Thread: GWS

GWS

They are my most hated mob in the game and have started hated them even more knowing they will be a super side when their young blokes develop.

A manufactured football club who will be given anything by the AFL in order for them to succeed. No history, no tradition like our great football club, and a bunch of lippy kids who have alot of arrogance giving it to our players when they've had no success in their careers as of yet.

I understand the AFL is trying to create a rivalry in Sydney and help promote the game. I'm all for that.

Unfortunately we have to put up with this mob given every single concession, handout in order for them to succeed. Our recent success has been built on brilliant drafting/training/development. I can't remember the last time we had two top ten picks in the draft.

I hope alot of their young blokes seek moves home and the continual cycle of their draft picks going around, around, like ring-a-rosy.

Go bloods, we have TRADITION and HISTORY. Stuff that insipid mob from up the road.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I quite like them!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    That post speaks volumes for the rivalry that is already developing nicely. Whilst you don't have to like them, you should like their existence. I get envious every time I watch the Showdown in Adelaide (how good was yeterday's game/atmosphere?!) and the Derby in Perth.

If the 'Battle of the Bridge' can one day resemble anything similar to that it will be something awesome to look forward to twice every season.

It will also definitely be good for football in New South Wales which obviously in turn benefits us.

Just whilst we're on the topic, I know a lot of posters on here loath the name but from a Victorian looking in I don't mind it at all. It's not seen down here as a way to divide the city based on which side of the Harbour Bridge you live on. It's just seen as a landmark that was deemed significant enough to name an all-Sydney game after, with a better ring to it than the Battle of the Opera House. I'm sure over time that it will be seen this way from a NSW based point of view as well! It's no different to calling it the Battle of Sydney i.e whoever wins is the champion of Sydney...not an East vs. West thing.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    That post speaks volumes for the rivalry that is already developing nicely. Whilst you don't have to like them, you should like their existence. I get envious every time I watch the Showdown in Adelaide (how good was yeterday's game/atmosphere?!) and the Derby in Perth.

If the 'Battle of the Bridge' can one day resemble anything similar to that it will be something awesome to look forward to twice every season.

It will also definitely be good for football in New South Wales which obviously in turn benefits us.

Just whilst we're on the topic, I know a lot of posters on here loath the name but from a Victorian looking in I don't mind it at all. It's not seen down here as a way to divide the city based on which side of the Harbour Bridge you live on. It's just seen as a landmark that was deemed significant enough to name an all-Sydney game after, with a better ring to it than the Battle of the Opera House. I'm sure over time that it will be seen this way from a NSW based point of view as well! It's no different to calling it the Battle of Sydney i.e whoever wins is the champion of Sydney...not an East vs. West thing.
    Except that "The Bridge" that Sheedy had in mind when he came up with this notion is not the SHB, but rather the Anzac Bridge, a moderately attractive but somewhat lower profile bridge on the outskirts of the city (ie still relatively central - in no way representing a boundary between the east and the west).

Should be Battle for the Bridge - you win you get your colours on the Harbour Bridge for a week.

None of this location based BS.
    -

Senior Player
    Well they bring three games to Canberra so that's nice.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Should be Battle for the Bridge - you win you get your colours on the Harbour Bridge for a week.

None of this location based BS.
    That's not a bad idea. And should add, on a big flagpole at the Light Horse Interchange (best location I can think of for the Westerners).
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Hate the name ...

Feels like a manufactured rivalry straight from the Giants marketing department. Which is exactly where it came from.

The Giants won't get any respect in this city until they show some respect.

Suspended by the MRP
    The question that needs to be asked is:

"Do we really want the Giants to succeed? I think most posters here would prefer them to cease operating.

It's a great thing that the AFL did not give up on the Swans in the early 90s!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Except that "The Bridge" that Sheedy had in mind when he came up with this notion is not the SHB, but rather the Anzac Bridge, a moderately attractive but somewhat lower profile bridge on the outskirts of the city (ie still relatively central - in no way representing a boundary between the east and the west).
    Yes, Conor's misunderstanding illustrates exactly why 'Battle of the Bridge' is such a stupid title. Mention 'the Bridge' in relation to Sydney and everyone thinks of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Iron Cove Bridge? The Old Meadowbank Railway Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    They are my most hated mob in the game and have started hated them even more knowing they will be a super side when their young blokes develop.

A manufactured football club who will be given anything by the AFL in order for them to succeed. No history, no tradition like our great football club, and a bunch of lippy kids who have alot of arrogance giving it to our players when they've had no success in their careers as of yet.

I understand the AFL is trying to create a rivalry in Sydney and help promote the game. I'm all for that.

Unfortunately we have to put up with this mob given every single concession, handout in order for them to succeed. Our recent success has been built on brilliant drafting/training/development. I can't remember the last time we had two top ten picks in the draft.

I hope alot of their young blokes seek moves home and the continual cycle of their draft picks going around, around, like ring-a-rosy.

Go bloods, we have TRADITION and HISTORY. Stuff that insipid mob from up the road.
    I cannot stand them but I am glad that the Academy system is now in place as a result of them coming in.

And in a pervers kind of way I am looing forward to them being successful as it will get Eddie worked up like nothing we have been able to come close to

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    The question that needs to be asked is:

"Do we really want the Giants to succeed? I think most posters here would prefer them to cease operating.

It's a great thing that the AFL did not give up on the Swans in the early 90s!
    What we want is totally irrelevant. The reality is that GWS are a totally unsustainable business with absolutely pathetic support. I suspect they will be heavily subsidised for the next 20 years and at some stage people will start asking why