Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overpaid Players

The list is pretty spot on Ernie, why do you have to turn it into a Melbourne media are biased rant? I know a lot of them are, but Garry Lyon is one of the better and fairer footy writers I've read. Reid has not yet earned his 500k a year, that's not to say he won't but he certainly hasn't performed as a player on that salary should. The reason most on the list are interstate players is because of the 2 expansion clubs throwing stupid money at players , not that difficult to comprehend I wouldn't have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    The list is pretty spot on Ernie, why do you have to turn it into a Melbourne media are biased rant? I know a lot of them are, but Garry Lyon is one of the better and fairer footy writers I've read. Reid has not yet earned his 500k a year, that's not to say he won't but he certainly hasn't performed as a player on that salary should. The reason most on the list are interstate players is because of the 2 expansion clubs throwing stupid money at players , not that difficult to comprehend I wouldn't have thought.
    I spent many years living in Melbourne and loved it I'm not on an ante Melbourne thing.

But when I hear the endless uninformed crap, like the COLA stuff, the Bondi Billionaires, etc, coming out of Melbourne.

Then I see a list like Lyons'. My point is not that most of those on his list aren't overpaid.

My point is that there are, no doubt, many overpaid players, on many of the poorer performing Melbourne clubs lists....For example. Stuart Crameri, Mitch Clark(before he retired)

IMO Lyon has chosen to focus on the easy, obvious targets, which will create lots of head nodding from Melbourne based clubs fans....his audience.

A more thought provoking and interesting perspective would be, to do some research and a little more digging, and focus on how many overpaid players those clubs, whinging about equalization and

inability to spend their cap, have on their lists. ie: Poor list, and financial, management.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 15th June 2014 at 12:43 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I spent many years living in Melbourne and loved it I'm not on an ante Melbourne thing.

But when I hear the endless uninformed crap, like the COLA stuff, the Bondi Billionaires, etc, coming out of Melbourne.

Then I see a list like Lyons'. My point is not that most of those on his list aren't overpaid.

My point is that there are, no doubt, many overpaid players, on many of the poorer performing Melbourne clubs lists....For example. Stuart Crameri, Mitch Clark(before he retired)

IMO Lyon has chosen to focus on the easy, obvious targets, which will create lots of head nodding from Melbourne based clubs fans....his audience.

A more thought provoking and interesting perspective would be, to do some research and a little more digging, and focus on how many overpaid players those clubs, whinging about equalization and

inability to spend their cap, have on their lists. ie: Poor list, and financial, management.
    Ernie, are you upset with Jed Lamb being on the list? Lamb was a red and white favourite who could do no wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Ernie, are you upset with Jed Lamb being on the list? Lamb was a red and white favourite who could do no wrong!

No.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I suspect Stell's point is kind of right, that it's a bit anti-Sydney biased, but possibly not deliberately but because the GWS and Swans have a lot of players who were traded in - which was kind of the point of COLA, that 85-90% of our list even now comes from outside Sydney. As trades their market price is a lot better known than those not traded.

Suns are in a similar position but apart from Gary and Karmichael, who's obviously not earning his way on the field, does it have any high-priced players?

I thought Sam Reid's fist was a pretty good response to Lyons. It's true he's been getting paid on potential, but he's barely played in the last season and a half so it's still too early to make a call, especially for a player who's just 22.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    I suspect Stell's point is kind of right, that it's a bit anti-Sydney biased, but possibly not deliberately but because the GWS and Swans have a lot of players who were traded in - which was kind of the point of COLA, that 85-90% of our list even now comes from outside Sydney. As trades their market price is a lot better known than those not traded.

Suns are in a similar position but apart from Gary and Karmichael, who's obviously not earning his way on the field, does it have any high-priced players?

I thought Sam Reid's fist was a pretty good response to Lyons. It's true he's been getting paid on potential, but he's barely played in the last season and a half so it's still too early to make a call, especially for a player who's just 22.
    Also, when Sam was playing as our sole forward he always incurred the best defender, and was still a raw talent with very little big man support.
    So he struggled to make an impact.

On the Rookie List
    There will always going to overpaid players going around due to clubs being forced to pay a certain percentage of the salary cap. Not sure what that percentage is though - I think somewhere around 90%. This essentially means the wages of a top club that are maxing out their salary cap are not that different from a bottom club. It's arguable that most players in bottom clubs are overpaid based on their clubs performance.

Clubs must pay a 95% minimum for total player payments and additional services agreements (capped marketing-related payments).

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    +1 on that.

Reid hasn't earned his money yet but locking him up at overs was a smart move. Key forwards will always attract big money from rival clubs, especially a key forward from Vic with a brother playing at a Melb based club - Garry Lyon probably should have mentioned this. His next contract probably won't be any more $$ than he is already on and he could easily develop into one of the gun CHB's in the league, he seems to play with much more confidence in the defensive 50 than the forward 50.

Veterans List
    And from a man who bagged the Swans a few years ago midway through the season, then admitted he hadn't watched one of our games live or on TV. I would suggest he was overpaid when he played. Only ever played out of full forward, was slow and always looked unfit to me. Always thought he was overrated based on a couple of very good games.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Couldn't agree more Stella. I don't think Reid deserved to be on that list. If you listen to how much Horse loves him. Dawes is an absolute dud for $500 k

I thought he was harsh on Eddie betts. Looking at him versus Thomas, Carlton should have saved $200 k and stuck with Eddie who has been ok

Cousin Gary has written a really stupid article there
    some like to shock !!!!

Reidy is a tremendous young talent

who is younger and better in the AFL ?

maybe a few like Cameron etc ?

either way there are 12 or more clubs who do not have a player the same age as Sam Reid, versatile as Sam Reid, skilful as Sam nor have the potential that he has for so many years ahead !

It is very very rare that a Key Possie Forward dominates before 24yrs of age !

Just look at the states of the best Key Possie forwards

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    At 500K a year, in his early 20's. Reid is developing into an excellent utility who can play pretty much anywhere on the ground.

IMO, he's only going to get better and is worth every penny, he shouldn't be on the list.

There are no doubt a plethora of over paid players at the poor performing melbourne clubs....

But Lyon has chosen to focus on interstate clubs....(8 of his 10 picks)

More of the same, lazy, small minded, preaching to the converted, that we so often here coming from Melbourne footy journos.

Agree ern

plus he is only on an average of $500k pa max from what we heard over the last couple of years in the media

ie 400, 450, 500, 550, 600 over the 5 years

completely in alignment with his talent and the cap
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    And from a man who bagged the Swans a few years ago midway through the season, then admitted he hadn't watched one of our games live or on TV. I would suggest he was overpaid when he played. Only ever played out of full forward, was slow and always looked unfit to me. Always thought he was overrated based on a couple of very good games.
    Have a look at the last 20 seconds of the below clip. It's a preliminary final and Lyon delivers a Buddy bomb with a wet ball. He was a brilliant player when fit and going. All class.

VFL Football Preliminary Final 1988 - Carlton v Melbourne - YouTube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast