Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground Announcer at SCG is a shocker

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Just be thankful you don't have to put up with NRL ground announcers. Ours are brilliant by comparison.

Yes Meg, I arced up over the use Battle of the Bulge or whatever stupid name they call it as well. He only did it once so I assume a direct message was sent to him.
    The Swans don't like the "Battle of the Bridge" term which was invented by Kevin Sheedy. It implies that north of the bridge is GWS territory despite the many years of work the Swans have put in promoting themselves and the game in that region. It was a bit of a dirty trick by Sheed's to plant that seed.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I miss Byron Cooke, he was the best ground announcer I have ever heard at any ground I've been to. He actually sounded like he knew a thing or two about the game and the team.
    I don't live in the Sydney region anymore so I don't listen to Sydney radio, does anyone know what happened to him?
    I'm not sure about radio-wise what he's up to, but I believe he hasn't been based in Sydney for a little while and was commuting from Melbourne for at least last season (possibly longer) to do the gig.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Was absolutely disrespectful when the ground announcer talked about the percentage booster at 3/4 time. Cringeworthy
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    The Swans don't like the "Battle of the Bridge" term which was invented by Kevin Sheedy. It implies that north of the bridge is GWS territory despite the many years of work the Swans have put in promoting themselves and the game in that region. It was a bit of a dirty trick by Sheed's to plant that seed.
    I think Battle of the Bridge is the most ridiculous title for a local Derby. Just call it Derby xx.

Most of the GWS players and the team management have deserted the Greater Western Sydney area to live on other parts of Sydney. Blacktown Council must be really pissed after spending all those millions to build the oval and facilities only to be pushed aside for a move into other parts of Sydney (which is not western Sydney).

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    This was part of a different post that I left on another thread but given the above discussion I thought it might be more appropriate here, interested to see what everyone thinks!

I know a lot of posters on here loath the name 'The Battle of the Bridge' but from a Victorian looking in I don't mind it at all. It's not seen down here as a way to divide the city based on which side of the Harbour Bridge you live on. It's just seen as a landmark that was deemed significant enough to name an all-Sydney game after, with a better ring to it than the Battle of the Opera House. I'm sure over time that it will be seen this way from a NSW based point of view as well! It's no different to calling it the Battle of Sydney i.e whoever wins is the champion of Sydney...not an East vs. West thing.

We shouldn't just call it a derby, that name is rightfully taken. And no matter how much the Swans try and stop it from happening, the media will always refer to this game as The Battle of the Bridge so we might as well embrace it.

Why do ground announcers here all have to be young tenor voices trying to dumb us down while they rev us up. The great American and British ground announcers just quietly do their job with great "announcer" voices. They're an announcer, not a commentator or a cheer squad. Tell me who's on and off, let me know if there are missing kids to look out for, tell us when kick to kick starts, read the stats out.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Why do ground announcers here all have to be young tenor voices trying to dumb us down while they rev us up. The great American and British ground announcers just quietly do their job with great "announcer" voices. They're an announcer, not a commentator or a cheer squad. Tell me who's on and off, let me know if there are missing kids to look out for, tell us when kick to kick starts, read the stats out.
    Are ground announcers allowed to talk during the play?

What about Rodney O who used to do the Sydney Kings games. When we are defending in our half he could lead the crowd in the "Defence, Defence" chant.

Just an idea.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    This was part of a different post that I left on another thread but given the above discussion I thought it might be more appropriate here, interested to see what everyone thinks!

I know a lot of posters on here loath the name 'The Battle of the Bridge' but from a Victorian looking in I don't mind it at all. It's not seen down here as a way to divide the city based on which side of the Harbour Bridge you live on. It's just seen as a landmark that was deemed significant enough to name an all-Sydney game after, with a better ring to it than the Battle of the Opera House. I'm sure over time that it will be seen this way from a NSW based point of view as well! It's no different to calling it the Battle of Sydney i.e whoever wins is the champion of Sydney...not an East vs. West thing.

We shouldn't just call it a derby, that name is rightfully taken. And no matter how much the Swans try and stop it from happening, the media will always refer to this game as The Battle of the Bridge so we might as well embrace it.
    It's not the Harbour Bridge that is referred to (that is the divide between north and south in Sydney). It's the ANZAC Bridge that, according to Sheedy, is the divide between East (Swans) and West (GWS) in Sydney.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post

What about Rodney O who used to do the Sydney Kings games. When we are defending in our half he could lead the crowd in the "Defence, Defence" chant.

Just an idea.
    No, the ground announcers don't talk during the play but they do at the breaks.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

[QUOTE=erica;645815]It's not the Harbour Bridge that is referred to (that is the divide between north and south in Sydney). It's the ANZAC Bridge that, according to Sheedy, is the divide between East (Swans) and West (GWS) in Sydney.

- - - Updated - - -

Gee I bet if you said that people living in Gladsville, Glebe, Balmain etc, they were located in Western Sydney, Sheedy might have a lot of explaining to home owners and real estate agents. It is a ridiculous name that Sheedy dreamt up one night when he was dreaming of his Martians.

Suspended by the MRP
    I lined up at a Bus Stop west of the Anzac Bridge on Saturday night to go to the game and saw a couple of Swans scarfs. I did not see one GWS scarfs and this is supposedly GWS heartland!

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I'm with you Doctor. I want to talk to the supporters around me during the breaks without having to yell, and watch the game without some dill trying to tell me when to barrack.

Was sitting in the Ponsford stand for the Swans v Richmond game and the speakers facing us weren't working, it was blissful....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post

Just an idea.
    Please tell me you're being sarcastic.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast