Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tom Vs Mike

Senior Player
    Just watching the replay on fox. The last goal to franklin was as a result of a boundary throw in. Pyke tapped straight to k jack who then kicked to franklin who got free for being held. Point is that is that goal probably wouldn't have occurred without the tap ruck work of pyke. Yes pyke was sluggish but he got better and better. That's why I think he has more upside than Tom going forward

Goes up to 11
    Give Mike a couple of weeks to get going and he'll be fine, with Sam to assist. Tom D's been a great back-up , but he's still the back-up....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I'm sick of Pyke being a liability around the ground. He has absolutely no confidence in general play kicking and often handballs to a bloke under pressure when kicking would be the better option. He has played long enough now to learn how to kick!
    He's a great kick in front of goal though. One of our best (accuracy not distance).

What was Pyke like as a ruckman after 15 games?
    He had Mummy to learn from.
    I remember being impressed but I honestly don't remember how good he actually was.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Pyke (greatest Canadian to play AFL hands down) I just wonder if Derickx isn't being held up to unreasonable expectations

Myke was pretty frustrating to watch in the Richmond game, completely lacking confidence, couldn't hold his feet either. He might be on borrowed time, Horse isn't afraid to put Premiership players out to pasture (PPP).

You tell'em Snark!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jetts32 View Post
    Nankervis - enough said
    Yep
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

I thought that the longer the game went the better he played. His tap work in the last quarter was really good. As Jono said Tom D. is a backup ruckman who has done an outstanding job. Mike is our number 1 ruckman!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I thought that the longer the game went the better he played. His tap work in the last quarter was really good.
    Completely agree. Seemed to be tapping too hard in the first half but found his touch in the last quarter. He's obviously very underdone but hopefully just needs training and game time.

Can anyone actually tell me what is so good about Nankervis despite his amazing natural ability to have a more recent date of birth?
    -

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I'm sick of Pyke being a liability around the ground. He has absolutely no confidence in general play kicking and often handballs to a bloke under pressure when kicking would be the better option. He has played long enough now to learn how to kick!
    It is clearly part of a game plan, rather than something he elects to do in the heat of the moment out of lack of confidence. He begins looking and someone begins running straight away. Andrew Dunkley was a much worse kick than the Big Canuck but was still pretty good with a 20-25 metre pass. As Pyke's goalkicking accuracy shows,there is no reason why he couldn't do that too. One thing that is clear from Pyke's interviews is that he is very much a professional sportsman who follows his instructions. The handball option is clearly an instruction.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Can anyone actually tell me what is so good about Nankervis despite his amazing natural ability to have a more recent date of birth?
    I thought it was obvious:

1. He is taking marks and kicking goals against third-rate NEAFL backmen
    2. He has never played AFL, so nobody here has ever bagged him, and
    3. He is not Tom Derickx

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast