Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SWANS v giants

I was largely impressed with tonight but I definitely see next week as a banana skin.

No changes as far as I am concerned, they all earned their corn tonight

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I suspect most of those complaining about the skill level were watching the game from their couch at home. There was a strong blustery breeze blowing all match - and it picked up in the final term - making it very hard to judge the flight of the ball in the air, and no doubt affecting decisions about where to kick. It might not have been quite at the level of the Geelong game but I think some have been spoiled a little by that. The first three quarters, at least, represented (to me) a committed performance where they fought well for the ball, ran hard and tackled with purpose. Yes, there were odd spots where they dropped off just a little but it got the job done and did nothing to suggest to me we're doomed to struggle next weekend against West Coast.
    Spot on analysis

I thought Zac Jones has had a fair start to his first two games

only 19 and in his first year with the club

Last night had the fairly traditional stick close to your man type of Swans initiation into Snrs.........only the 13 Disposals and 1 goal but I felt that when they let him play more in the midfield in the last qtr he didnt look tired at all.........he actually still looked sharp.

He isnt quite as quick as I was hoping for a replacement of a Reece Shaw role......... but plenty quick enough for the midfield and to be fair i would suspect the coaching instruction was simply play the easy ball ie move it onto the key senior players asap when handling the footy
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whilst I thought Pyke did well against Mummy, I was surprised to see him listed in our best on the afl site. It almost seemed like at encouragement award- "you could have been dominated, but you almost broke even- good job!"
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

solid effort - 10 in a row remains a fair statement
    "Lance" is not a dirty word

Regular in the Side
    OK ... you can't get the wind and cold vibe from an arm chair ... but ... I'll take our narrow win over Port ... at least we are in the ballpark with the best ... last week was ordinary against an ordinary side ... tonight we played a young side with great potential and beat them easily without IMO playing consistently well ... disposal very ordinary too often ... won't get away with that sort of performance against the big boys. Without those occasional bursts from Buddy it may have been a different story.
    Grundy only had about 2 brain fades and is amazing me this year. Parker got a lot of disposals but seemed to muff quite a few.
    No room for complacency but I sense there is some.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Malceski didn't do his AA chances any harm tonight. It was such a polished defensive performance from a true pro

Grundy gave a few heart in mouth moments with his disposal though
    Agree. He was great last night.

And it wouldn't be a Grundy game with out a few heart attacks.

It was bitter cold at the ground. I didn't think that they were all that bad at all. Only one goal against to half time is very impressive against any opposition. The wind was nasty, and swirling in through the gap at the Members'/Ladies' wing so that up in the O'Reilly it felt like a southerly, even though the flags were showing north westerly. Looked to me like many of the short, stabbing kicks ballooned in the breeze?McGlynn must have missed three by a fingernail?while longer kicks either went too long or fell short, particularly on the members' wing. The final quarter was embarrassing, but the game was well won, and the season is very long. Buddy's burst through the pack was astonishing, as was Cunningham's. Jetta is doing terrific things, and just seems to be enjoying himself a bit more at the moment. GWS seem like a particularly nasty crew of nigglers, with Mummy no exception.

They really do play some niggly football, and its frustrating to watch.

Regular in the Side
    Our kicking is deplorable, even if it is windy, Mal and Heaths kicking was shocking. For someone who can kick the bladder out of the ball Mal tries this Hawk chip too often and as for reg I am not sure what he tries to do. We really need to improve our skills we should have won this game by 100 points.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I'm sorry Ugg but some of Mal's disposal was absolutely disgraceful. He has trwo kick outs that came back immediately because he stuffed up. He also short kicked far too much tonight. I don't see his performance as an A grade one at all. He got lots but baked a lot of it. Reg should hang his head in shame because of some of his disposal. Our back half was pretty ordinary in disposal tonight. If it weren't for the mids I think they might have conceded much more.
    Agree. I thought Mal's disposal the last few weeks has been terrible and I questioned whether there was something wrong with his leg. He has continually missed targets, turned the ball over and just being sloppy. Reg had a shocker and Rampe was not as effective compared to last year. I think it may be time for McVeigh to go down to half back like he did last year as I think our defence is going to struggle with the Weagles talls over in the wild west.

That dork Patton is hopeless. A great kick but that is where it stops. When he tackled Buddy in the last quarter and slammed him into the ground then stood over him and punched him in the back, I thought that was very poor. All the crown near the fence was giving him heaps after that.

i must say after the run of the Tigers midfield hurting us we had to make some changes in the mids.........I did like KJack back in the middle with much more minutes and Pykey minimising Mummys effectiveness

Keiran was in great form in the first half and really helped our centre clearance work - out of the middle we were 15 to 9 !!

Some interesting Stats :

Contested Possession - Swans 155 vs Giants 132

Hit Outs - Swans 26 vs Giants 40

Clearances - Swans 38 vs Giants 34 (Giants were 8 below their average clearances and they beat us by 14 hitouts but obviously to not much advantage given our clearances)

1%s - Swans 53 vs Giants 32

TACKLES - Swans 62 vs Giants 75 ( we were 11 under our average and Giants were 2 above there average - funny enough both teams average the same amount of tackles per game)
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I thought Zac Jones has had a fair start to his first two games

only 19 and in his first year with the club

Last night had the fairly traditional stick close to your man type of Swans initiation into Snrs.........only the 13 Disposals and 1 goal but I felt that when they let him play more in the midfield in the last qtr he didnt look tired at all.........he actually still looked sharp.

He isnt quite as quick as I was hoping for a replacement of a Reece Shaw role......... but plenty quick enough for the midfield and to be fair i would suspect the coaching instruction was simply play the easy ball ie move it onto the key senior players asap when handling the footy
    I thought for a 2nd game, he was fantastic...What he has got that's quick... Is a quick, footy smart, instinctive mind.

He goes about it like he's been out there for years, he's a beauty.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast