Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overpaid Players

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Overpaid Players

Interesting article from Gary Lyon. I've put it in the Swans file because one of ours is on his list: guess who?

And I expect one or two of the others might provoke some discussion.

AFL's top 10 overpaid players
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Interesting article from Gary Lyon. I've put it in the Swans file because one of ours is on his list: guess who?

And I expect one or two of the others might provoke some discussion.

AFL's top 10 overpaid players
    OK, not the one I was thinking of.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Phil Davis has had a pretty tough time with injuries (I'm amazed he's playing tonight, by the way) over the last two seasons. I actually thought he was coming close to earning his money in the GWS' first season, it's amazing how much better their defence looks with him out there. Yes, $750k is too much- but I think in his case it was understandable given the circumstances, if you compare it to Sam's $500k I think as young key position players they were both at close to the same level when signing, then there's obviously an additional bunch of bucks that had to compensate moving to a startup club that was expected to suck. All up I'd agree he's overpaid based on onfield output so far, but I don't think the suggestion he needs to snag an AA to justify the contract is completely accurate. My understanding is he was targeted as much for his leadership as for his football abilities, too.

Sam also hasn't had the best of runs with injuries, although nowhere near Davis', and I think it's fair to say he has struggled. I'd be surprised, though, if there weren't a handful of guys more overpaid in the comp to squeeze him out of the top 10. $500k is a reasonable going rate for him, really, if he can keep up his form of the last few weeks (granted, Lyon acknowledged as much). I don't doubt if he was available for trade there'd be a hell of a lot of clubs willing to be paying his $500k p.a., which suggests it's fair market value.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    Should add as well- I'm not sure that Jed at $300k is really one of the top 10 overpaid guys in the AFL.

It does seem like Gary's still got a healthy case of annoyance over Scully leaving Melbourne and is taking the opportunity to make a point. Would he have included Mitch Clark in the list if he hadn't retired, I wonder?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    300k for a fringe 22 player (dropped again this week) is overpaying

Blog Entries
    How much is Tom Mitchell on?

I'm not saying he's not overpaid, just questioning if he's really in the top 10 overpaid guys in the league.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    How much is Tom Mitchell on?

I'm not saying he's not overpaid, just questioning if he's really in the top 10 overpaid guys in the league.
    Tom Scully ?? 1 Mill per year apparently....

Suspended by the MRP
    Sam Reid had 7 tackles today and it's clear watching live how much had defensive work he does. He consistently chases the small/medium half back runners and puts on great pressure.

He is far better defensibly than a Travis Cloke, Jack Reawalt or a Tom Hawkins. What he needs to do is have spells in games where he kicks 3-4 goals (Gold-coast game). It's extremely difficult as Tippett and Buddy are the tall focal points.

His punch for a point late in the Port game was a vital intervention and he can be relied on to play that spare man in defence role when required.

The best part of Sam is that he is improving in every aspect of his game. He may have been sited as a KPP, but what I think we have is another LRT, a developing player who can take the heat anywhere. I would call it far sited negotiation by the Swans; lock in the best and keep developing it way past its original description.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodStainAngel View Post
    Tom Scully ?? 1 Mill per year apparently....
    Yep, and he's understandably in there at #1! My thoughts when reading the article were mainly just "guy in media with close association to a particular club taking the opportunity to bang on about something that is relevant for that club", which obviously the footy media is full of anyway.

GWS nabbed Scully, which Melbourne weren't happy about so have an existing axe to grind (to be fair, Lyon is relatively kind in that article). Beyond that, and I don't know if it's still the case, Melbourne were one of the clubs not paying the full salary cap because they don't have the bucks to do it- I believe only going circa 90% of the cap? It find it interesting that 5/10 players come from Sydney based clubs who receive COLA, and I don't think it's necessarily because those are the clubs most likely to have silly contracts- I expect it's because Lyon started off with "let's look at the contracts the Swans and Giants have". I do think GWS is overpaying guys, but I just question whether there's not guys getting more overpaid than a handful of those on the lists- Chris Dawes has been on the same bucks at the Demons ($500k p.a.) as Sam Reid for the last couple of years, I wonder where he sat in Garry's calculations (or if he was even considered)? Jed @ $300k for a fringe player is too much, but is he saying there's not someone on equivalent bucks in a similar position at every club in the comp? I suspect there would be, is Jed really the worst of those lot or contributing the least at senior level?

At first glance I thought it was a reasonable article, interesting read- but when I thought about it I was then left thinking it was just feeding people the sort of sensationalism they want, and serving a purpose for an author who has a conflict of interest in this regard.

Couldn't agree more Stella. I don't think Reid deserved to be on that list. If you listen to how much Horse loves him. Dawes is an absolute dud for $500 k

I thought he was harsh on Eddie betts. Looking at him versus Thomas, Carlton should have saved $200 k and stuck with Eddie who has been ok

Cousin Gary has written a really stupid article there
    Last edited by Reggi; 15th June 2014 at 11:26 AM.

At 500K a year, in his early 20's. Reid is developing into an excellent utility who can play pretty much anywhere on the ground.

IMO, he's only going to get better and is worth every penny, he shouldn't be on the list.

There are no doubt a plethora of over paid players at the poor performing melbourne clubs....

But Lyon has chosen to focus on interstate clubs....(8 of his 10 picks)

More of the same, lazy, small minded, preaching to the converted, that we so often here coming from Melbourne footy journos.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast