Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paul Roos looking for class midfielders

Wonder if there was a similar thread about josh Kennedy in the hawthorn board a few years back...
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

TomMitchell is just in one of those phases where we have a winning team, we have all players playing very well, he has been in and out due to injury and his pre season limited BUT Lloyd and Cunningham have given our team a tremendous flexibility and allowed our coaches to isolate our other key players into great advantage

Look at the benefits we have had with harry and Lloyd playing run with roles on fast players and allowing our other midfielders shine........tommy could not play on some of the faster opposition players which limits his appeal just a little with current choices

Tommy is a 10 year AFL player no doubt but money will determine who we can keep and who we cant...........The Swans with the roster they have are in the same possie as the Hawks the last few years now where it is difficult to keep all players and Melb will pay overs and so will a few other teams on the fringe of the 8

In my opinion Bird and Mitchell will be in hot demand from other clubs as they bring an important component of inside work for teams wanting to improve to truly become gritty and more competitive

but the irony is that if we have a couple injuries tommy is back in there and will fire !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I really don't think this is about Tom Mitchell so much as a general list management issue. Tom is the focus because he has the best trade value of any player that's not a regular in the side.

We have been very fortunate the way quality midfielders seem to be falling out of the trees for us, and they have arrived in so many different ways. On the other hand, we haven't had so much luck when it comes to KPPs, and if not for the genius of Andrew Ireland and Co. we may not be sitting so pretty at the moment.

We don't know for sure how things will turn out, but by weight of number alone, it would seem that we will have more good midfielders than we know what to do with and a possible shortage in KPPs, particular defenders.

The article that Paul Roos is looking for another couple of classy midfielders brings up the question of whether we should be proactive about adjusting this anomaly or wait and see how things unfold.

1. Trade out proven quality.
    2. Trade in potential quality.
    3. ?????????
    4. Premiership

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I really don't think this is about Tom Mitchell so much as a general list management issue. Tom is the focus because he has the best trade value of any player that's not a regular in the side.

We have been very fortunate the way quality midfielders seem to be falling out of the trees for us, and they have arrived in so many different ways. On the other hand, we haven't had so much luck when it comes to KPPs, and if not for the genius of Andrew Ireland and Co. we may not be sitting so pretty at the moment.

We don't know for sure how things will turn out, but by weight of number alone, it would seem that we will have more good midfielders than we know what to do with and a possible shortage in KPPs, particular defenders.

The article that Paul Roos is looking for another couple of classy midfielders brings up the question of whether we should be proactive about adjusting this anomaly or wait and see how things unfold.
    Agree luds. Effective list management requires the club to be pro-active and at times ruthless. Hard decisions are required. Certainly creates passionate debate. In order to make these hard decisions, we need to see if the likes of Membrey, Robinson, Nankervis, Naismith, Biggs, etc can cut it at senior level. We have already seen what Rohan and BJ have to offer. We have a number of games remaining (RCH, GWS, CAR, ESS, STK, WB, RCH) where I would like to rotate all these types of player's through. One or two at a time so we are not exposing them too much.

We have to keep Mitchell. He will be a star and is part of the Swans tradition.

I believe Horse is planning for Sam Reid to go back when a position opens up. Sam and AJ will be the foundation for the next generation of our defense.

Hopefully X, Biggs, Rohan and (in an ideal world) Alir will be there to complete the package.

If Alir can learn to use the strength he has, he could be awesome. My view is we should send him to a Redfern boxing gym over the summer and get some mongrel into him.

i love aj as much as the next person but i simply would not be placing any faith in him as the next generation of tall swans defender. he has a LONG LONG road back to the afl level and the lesser pressure gets placed on him internally and externally is the best we can do for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    i love aj as much as the next person but i simply would not be placing any faith in him as the next generation of tall swans defender. he has a LONG LONG road back to the afl level and the lesser pressure gets placed on him internally and externally is the best we can do for him.
    I agree with what you are saying on an intellectual level. I mean Rohan is a good example of how hard it can be to recapture pre-injury form. And we should definitely not pressure the young man. But there is something about AJ that makes me think he is going to come back strong and eventually be a great key defender. This belief is probably unreasonable. But hey, football is the home of unreasonable beliefs.

Suspended by the MRP
    At the current trade projection the Swans will get pick 17 in the NAB AFL Draft in November. The Swans may well use that pick to get Isacc Heeney, who will attract a bid before pick 17.

If the Swans trade out some fringe players in the trade period and get another first round pick before 17 (ie pick 11) does that pick 11 now need to be used for Heeney if there is a bid before pick 11?

If that is the case, suddenly Heeney becomes more expensive than what he was before we improved our draft position!

With this in mind it may be affect how we deal in the trade period.

If players do want to be traded we may try and get one ore two picks between 18 - 25, so we don't overpay for Heeney?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    At the current trade projection the Swans will get pick 17 in the NAB AFL Draft in November. The Swans may well use that pick to get Isacc Heeney, who will attract a bid before pick 17.

If the Swans trade out some fringe players in the trade period and get another first round pick before 17 (ie pick 11) does that pick 11 now need to be used for Heeney if there is a bid before pick 11?

If that is the case, suddenly Heeney becomes more expensive than what he was before we improved our draft position!

With this in mind it may be affect how we deal in the trade period.

If players do want to be traded we may try and get one ore two picks between 18 - 25, so we don't overpay for Heeney?
    a) Hard to see how we are likely to trade out 'fringe players' and land up with pick 11 (or similar).

b) Whatever we do at the trade table won't affect the pick we will have to commit to if we want Heeney. The bidding process happens before trade week starts.

Saw a rumour on an admittedly dubious Afl trade rumours page on Facebook suggesting Mitchell wanted out and Melbourne are sniffing around. Would hate to lose Tommy and not suggesting I have any faith In the tripe that the above mentioned rumours page peddles, but it certainly has me thinking that if Tommy is getting frustrated at lack of oppurtunity ( again, he's been injured I know ) it looms as a huge list management decision on how we handle it. All hypotheticals of course , but interesting ones nonetheless. Does anyone know his contract status, I was sure he signed a longish deal when he first singed but he's been with us a while now. Is this his 3rd year in our list ?

Here's a possible midfield group of the future, available starting 2016. Interesting to note who is not on the list.
    I made the list so that Hanners, at 25 yo. would be the oldest midfielder listed. It's only 2 years away. 12 players, excluding Mitchell.

CTRZak JonesHeeneyJake Lloyd
    RkDunkley HanneberyLuke Parker
    HFCunninghamBrandon Jack
    INTHewittLloyd PerrisDaniel Robinson
    SUBCallum Mills

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast