Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Crowd predictions - GWS v Swans

Seems the RWO concensus is that a poor crowd can never be the swans fault. Lets go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    GWS get about 8000 to most games, so rather than have a sook about the crowd, let's find out why more giants fans didn't come, and why more swans fans didn't come.

The weather was a contributing factor. So too the venue, IMHO. In combination, no one other than the latte sippers who live near the SCG was prepared to venture out on that cold and windy night. I suspect the rugby kept a few SCG members away too.

FWIW, GWS will be just fine once They establish a winning side.
    Once again, full of non factual talk, with a splash of inverted snobbery.

The facts were:

It was a cold windy night game, against a team that no one gives a toss about. In a game the Swans were always going to win comfortably. That's why there about 27k there.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I was at the Port game and the Freo game, but I skipped the GWS game and I suspect many other swans supporters were the same. It was too cold, too late for the kids and at the end if school term, everyone was too tired.

I believe the AFL are absolutely in this for the long hall. Maybe they haven't done everything perfectly, but I think they realise that it will be a generation before GWS have a solid fan base. I don't think they're ever going to get 60,000 to their games but they could have a solid core of about 20k.

As Andrew Dunkley(?) once said, Swans crowds used to be so small that when they kicked the ball out of bounds, the players had to get it themselves :-)

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Seems the RWO concensus is that a poor crowd can never be the swans fault. Lets go with that.
    Barry, if your going to postulate that the SCG as a venue causes poor crowds, then surely when the time comes, you will be willing to accept exactly the same reasoning for ANZ.....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Imagine how miserable the crowd would have been if it'd been at Olympic Park! Perhaps 500 more GWS fans and 5000 less Swans fans. I seriously considered not going when my friend decided it was too cold and windy to venture out. I offered her ticket to two others but got no takers (one of those was my wife - she elected for a blanket and a weepy rather than watch the Swans get niggled by the kids.)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567