Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 16 - West Coast Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post

Disagree. Running with numbers to the contest on a wet track is hard going.

Collingwood probably would have beaten us anyway because they're Collingwood, but the Kangaroos just played better than us in the wet. We were passing to hit up targets, they bombed to the square and crumbed goals.

It's hard going on a wet track for both sides.

You can measure the Swans' workrate and success by contesteds and tackles. If anything the wet would help our game based on defensive pressure, winning contested ball and handball.

v North in Rd 4
    CP: -9
    Tackles: -10

v Freo in Rd 5
    CP: +1
    Tackles: +36

Plus key players didn't play well in first four games. Hannebery average 26 disposals last year; averaged 18 in Rds 1-4. Picked up 29 against Freo.

Buddy has averaged 3-4 goals in the past month. Apart from the Adelaide game, he think he kicked maybe 4 goals in the first month.

Good to see Hewett get some recognition - he has looked a good 'un the few times Ive seen him in Ressies so far
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

You would think the Swans' media folks could find a better photo for the team changes article than one clearly showing Tom Derickx giving away a free kick. Even I think it's a bit over the top. (Or maybe there are too many women in the media department.)

Tom Derickx.jpg

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You would think the Swans' media folks could find a better photo for the team changes article than one clearly showing Tom Derickx giving away a free kick. Even I think it's a bit over the top. (Or maybe there are too many women in the media department.)

Tom Derickx.jpg
    I think they wanted to have both your favourite players included Ludwig!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I think they wanted to have both your favourite players included Ludwig!
    I'm getting such a big following I might have to open a Twitter account.

Veterans List
    Great to see Hewitt get named in the squad. Reading good things about him from the ressie watchers backing up what I saw of him last year in the U18s where he looked a silky mover and clever with ball in hand.

Be great for him to get the trip away with the seniors and do some of that bonding stuff :-)

George is yet another of our burgeoning midfield stocks, we should be set for a decade in the midfield, fingers crossed.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    The only games we've lost this year have been in the wet.

I dont think the wet ball suits our way of moving the ball through congestion and the long kick wet weather style of play is not our forte.
    So,having played many games in the wet, the coach tells/orders you to get your body behind the ball (so the ball doesn't slide past you), no fancy handpasses (too risky) and kick long. Small guys to crumb off the back of the pack coz thats where the ball goes!You CHANGE to suit the conditions.If we play poor in the wet,blame the coaches!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    So,having played many games in the wet, the coach tells/orders you to get your body behind the ball (so the ball doesn't slide past you), no fancy handpasses (too risky) and kick long. Small guys to crumb off the back of the pack coz thats where the ball goes!You CHANGE to suit the conditions.If we play poor in the wet,blame the coaches!
    But what if the coaches tell them that but the players don't respond accordingly. Are the coaches still to blame?

Goes up to 11
    It think we're playing with a lot more confidence and are very much the well-oiled machine at the moment - a bit of rain shouldn't hurt us if it happens....

On the Rookie List
    Indirectly YES they are. If the players don't do what the coach requires then clearly the coach lacks authority and respect. I noticed Mick Malthouse earlier in the year demonstrating wet weather techniques to his players during quarter time break. Then he required them to do them which they started to do. That,s good coaching!

Probably the best piece of coaching malthouse has produced all year

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Indirectly YES they are. If the players don't do what the coach requires then clearly the coach lacks authority and respect. I noticed Mick Malthouse earlier in the year demonstrating wet weather techniques to his players during quarter time break. Then he required them to do them which they started to do. That,s good coaching!
    What about, like, training in the rain and learning to do it then???

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast