Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Vs Mike

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I am with you there mcs. Pyke on the run,.......no.

He always looks slow on the run, because, well, he is. He can wear them down, but he is no sprinter into the goal square or anywhere else. He takes a great pack mark. He can now handball to advantage, he can kick for goal but close in, and he has lovely tap hands. But expecting a handball while running to goal square to protect the area while Goodsey is kicking for goal.....no. that was square on Adam's brain farting head.

Tom just played his 15th AFL game, has more or less rucked on his own for much of that time, he has been fantastic. But he probably needs a rest. Fine. But expect him back in a week or two (that's if the coaching staff think the same way I am at present), he will get better. Much better. Don't forget people, MikePyke is a 30 years old. Succession plans need to be worked on. Yes of course, Nankervis is a given, but still, we need more than one ruckman.
    Pyke obviously has some good pace. The All Blacks could not catch him!

He just needs to develop some confidence in his pace and athleticism.

The remarkable thing is that Karmichael Hunt and Israil Folau were known as quick rugby league players but appeared slow in an AFL shirt!

Just wild about Harry
    i am a Derickx fan but I had to laugh last night at one contest when he jumped unopposed and tapped it down straight on to Maric's chest - never looked like missing!

Long Term Injury List
    I am so tired of all the negativity towards our ruckmen at the moment.
    Pyke... is returning from injury. He handballs because players have obviously been told to run past for a handball. It has been happening for years now. Pyke was running back to the goal square to shepherd what should have been a regulation shot at goal from Goodsey.
    Derricx....is still learning his trade. It was written in an article somewhere that he is working on bodying the opposing ruckman not tap himself.
    In case no one has noticed, our midfielders usually read the opposition ruck taps pretty well. The past couple of weeks they haven't been quite as good at it. Might be something to do with McGlynn & Hanners not being there.
    I'm sure there are more things I could say, however, the coaches, seem to be pretty good at what they do and if they want Derrickx & Pyke in the team at this stage, that is fine by me.

Senior Player
    Part of the fun of posting here is being an armchair expert then seeing how right or wrong we are when those in charge at the club make their decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    I am so tired of all the negativity towards our ruckmen at the moment.
    Pyke... is returning from injury. He handballs because players have obviously been told to run past for a handball. It has been happening for years now. Pyke was running back to the goal square to shepherd what should have been a regulation shot at goal from Goodsey.
    Derricx....is still learning his trade. It was written in an article somewhere that he is working on bodying the opposing ruckman not tap himself.
    In case no one has noticed, our midfielders usually read the opposition ruck taps pretty well. The past couple of weeks they haven't been quite as good at it. Might be something to do with McGlynn & Hanners not being there.
    I'm sure there are more things I could say, however, the coaches, seem to be pretty good at what they do and if they want Derrickx & Pyke in the team at this stage, that is fine by me.
    I suppose we just have to get used to a lower standard of play from our ruckman after the key part our rucks have played over the last 10 years when we regularly won the taps to advantage instead to the opposition

Veterans List
    We were lucky to get out of last night with the four points. Has to be one ruckman next week or we'll get beaten for pace.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    We were lucky to get out of last night with the four points. Has to be one ruckman next week or we'll get beaten for pace.
    Agreed

Pyke at his best is not a bad ruckman. He wins his fair share of ruck contests. He's a very good contested mark and has been an accurate kick for goal. We can only hope that he can regain his form in due course. I'm not worried about his age. He should be able to go for another few years and I think we have a succession plan in place with Naismith and Nankervis.

As I have said many times, I doubt we will ever see Derickx play good footy. I know Steve Taubert is known as the 'ruck whisperer' but he would become 'the miracle worker' if he could turn Derickx into a good ruckman. Good luck to him.

We need to push along the succession plan. Nankervis looks like a player. He's got the basics right. I think we have to take a chance and push along his development. Against GWS we should drop Derickx, give Tippo another week to recover and play Nanko.

I think we might look at developing Allir as a ruckman as well. I like the idea of an athletic player who can complete around the ground.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Pyke at his best is not a bad ruckman. He wins his fair share of ruck contests. He's a very good contested mark and has been an accurate kick for goal. We can only hope that he can regain his form in due course. I'm not worried about his age. He should be able to go for another few years and I think we have a succession plan in place with Naismith and Nankervis.

As I have said many times, I doubt we will ever see Derickx play good footy. I know Steve Taubert is known as the 'ruck whisperer' but he would become 'the miracle worker' if he could turn Derickx into a good ruckman. Good luck to him.

We need to push along the succession plan. Nankervis looks like a player. He's got the basics right. I think we have to take a chance and push along his development. Against GWS we should drop Derickx, give Tippo another week to recover and play Nanko.

I think we might look at developing Allir as a ruckman as well. I like the idea of an athletic player who can complete around the ground.
    I'm with you on nanko versus gws

Nankervis - enough said

Quote Originally Posted by jetts32 View Post
    Nankervis - enough said
    Be nice to debut against a fired up Mummy - welcome to the jungle !!!

Anyone who doubts Pykes ability needs to watch the 2012 Grand final again. He just needs game time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast