg
    Using Tapatalk

Can't see them bringing Zac Jones in for Pykie. Zac is a back pocket/HB. We need more a forward to replace Pykie as he was replacing Tip. Membrey would be the obvious choice, he is a goal kicker, is in great form (best last three? weeks for Twos) & is a med/tall that can play small. Zac is hard in and under but if they bring him in it will be to do a job on one of the Power smalls. That would mean someone in the backs goes out. Gazza could come in as he plays both forward and back too.

Surely if Pyke comes out, Membrey has too come in. He has to be the next forward in line. I can't see how Rohan can come in. He had a very ordinary start to the season and was sent back to the reserves and started his education as a half back/wing type player. He is still well and truly in that development phase and has hardly been smashing the NEAFL. I can't fathom why he could be considered a replacement for Tippett.

Veteran Site Admin
    I am a little bewildered that some were criticising the team selection for the most obvious like-for-like replacement for Tippett by opting for Pyke, arguing that we need less height and more run / mobility against a side like Port. But once it is hinted that Pyke may make way for someone else, we now need a direct replacement for Tippett?

Even without Tippett in the team, we still have Goodes, Franklin and Reid as more than competent tall targets, plus a host of midfielders who can take a mark and kick goals.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I am a little bewildered that some were criticising the team selection for the most obvious like-for-like replacement for Tippett by opting for Pyke, arguing that we need less height and more run / mobility against a side like Port. But once it is hinted that Pyke may make way for someone else, we now need a direct replacement for Tippett?

Even without Tippett in the team, we still have Goodes, Franklin and Reid as more than competent tall targets, plus a host of midfielders who can take a mark and kick goals.
    Not sure if you are referring to me Liz, so I will clarify. I like the balance of our team so I was definitely calling for like-for-like replacements. I liked Pyke coming in for Tippett, just a little disappointed with BJ for McGlynn. Felt Robinson should have been given a chance and brings a bit of mcglynn's hardness. Just saying if Pyke comes out then another forward should come in.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Spot on. I never cared for this like for like business. We didn't hear like for like when Paul Chambers went out of the side? We could never find a like for like replacement for Paul (maybe Derickx comes the closest).

If someone goes out of the side you need to reassess the situation as a whole and see which selection makes the most sense. The like for like is too mechanical.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Not sure if you are referring to me Liz, so I will clarify. I like the balance of our team so I was definitely calling for like-for-like replacements. I liked Pyke coming in for Tippett, just a little disappointed with BJ for McGlynn. Felt Robinson should have been given a chance and brings a bit of mcglynn's hardness. Just saying if Pyke comes out then another forward should come in.
    Not really you specifically. I didn't even bother to see whether the same people complaining about the predictability of the changes were the same now complaining about the hypothetical of Jones for Pyke. It was just a general observation on the fickleness of the RWO collective.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Jones may be predominantly playing as a small defender in the ressies but there's no reason he couldn't play in the midfield either. I think he has the type of game that could have an instant impact coming on as a sub so I don't think it's as illogical as some are making out that he could be the one that replace Pyke.

Is R. O'Keefe completely off the table? He could play forward and rotate through the midfield. By all accounts his performance in the reserves has been very consistent.

Edit: Scratch that. I guess if he's not listed as an emergency then he won't be eligible for inclusion.
    Last edited by Ampersand; 13th June 2014 at 07:29 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910