Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practice Match: Sydney Swans Reserves v UWS Giants

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Heeney finished with 32 according to Twitter. Roos jnr the 2nd also got amongst it!

I have watched a fair bit of our seconds this year. Membrey deserves a go, Nanka no his marks at reserves level would be all punched away at seniors. He is playing on midget Dwarfs at the moment

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    There was an article about the game on the AFL app (can't find it on their web site) saying that Heeney had 20-odd (IIRC) possessions in the first half when the game was up for grabs and was generally excellent.
    Found it :
    Young Ram Heeney in fine form at Championships - AFL.com.au

Anyone know why GWS didn't take Steele in last years draft? Is he still in their academy?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    Anyone know why GWS didn't take Steele in last years draft? Is he still in their academy?
    He missed most if not all of last season with an injury as far as I know

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    He reads pretty similarly to Membrey

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Someone asked about Rohan in another thread. He played in defence for 3 quarters before shifting to an on-ball position for the last. He was constantly looking to weave his way through traffic, some times successful other times not. When he did manage to break clear it was very exciting and certainly opened up the play, but when he didn't he would be forced into a hurried handball.

LRT played forward but was quiet, didn't remember him being involved in many passages of play but still managed to cop a whack to the head and sported a head bandage in the last term.

I didn't think it was Membrey's best game despite his 5 goals, but pleasingly had his radar back on track with 5 straight (and one no score from a set shot) after returns of 3.5 and 3.4 in the last 2 weeks. Cam McCarthy started on him which was a surprise as Lachie Plowman has done well on him in the past. He spent some time in the midfield again, I don't think he will play there in the seniors but mobility not an issue.

Robinson was probably our best on-baller against a strong UWS midfield. He's starting to show some nice finishing skills around goal too. Marsh split time between halfback and midfield, kicked the goal of the day with a tremendous sprint through the corridor before settling and kicking truly from just inside 50.

Nankervis started the game in the ruck with Naismith up forward. It was an intriguing ruck duel with UWS fielding three genuine rucks in Giles, Phillips and Downie (and choosing to not play another one in Lobb). Naismith was arguably the better Swans ruck on the day and it was during his spell in the middle in the 2nd quarter that the Swans kicked ahead and were never headed.

Defence held up okay, I didn't think they were to blame for many of the multiple UWS set shots (that they subsequently missed). More marks taken on the lead and in space rather than being outmuscled in defence. Walsh and Aliir looked comfortable against their much bigger opponents. Dick also spent time off a wing during the game. Biggs some pinpoint kicks out of defence early in the game when the Giants were really on top but didn't notice him much after that.

Toppies were pretty good as usual, #54 Wetzlar showed some lively play around the half forward area. He finished with 1 and could have had 3 if he had kicked straight. Can't remember who #53 was (don't have my notes with me) but he was also solid and didn't panic during some one-on-one plays in our defensive 50.

Other notes: An umpire went down some time during the second quarter. Didn't see the incident myself but heard it was due to a player collision. With no emergency umpire on standby the 2 remaining ones had to cover half the ground each instead of the usual 3rd and they were certainly feeling the effects as the game went on.

Longmire was there (also watched the RAMS game, as was Berbakov) but left some time during the 3rd quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    He reads pretty similarly to Membrey
    Dosser i think he more of a Parker from other reports ie equally strong in the midfield as well as upfront as a med forward

It will be interesting to see what happens for him in the 2014 draft - great stats in the last game - better then Heeney who was also in the game

"Midfielder Jack Steele was best afield, picking up 32 disposals, seven clearances, 10 marks and three goals in a terrific display."

or

"Steele is a tall midfielder with good evasive skills and a good footy brain"

Read more: Rookie has sights set on following cousin's lead
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Dosser i think he more of a Parker from other reports ie equally strong in the midfield as well as upfront as a med forward

It will be interesting to see what happens for him in the 2014 draft - great stats in the last game - better then Heeney who was also in the game

"Midfielder Jack Steele was best afield, picking up 32 disposals, seven clearances, 10 marks and three goals in a terrific display."

or

"Steele is a tall midfielder with good evasive skills and a good footy brain"

Read more: Rookie has sights set on following cousin's lead
    Thanks Auntie. As is my usual custom, I was speaking from ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Someone asked about Rohan in another thread. He played in defence for 3 quarters before shifting to an on-ball position for the last. He was constantly looking to weave his way through traffic, some times successful other times not. When he did manage to break clear it was very exciting and certainly opened up the play, but when he didn't he would be forced into a hurried handball.

LRT played forward but was quiet, didn't remember him being involved in many passages of play but still managed to cop a whack to the head and sported a head bandage in the last term.

I didn't think it was Membrey's best game despite his 5 goals, but pleasingly had his radar back on track with 5 straight (and one no score from a set shot) after returns of 3.5 and 3.4 in the last 2 weeks. Cam McCarthy started on him which was a surprise as Lachie Plowman has done well on him in the past. He spent some time in the midfield again, I don't think he will play there in the seniors but mobility not an issue.

Robinson was probably our best on-baller against a strong UWS midfield. He's starting to show some nice finishing skills around goal too. Marsh split time between halfback and midfield, kicked the goal of the day with a tremendous sprint through the corridor before settling and kicking truly from just inside 50.

Nankervis started the game in the ruck with Naismith up forward. It was an intriguing ruck duel with UWS fielding three genuine rucks in Giles, Phillips and Downie (and choosing to not play another one in Lobb). Naismith was arguably the better Swans ruck on the day and it was during his spell in the middle in the 2nd quarter that the Swans kicked ahead and were never headed.

Defence held up okay, I didn't think they were to blame for many of the multiple UWS set shots (that they subsequently missed). More marks taken on the lead and in space rather than being outmuscled in defence. Walsh and Aliir looked comfortable against their much bigger opponents. Dick also spent time off a wing during the game. Biggs some pinpoint kicks out of defence early in the game when the Giants were really on top but didn't notice him much after that.

Toppies were pretty good as usual, #54 Wetzlar showed some lively play around the half forward area. He finished with 1 and could have had 3 if he had kicked straight. Can't remember who #53 was (don't have my notes with me) but he was also solid and didn't panic during some one-on-one plays in our defensive 50.

Other notes: An umpire went down some time during the second quarter. Didn't see the incident myself but heard it was due to a player collision. With no emergency umpire on standby the 2 remaining ones had to cover half the ground each instead of the usual 3rd and they were certainly feeling the effects as the game went on.

Longmire was there (also watched the RAMS game, as was Berbakov) but left some time during the 3rd quarter.
    Thanks for the report Ugg. I'm hoping that Rohan can develop his game in that position as his running ability could really open up the midfield and forward line. Did he actually play okay? My main doubt about him would be his defensive ability and stopping his opponent from getting the ball.

It's sad that LRT was quiet. Unfortunately, I think his career is coming to an end and we may never see him playing in the seniors again.

Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    Thanks for the report Ugg. I'm hoping that Rohan can develop his game in that position as his running ability could really open up the midfield and forward line. Did he actually play okay? My main doubt about him would be his defensive ability and stopping his opponent from getting the ball.

It's sad that LRT was quiet. Unfortunately, I think his career is coming to an end and we may never see him playing in the seniors again.
    I doubt we will see LRT unless injuries lead to him being needed this year - much like ROK. A sad way for two dual premiership players (who ever thought we'd be able to say that about swans players) to bow out, but that's footy in the current era, where sentimentality isn't even on the radar.

I know however, if either get the call, they'll show just why they have been such stars (in very different ways for us) one last time. I would of loved to see ROK hit 300 games, but father time catches up with all (as I think it is with Goodesy - although he is still showing moments of his customary brilliance).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast