Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paul Roos looking for class midfielders

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Saw a rumour on an admittedly dubious Afl trade rumours page on Facebook suggesting Mitchell wanted out and Melbourne are sniffing around. Would hate to lose Tommy and not suggesting I have any faith In the tripe that the above mentioned rumours page peddles, but it certainly has me thinking that if Tommy is getting frustrated at lack of oppurtunity ( again, he's been injured I know ) it looms as a huge list management decision on how we handle it. All hypotheticals of course , but interesting ones nonetheless. Does anyone know his contract status, I was sure he signed a longish deal when he first singed but he's been with us a while now. Is this his 3rd year in our list ?
    If that is true and Tom wants to go, then we have to deal with Melbourne in good faith.

There is one player on the Melbourne list that I'm sure the Swans would love to get their hands on:

Tom McDonald - 22 year old, athletic key defender who had developed into a very strong player. He came 3rd in the B and F in 2012.

Melbourne would not give him away easily, and it would cost more than Tom Mitchell to get that deal done. Not sure if Tom would be open to it.

If the Swans could get McDonald our key defensive worries would end.

This is just a proposed deal:

Tom Mitchell and Zak Jones to Melbourne in exchange for Tom McDonald.

That would give Roos one midfielder (Mitchell) and another who would come on well being reunited with his big brother.

The Swans would get their long term key defender.

People will scream that I've given away young midfielders, but we have Heeney, Dunkley and Mills emerging.

Matt , that deal you suggested, that is ridiculous. Would not happen in a million years. The swans develop or recycle their key defenders , we don't give up high draft picks or quality players for them. If they wanted Mitchell and he wanted to leave , I think we would swap our first round selections and receive a later selection. Say Mitchell and pick 17 for pick 6 (?) and pick 44 (?). Mitchell is rated extremely highly internally and in wider afl circles, he wouldn't be given up lightly, certainly not packaged up with another highly rated youngster.

We can't trade our first round pick, since we will commit that pick to Heeney.

I like McDonald, but he's not a great kick. I think Mitchell is worth more than McDonald in a straight swap.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Matt , that deal you suggested, that is ridiculous. Would not happen in a million years. The swans develop or recycle their key defenders , we don't give up high draft picks or quality players for them. If they wanted Mitchell and he wanted to leave , I think we would swap our first round selections and receive a later selection. Say Mitchell and pick 17 for pick 6 (?) and pick 44 (?). Mitchell is rated extremely highly internally and in wider afl circles, he wouldn't be given up lightly, certainly not packaged up with another highly rated youngster.
    Okay maybe I'm giving too much away. Just ideas.

I think on current trade currency, Mitchell is worth between pick 15 - 25. He has played half a season of good senior football and but has largely been injured for the rest of his time at the Swans. He is a excellent tackler and inside ball winner, with good use of handball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I really don't want to restart the trade Tom Mitchell talk again .....................
    So why restart it?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

If mitchel cannot get a game in the 1's, then hes worth a second round pick at best.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jam View Post
    I agree with what you are saying on an intellectual level. I mean Rohan is a good example of how hard it can be to recapture pre-injury form. And we should definitely not pressure the young man. But there is something about AJ that makes me think he is going to come back strong and eventually be a great key defender. This belief is probably unreasonable. But hey, football is the home of unreasonable beliefs.
    Maybe Nic Mal has shown the way for AJ. Before his last setback AJ said in an interview that he had been studying the position of full back in his time off and was eyeing Ted's job when Ted was ready to give it up. I too believe he has shown the determination and confidence that will see him give it his best shot to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If mitchel cannot get a game in the 1's, then hes worth a second round pick at best.
    He'd be a lock in the seniors if he'd just stop getting injured for 5 minutes. Maybe we should trade him before everyone decides he's injury prone.

Simplistic crap. To suggest he's just a journeyman worth a 2nd round pick shows what little understanding you have for the game.

His first dozen or so games last year were as good as any.

He's had a bad run with injuries since, as happens to many players.

Once he gets some continuity he'll be elite.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Simplistic crap. To suggest he's just a journeyman worth a 2nd round pick shows what little understanding you have for the game.

His first dozen or so games last year were as good as any.

He's had a bad run with injuries since, as happens to many players.

Once he gets some continuity he'll be elite.
    Sorry Ernie. I'm with Barry on this one. If Mitchell wanted to leave, the Swans could only expect a pick 15 - 25 for him (late first round, early second round. He has played some good games in the 2nd half of 2013, but has spent most of his other 2 years at the Swans on the physiotherapy table.

He does not have the speed to break the lines and is not the greatest deliverer by foot. People get nostalgic about Father/Son players because they see the old man in the young man, but the Swans and Tom know that this industry is a business.

Tom?s manager will be getting improved offers now for Tom?s services. He needs to decide whether it?s worth taking an improved offer or try and break into the best midfield in the competition.

I think when you see someone like Lloyd coming off the rookie list and playing well in the seniors, you realise that there is a lot of less heralded talent in the club, who are itching to make their mark and cost less than a Tom Mitchell.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Come now, Tom isn't the SCG!
    Dom Tyson had an injury plagued couple of years and only managed 13 games for GWS in total (with just 3 in 2013), yet was able to nab GWS No.2, No.20 and No.72 for Tyson and picks No.9 and No.53 from Melbourne. Dom's been good for Melbourne. I'd suggest Tom has close to similar currency, even toiling away in the magoos because his senior team is going gangbusters and it's hard to get a spot.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Goes up to 11
    Tom's currency to us is on the field, for a very long time to come. He's young. Had some injuries. He's a special player and the Swans haven't gotten to where they are by letting go of special players.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast