Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddy Contract Extension

Veteran Site Admin
    It's the glamour of the big forward, as much as anything. And of course the size and swagger that generally comes with the big forwards. I remember Swans players relating tales 15 odd years ago of going to visit schools and the kids would look at them and say "Who are you and where is Plugger?" Bazza was the same. The young son of a friend of mine (an occasional attendee at games with me) knew Bazza and no-one else when he was around 3 years old (he's now 10), just from watching bits of games on TV.

"Who are you and where is Plugger?" What a great putdown!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's the glamour of the big forward, as much as anything. And of course the size and swagger that generally comes with the big forwards. I remember Swans players relating tales 15 odd years ago of going to visit schools and the kids would look at them and say "Who are you and where is Plugger?" Bazza was the same. The young son of a friend of mine (an occasional attendee at games with me) knew Bazza and no-one else when he was around 3 years old (he's now 10), just from watching bits of games on TV.
    Shouldn't Warrick Capper be on that glamour big forward list? Gerard Healy once said that in 1986-87 he was the second best known sportsman in Australia behind the Greg Norman.

Warrick was also a rock music star with "I only take what's mine" a huge hit.

nah......Liz is only 38 years of age
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Shouldn't Warrick Capper be on that glamour big forward list? Gerard Healy once said that in 1986-87 he was the second best known sportsman in Australia behind the Greg Norman.

Warrick was also a rock music star with "I only take what's mine" a huge hit.
    Lol - huge hit..... The only charts that song has topped are many 'worst songs of all time' charts.....

But I agree Capper was the first of the glamour forwards for Sydney - top player too and often underrated - apart from his high flying marks and off-field antics, he was a very good all round player and tougher than people often remember too. And that hair....

Small kids 'get' it when it comes to some footy players. they 'got' Plugger and Baz, and Franklin. I think its their smiles. Something quite childlike in them. Maybe that is what they relate to.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Suspended by the MRP
    My little boy was watching the excellent Sunrise program this morning when he runs into the other room yelling "I've seen Franklin, I've seen Franklin". It was during the 7.30am sports report.

What a wonderful return on investment Buddy is.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Lol - huge hit..... The only charts that song has topped are many 'worst songs of all time' charts.....

But I agree Capper was the first of the glamour forwards for Sydney - top player too and often underrated - apart from his high flying marks and off-field antics, he was a very good all round player and tougher than people often remember too. And that hair....
    Don't forget that he also did that other famous task of cutting Edelstens lunch with Leanne. Couldn't have happened to a better bloke. :-)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    Don't forget that he also did that other famous task of cutting Edelstens lunch with Leanne. Couldn't have happened to a better bloke. :-)
    In Warrick's book he described his relationship with Leanne as "purely business, purely professional".

I was waiting outside the gates at the Port game when Buddy walked past. I wouldn't call it arrogance but it was the walk of someone comfortable in his own skin who had that steely determination look. I tweeted at the time that if looks were anything to go by then Buddy would have a blinder.

He certainly has that x-factor.

Although he could have just had gas for all I know.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Lel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    And he wasn't the only one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast