Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Round 13 V PORT

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Our team is so well balanced at the moment you need to replace like for like. If Tippett is out I would bring in Pyke or Nankervis at FF. If Benny is rested due to concussion than another midfielder needs to come in and I think Robinsons hardness and form deserves to be rewarded.
    As for Wingard, one a bit out of left field, how about Jetta goes to him. Makes Wingard accountable and drags him out of the forward line when Jetta is on the counter attack. I would like to see him running up and down the wing all game. I think Jetta can match him aerially as well. Something to debate anyway.
    I agre with Pyke for Tippett its our best fit and although Trex cannot play at FF when resting, he can go to the pine when off the ball. As impressive as we have been the last month, our ruck division looked thin when he was resting and we relied on our mid-field for clearances to a losing ruckman.
    An added bonus is that it frees up Sam to go head to head with Westoff, who is a real playmaker for them and a match winner against us the last time we played them.
    Jetta on Wingard is interesting because although I have doubts about his concentration, Wingard is a burst player and that is Jetta's forte.
    If Ben goes out I think they'll go with speed and that means B Jack or Rohan, one of whom will no doubt get the green vest.

On the Rookie List
    Curiously enough,this system seems to be working better than when we win the hitout! Why change it? Put that together with an increasing prescence around the ground ,Derickx would be unlucky to be dropped.He continues to improve each game reminding me that big guys take longer to mature as players

i think Tom has a great advantage also this year as he is riding the wave of momentum in a very very good team

when you watch some players who have slow reaction speed or slow decision making you think they will never make it.......they appear to over think their options and too much time leads to confusion............BUT when you have a top4 team with a world class midfield that constantly communicate, well all you have to do is follow their instruction

when you watch closely most of Toms disposals are when a Swans player runs straight past him on an angled run and he simply offloads.........so far it is working !!

It has been invaluable to have him out there with Mike injured a lot this preseason / season and not available much - he has had a real dig
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Tough on Derrickx

He's been better than that.
    I think its a pretty fair reflection, although one can definitely not say he hasn't put in 110%. The guy is doing an admirable job, but he still has a lot to learn in relation to the actual ruck contests, and we were handsomely smashed in the ruck on Sunday. You can't argue he hasn't been putting in a fantastic effort, but once Pyke is fully fit, and assuming we play just one ruck, the decision is a no brainer to me as to who to pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Curiously enough,this system seems to be working better than when we win the hitout! Why change it? Put that together with an increasing prescence around the ground ,Derickx would be unlucky to be dropped.He continues to improve each game reminding me that big guys take longer to mature as players
    That's fair enough Hartijon, but its exceptionally hard to mount a solid argument that says Derickx is better around the ground than Pyke. Pyke holds on to a lot of marks, Derickx does not. I really like Derickx, I think he has done a lot of good in recent weeks, but his ruckwork is only ok at best, and whilst he works hard around the ground, so does a fit Pyke. He would be very unlucky to be dropped, but if Tippett is fit and Pyke is considered 100% fit, then its the decision I would make, without one hesitation.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

It will be fascinating on the Pyke v Derickx decision. I think a lot on here are overrating Pyke's work for us on the basis of his last quarter in 2012. He was a very good contested mark in the forward line in the first half of 2013 but when a fit mummy came back it was obvious that mummy was far and away a better footballer, covered more ground had more impact on contests and was comprehensively the better ruckman.

Pyke has his skills but his ruckwork is highly predictable for both teams - he taps directly in front of the contest about 80% of the time and he clearly at least in my opinion, struggles to run out games as the number 1 ruck. As a resting ruck he is three times the player that derickx is forward of centre, but not much better behind the ball in the traditional ruckmans position as he gets to a reasonable number of contests but is simply not as good marking the ball in those circumstances.

He is a better tap ruckman than derickx who in my view plays the game like a poor man's mummy. all heart and body and crashing into people and trying to open up passages. But as someone who is there to negate and block and scrap and scrag I would choose derickx every time because he understands his role and doesnt try to do more than that.

And I suspect pyke would have been beaten at just as many centre bounces as day and mcintosh beat derickx - our centre square work really is never very good. it is around the ground where our rucks shine best and I lean towards Pyke but not by all that much at all.

I don't think it is at all clear that pyke fits our team better than derickx, although our team absent tippett he probably does. If tippett out he comes in. If tippett plays then i lean pyke but it wouldnt take much for me to have my mind swayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    As for Wingard, one a bit out of left field, how about Jetta goes to him. Makes Wingard accountable and drags him out of the forward line when Jetta is on the counter attack. I would like to see him running up and down the wing all game. I think Jetta can match him aerially as well. Something to debate anyway.
    No thanks.

The AFLs best small defender....Nick Smith.

Will go to the AFLs best small forward....Wingard

Should be a great match up.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Full marks to Derickx for his workrate and competitiveness. He's been useful while we've needed him but he's one of the more limited footballers I've ever seen.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    It will be fascinating on the Pyke v Derickx decision. I think a lot on here are overrating Pyke's work for us on the basis of his last quarter in 2012. He was a very good contested mark in the forward line in the first half of 2013 but when a fit mummy came back it was obvious that mummy was far and away a better footballer, covered more ground had more impact on contests and was comprehensively the better ruckman.

Pyke has his skills but his ruckwork is highly predictable for both teams - he taps directly in front of the contest about 80% of the time and he clearly at least in my opinion, struggles to run out games as the number 1 ruck. As a resting ruck he is three times the player that derickx is forward of centre, but not much better behind the ball in the traditional ruckmans position as he gets to a reasonable number of contests but is simply not as good marking the ball in those circumstances.

He is a better tap ruckman than derickx who in my view plays the game like a poor man's mummy. all heart and body and crashing into people and trying to open up passages. But as someone who is there to negate and block and scrap and scrag I would choose derickx every time because he understands his role and doesnt try to do more than that.

And I suspect pyke would have been beaten at just as many centre bounces as day and mcintosh beat derickx - our centre square work really is never very good. it is around the ground where our rucks shine best and I lean towards Pyke but not by all that much at all.

I don't think it is at all clear that pyke fits our team better than derickx, although our team absent tippett he probably does. If tippett out he comes in. If tippett plays then i lean pyke but it wouldnt take much for me to have my mind swayed.
    I agree with much of your assessment, except that I rate Pyke a better ruckman than you have. I will have to watch more closely to see how predictable his tapwork is.

You might recall that there was considerable debate last year about who was the better ruckman between Mummy and Pyke. They have different techniques, but thought Pyke's ruckwork was more effective overall, despite Mummy's bollocking around the contests. The thing that tipped the scales in Pyke's favour, IMO, was his strong marking and goal kicking, something that's been absent this year.

To be fair, Pyke had an interrupted preseason and just when he seemed to be getting it together, he strained his hamstring. So we can only hope that he can return to last year's form. If he does, I rate him as a one of the better ruckman going around.

Derickx has come around more than I thought he would and has done an admirable job filling in, but I don't think he's in the same league as Pyke. Even though Tom was generally beaten by Smith, I thought it was his best game and is looking more comfortable at AFL level. His kicking is not bad at all.

I think the call on who plays this week will depend on how they look at training. I feel that regardless of whether Tippett comes up, we should only play one legit ruckman and have Reid fill in. PA only have one ruckman as well, so it's even on that account. More worried about Port's run and prefer that we have another midfielder to match their balance.

Veteran Site Admin
    What Derickx has brought to the side is good endurance. He has been able to act as ruck battering ram for very long periods of games, maybe not particularly effective but at least limiting the opposition's ability to direct taps to their midfielders. That means that Reid has only needed to play short minutes in the ruck. Does Pyke have the same endurance, especially given his interrupted pre-season and now his hamstring injury?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree with much of your assessment, except that I rate Pyke a better ruckman than you have. I will have to watch more closely to see how predictable his tapwork is.

You might recall that there was considerable debate last year about who was the better ruckman between Mummy and Pyke. They have different techniques, but thought Pyke's ruckwork was more effective overall, despite Mummy's bollocking around the contests. The thing that tipped the scales in Pyke's favour, IMO, was his strong marking and goal kicking, something that's been absent this year.

To be fair, Pyke had an interrupted preseason and just when he seemed to be getting it together, he strained his hamstring. So we can only hope that he can return to last year's form. If he does, I rate him as a one of the better ruckman going around.

Derickx has come around more than I thought he would and has done an admirable job filling in, but I don't think he's in the same league as Pyke. Even though Tom was generally beaten by Smith, I thought it was his best game and is looking more comfortable at AFL level. His kicking is not bad at all.

I think the call on who plays this week will depend on how they look at training. I feel that regardless of whether Tippett comes up, we should only play one legit ruckman and have Reid fill in. PA only have one ruckman as well, so it's even on that account. More worried about Port's run and prefer that we have another midfielder to match their balance.
    If you can't decide at who is better between Pyke and Tom D, ask yourself whether Tom D could do this against the best team in all sports?

Rugby Canada - Mike Pyke Try vs. New Zealand - 2007 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Does Pyke have the same endurance, especially given his interrupted pre-season and now his hamstring injury?
    That's the question of the week. It's why we fans can't make determinations based on fitness and have to leave it to the medicos and coaches who are close to the situation. I'll be happy with whatever decision they arrive at.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    If you can't decide at who is better between Pyke and Tom D, ask yourself whether Tom D could do this against the best team in all sports?

Rugby Canada - Mike Pyke Try vs. New Zealand - 2007 - YouTube
    I think we've all seen that one Matt. But if there was ever a question who you would pick in a rugby match, that would be the sealer.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast