Thread: The Bedford Legend

The Bedford Legend

Apart from recounting Peter Bedford's brilliant career, it's a great tale of a totally different era.

Port [Melbourne] powerbrokers Norm Goss Senior and Jack ?Darky?? McFarlane, who was related to Bedford through marriage, ?would come down every night to where I was living in Garden City and ask ?why would you want to go to that rotten mongrel mob? They?re no good. I was given the rounds of the kitchen about what I was doing.??

No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Great story. He could play a bit that boy!

Great article. Peter a really nice guy. He goes to all of he blood brother get togethers in Melbourne and is still heavily involved in the local junior footy clubs.

Great story and yes he could really play the game. Not bad for someone who's first love was cricket. Would have played for Australia if he didn't cross to South from Port.

Senior Player
    He was the most brilliantly balanced player in that era. Great kick too - quick and pretty tough when it counted. The first player I remember thinking he was a champ. Note: only saw The Chimp once.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    Great article. Peter a really nice guy. He goes to all of he blood brother get togethers in Melbourne and is still heavily involved in the local junior footy clubs.
    Not a "great article" but a well written puff piece. Like so many other blood brothers he ended up at Carlton. A "great article" would have addressed that issue.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Warming the Bench
    Two of my all time favorite players Peter Bedford and Max Papley, if Papley had played enough games to qualify for our team of the century he would have been one of the first picked. Peter Bedford still the best gully fieldsman I have seen play cricket.