Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFL Sydney's Top 20 current players

AFL Sydney's Top 20 current players

The Sydney AFL is running a countdown over the next few weeks or so of their selection of the best 20 present day players. We can vote on Facebook apparently, but I thought it might be a bit of fun to run it on this forum too.

So come on Punters, give us some names.......

The ones who have caught my eye (all PD I'm afraid because that's all I've seen)...

Edwins (Campbelltown)
    Hudson (Wests)
    Williamson (Wests)
    Conway (Wests)
    Kiel (UNSWES)
    Kefalas (UNSWES)
    Lycacis (StG)
    Killworth (StG)
    Wason (NS)
    Lee-Steers (NS)
    K Wright (Penno)
    Shepherd (Penno)
    Wray (Penno)
    Washington (Manly)
    Armitage (Manly)
    Brain (Manly)

- - - Updated - - -

The ones who have caught my eye (all PD I'm afraid because that's all I've seen)...

Edwins (Campbelltown)
    Hudson (Wests)
    Williamson (Wests)
    Conway (Wests)
    Kiel (UNSWES)
    Kefalas (UNSWES)
    Lycacis (StG)
    Killworth (StG)
    Wason (NS)
    Lee-Steers (NS)
    K Wright (Penno)
    Shepherd (Penno)
    Goodall (Penno)
    Wray (Penno)
    Washington (Manly)
    Armitage (Manly)
    Brain (Manly)

PS - how do you edit a post when you stuff it up ?

From us I was thinking Wynn, Killworth, Lycacis, Harry Green and Merson would have a good chance to make it. Dunno about someone like Donahue. But still, doubt we get 5 in the list. Will be dominated by Manly.

On current results Saviour, I think 3 from Manly is a little light on. A couple that have stood out on my review would have to include:
    Brayden Fowler - leading goal kicker by about 20 from any one else.
    Connor Pettersson - must be in the votes in the Phelan
    Harry Koch - great game in Sydney Rep team
    David Stroud - Great rebound of half back
    Anthony Robertson - Goal kicking mid fielder
    Lachlan Kilpatrick - last years Rod Podbury medal winner, all class

Of your other nominees, Alex 'Cheese' Goodall, and Kieran Wright are obvious choices as is Selby Lee-Steere. Elkington from Sydney Uni has played a few games in prem and looks hard to beat as a ruck that can go forward. Some of the St George talls are also imposing on their day, but maybe consistency is the issue. Several people on the list get a fair bit of ball but appear to have issues with decision making and skill execution. From the Town, I think it is more the runners like Etto or Peni that catch my eye.

In the end it will be all in the eye of the beholder, and the selection criteria. Is it the 20 best or is it positional ? We could end up with 15 mid-fielders and five forwards all depending on the guide to selection. I do agree the side is likely to be dominated by Manly and would be surprised if all named above are not included.

Good post, OftenC. I would "like" you if I could.
    You're right about the Manly domination though it will be more interesting to us all if there is a spread across the PD teams.
    I hope it's the 20 best rather than positional.

But, more important, do you know how to edit a post that you have stuffed up ??
    Last edited by justabaraker; 21st June 2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo

JB, after you have submitted a post and click on it one of the options is edit. I used that to correct a typo in my last post (though doubtless I missed others )

============

I just undertook that process with this post and it may be that it is only permitted if it is done before another post follows it (you also appear to get options on emoticons like these
    Last edited by often_confused; 21st June 2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: checking

Thanks again OC.....if only I could "like" you....
    Last edited by justabaraker; 21st June 2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: problem solved !

It is clear my predictions look pretty average at the moment. There appears to be a focus on those with interstate experience and Manly is clearly not dominating. It may be a little like the 'match of the week' and the decision makers have wanted to ensure everybody gets a mention or two. Or could Penno, St George and Manly come with a rush at the end

So far as I can see JB has 3 so far and saviour 1

Quote Originally Posted by often_confused View Post
    So far as I can see JB has 3 so far and saviour 1
    Thanks for pointing this out OC - with friends like you, who needs enemies.......(just a light-hearted joke ok ?)
    I expect that the final 8 will bring out the "true champs"....in other words, the ones I tipped !!

But having seen Manly last weekend, I could go along with your selections of Koch, Petterson and Fowler.
    Interstate experience might be good on the CV of a SFL player, but I don't think it warrants their inclusion in the way that the SFL has done. But hey, there's always debate about selections like this and we wouldn't be footy lovers if we didn't all disagree.

We have completed 20 through to 6. Not sure how they are going to construct the top 5 but surely it must include:
    Fowler - top goal scorer
    Armitage - current medalist, consistent rep player
    Goodall - consistent ball winner and Penno driving force
    Pettersson - possibly best clearance player in the comp with Goodall
    Selby L-S - carrying Northshore on his back this season

However, given my success rate so far I may be wrong, the obvious players to consider who would have been in my 20 would also include Wasson and Ranga (despite his injuries).

Any others that are viewed as MUST BE IN ?

Warming the Bench
    I think some that could potentially be in the Top 5 are as follows:

Nick Ryan - St.George - one of the best forwards in the league IMO
    Kieran Wright - Penno - I haven't seen too much of him this year but he was the premier backman for many years in the comp
    Ranga - Penno - very elusive player and outstanding at his best -
    Brayden Fowler - Manly - dominating the goal kicking this year and probably the first Manly player teams plan for in their pre game
    Jeremy Kiel - UNSW - another one I haven't seen too much of this year but is a very underrated player in this comp
    Evan Smith - Sydney Uni - I am unsure how this bloke doesn't play NEAFL every single week for Uni.
    Selby Lee-Steere - North Shore - probably the best Utility player in the comp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast