Thread: Plugger

Plugger

Nice piece of plugger-worship here from the Guardian

including this:
    Plugger landed one of his most amusing blows when he infamously speared a pair of crutches at Eddie McGuire outside the Mercy hospital in 1988 (1:50 below), where he was receiving treatment for a broken ankle. ?I did my cruet,? Lockett later explained with typical understatement.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Who's the Swans player (the one with the ears) with Kickett and Plugger? The photage of him "caven in" Peter Cavens face brought back bad memories.

Fantastic memories for a fantastic player. I was fortunate to see Plugger play most of his games for the Swans and was there to see him kick that great point in 1996 and also to see him break the goal kicking record.

One day I went to the Swans offices to chase something up and Plugger walked past me. He was a genuine mountain of a man and standing next to him was awe inspiring.

I will always wonder what happened in those first few games when he came back from retirement and Rocket Ede was the coach. He got himself into peak fitness and looked to be in great shape only to retire part way through the season,

Overall a great player, a great goal kicking record and a great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    Who's the Swans player (the one with the ears) with Kickett and Plugger? The photage of him "caven in" Peter Cavens face brought back bad memories.
    Gavin Rose.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

He played until he was 36. So if you find a 27yo gun athletic forward you could probably give him... err, let me do the maths... a nine-year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    He played until he was 36. So if you find a 27yo gun athletic forward you could probably give him... err, let me do the maths... a nine-year contract.
    Exactly - and that's why all those 10 year olds running around at Auskick and the Ned Kelly cup must be thinking "if I have a good game today, I'm a chance to play with Buddy in the last year of his current contract".
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Wasn't it until he was 34? His year off and return for that terrible year didn't really count.

Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    Wasn't it until he was 34? His year off and return for that terrible year didn't really count.
    Didn't really count ?
    He broke the AFL goal-kicking record 3 times in 2002.