Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tom Vs Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I thought it was obvious:

1. He is taking marks and kicking goals against third-rate NEAFL backmen
    2. He has never played AFL, so nobody here has ever bagged him, and
    3. He is not Tom Derickx
    Well you burst that balloon, we all thought he wasthe next Polly Farmer.

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Can anyone actually tell me what is so good about Nankervis despite his amazing natural ability to have a more recent date of birth?
    We don't know. We can only hope. The idea is that we'd like to see what he can do at senior level. It's no different that with Zak Jones. He was playing well in the reserves. He came into the seniors and it seems that we found a real winner there.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Well you burst that balloon, we all thought he wasthe next Polly Farmer.
    As long as has not the next Ricky Mott, Paul Chambers or Tom Der... no I'll TD the benefit of a few more games

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    As long as has not the next Ricky Mott, Paul Chambers or Tom Der... no I'll TD the benefit of a few more games
    Derickx runs (awkward) rings around those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Give Mike a couple of weeks to get going and he'll be fine, with Sam to assist. Tom D's been a great back-up , but he's still the back-up....
    Tom D has massively exceeded my expectations of him this season. He has been a genuine contributor to getting our season back on track and whatever success we get this season (hopefully a flag) he will have been a major part of.

HOWEVER, I just do not believe that we can win a flag with Tom D in it but I do believe we can win one with Mike Pyke. That's the key and any decisions should be made with getting Mike through the season and firing on all cylinders in September.

Personally, I'd stick with Tom D for a but longer and give Mike some more match practice but what would I know...

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I thought it was obvious:

1. He is taking marks and kicking goals against third-rate NEAFL backmen
    2. He has never played AFL, so nobody here has ever bagged him, and
    3. He is not Tom Derickx
    Love it! My understanding from those following the ressies closely is that Brian also plays largely as a forward who takes the odd hit out rather than as anything approaching a full time ruckman.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Can anyone actually tell me what is so good about Nankervis despite his amazing natural ability to have a more recent date of birth?
    From watching reserves highlights and reading the reports he seems like much more of a rounded player than Mike or Tom. Definitely a better kick than both of them and seems to take a pretty nice grab. Not sure on his tapwork/running ability yet but no doubt they are developing under the tutelage of the ruck-whisperer and the fitness staff. Also at under 18 level for Tasmania he had the most Supercoach points of any player in division two throughout last-years carnival which suggest that he has the ability to find a bit of the footy around the ground.

NEAFL and Division 2 National Champs may not be of the greatest standard but it is all we have go on until he finally cracks a game in the 1s, I doubt that will be this year barring significant injuries but it seems like he will be a very handy acquisition going into future years, lets just keep our fingers crossed that he has a bit of Tassie mongrel in him as well.

Agree pykes been told something or hes got nothing, different to the man who tried his guts out for everything last year?

Mike is saving it for next week against Mummy! He will want to put his stamp on this game!

Quote Originally Posted by tasmania60 View Post
    Agree pykes been told something or hes got nothing, different to the man who tried his guts out for everything last year?
    Apart from struggling to actually comprehend what you are trying to say, I hardly think Pyke is not 'trying his guts out'.

He has had a more than decent layoff with injury, after what I remember was a reasonably interrupted pre season as well. His class came to the fore in the last quarter, with some telling taps to advantage, something that Derricx can not do at this stage. Nankervis could be a great player for us (So could Sammy Naismith) - both have all the characteristics, but to expect either of them to debut, slot into the top team and potentially be the main ruckman (I strongly doubt we will carry 2 ruckman in the finals), is a huge ask.

It was always the risk of getting Buddy and having to let Mumford go, that we would be found 'short' in the ruck. Give Pyke some time to build his match fitness up before you say 'he's got nothing'. We are talking about a Premiership ruckman here, who was utterly IMMENSE in the 2012 grand final - don't forget just what he did that day before you write him off.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

^ this. Very stiff to not have got the nod in the AA side last year as the second ruck, kicked around 30 goals and took the most contested mark in the league as well as being a very good tap ruckman. Don't write off the big Moose just yet, we need him at his best if we're gonna shake down the thunder in September !

I would like to see Allir have a go in the ruck next year.

He has a great leap, hand balls well, has a good kick and great athleticism.

Seems to be in the Natanui mold.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast