Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Practice Match: Sydney Swans Reserves v UWS Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    NEAFL Wrap - Practice Match v UWS

great to see Rohan off the HBF and the last few seconds show Swampy Marsh flying off HBF, running 60m and then letting fly one of his excellent kicks on the run for a 50m goal

No reason why Marsh and Rohan could take over from Shaw and Mal in years to come on the HBF

In fact if Rohan puts his mind to it he could knock Laidler right out of the 22 for a back spot and counter like TK !!!
    Would you say Marsh > Biggs at this point in their developments?
    Felt Biggs was a chance for some "regular" games this year, but Lloyd and not many injuries has derailed that thought.
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Great to see Gaz finding a bit more of the footy on the weekend...definitely has all the phsyical attributes and skills to be a great half-back flanker. As long as his endurance is up to standard there's no reason he couldn't be a real weapon for us at the back end of this year.
    Should be of note too that the reserves games against the UWS will be the highest standard games our seconds play so particular interest should be taken in the performances/stats of these. The number of high end draft picks that can't get a game at the Giants but would walk into any other bottom 12 team is borderline farcical.

Shaun I think the easy answer is they both are not in the team as yet as there are other players ahead of them.......Marsh and Biggs that is

We obviously have very specific requirements for certain roles in the backline or forward line

Marsh i believe can do a Rampe role on the HBF in Snrs....... but if Marsh was to move into the midfield like the Swans coaching dept has initiated then he has Lloyd and Mitchell ahead of him and Robinson....... I think it truly depends on who is injured and their current role in Snrs for us to have a chance at working who will come in to Snrs when some one is out thru injury

Shaw being out certainly provides more of an opportunity for a Zac Jones style player then Marsh or Biggs

Biggs for me is naturally an outside player but not that quick......and doesnt look comfortable with a run with tight role........I like how Biggs plays but he is a little slow for an attacking defender and once again I think Rohan may have a real opportunity for the role of a little more attack like Shaw and maybe even this week !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

SwansTV: Marsh set for senior football - YouTube

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/505343

last 30 seconds of the vid above show how sharp he can be with his mark and penetrating he can be with his defence and counter kicking....... which he appears to be able to kick 55 to 60m fairly easy when I have watched in ressies

first 2:30mins bit boring to watch

He was picked for a reason and dont forget he won the repeat sprints test at the AFL Draft which is a great effort !!!

and good chance to watch him this wknd !

In Profile: Harrison Marsh - sydneyswans.com.au

Another thing that is important to mention is that sometimes the development of a player switching roles in ressies depends alot on the list.........

ie ressies has been stacked with very good midfielders this season where as next season if we loose 7 or 8 experienced players and then the likes of Lloyd, Jones, Harry keep playing firsts and or we have a few injuries we will no doubt see the likes of Harrison with another pre season under his belt really start to rise up in ressies and start to dominate partly through effort but also through opportunity to truly play an inside role for longer periods of the game

the comment the coaches suggested after 2013/14 pre season was that he was fitter they now wanted him to start to dominate but that has been difficult due to having 8 or 9 midfielders in Mitchell, BJ, Lloyd, Robinson, Jones, Perris, Hewett, Heeney, Biggs etc etc all playing alot of ressie football this season and they are all equally dominant in wanting the ball and and are very fit.
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 25th June 2014 at 08:29 AM.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    it could be said you're rather fond of Harrison, Auntie?

yep occasionally I like to stick my neck out on certain young players coming through

I must admit I thought Lloyd was another season away from Snrs..........not because of skill or decision making but I thought he would have had to bulk up a little more......how wrong I was as he has played very well so far....and the umpiring of the game and our changes in attack have very much worked for a player like Lloyd and he has grabbed the opportunity with both hands

I was also a little surprised that the coaching dept dropped ROK and went with HarryC for so many weeks in a row but I think the matchups and Rok's drop in speed all went in Harrys favour along with Harrys very very good pre season where he was knocking alot of time off his 3km time trials etc

Thanks Auntie! Great feedback!
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

yep occasionally I like to stick my neck out on certain young players coming through

I must admit I thought Lloyd was another season away from Snrs..........not because of skill or decision making but I thought he would have had to bulk up a little more......how wrong I was as he has played very well so far....and the umpiring of the game and our changes in attack have very much worked for a player like Lloyd and he has grabbed the opportunity with both hands

I was also a little surprised that the coaching dept dropped ROK and went with HarryC for so many weeks in a row but I think the matchups and Rok's drop in speed all went in Harrys favour along with Harrys very very good pre season where he was knocking alot of time off his 3km time trials etc
    FYI, John Longmire is a big wrap for Lloyd. He says that his fitness and speed is remarkable. I get the feeling that he's one of the coaches favourites along with Rampe.

It is funny u should say that about Jake Lloyd as last year, which was an incredible year for him in ressies, where he gathers 65 B & F pts (next best in low 30's) there were only fleeting mentions of him by coaching staff for the whole year. I wondered whether they were trying to keep a lid on him. The thing you would do if someone was abit cocky but he does not seem that way. So good hear that from Horse.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234