Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Match Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by joemoore12 View Post
    Ha! I wasn't aware of Chauncy Gardiner, Ernie, but just googled him. I'll have to check out the movie.
    It's a fabulous movie Joe, you'll get a kick out of the similarities of Chance's(Peter Sellars) dialogue , and your review.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Hi Joe.

After all the crap going on with Eddie FIGJAM, I have just gone back and re read your game reviews. They are all fantastic mate.

Have you just started this year or do you have coverage of previous years. The 2012 GF would be a great one to read.

Once again well done and thank you.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    Hi Joe.

After all the crap going on with Eddie FIGJAM, I have just gone back and re read your game reviews. They are all fantastic mate.

Have you just started this year or do you have coverage of previous years. The 2012 GF would be a great one to read.

Once again well done and thank you.
    Thanks very much, Swanny. I have only started writing this season, but I would certainly enjoy writing a retrospective match report for that wonderful day! I was lucky enough to be at the match, and writing about it would just be a great excuse to watch the DVD again!

I will try and post it at some stage next week, as I think this one deserves a little extra time put into it? Cheers.

Warming the Bench
    AFL Round 18 - Hawthorn v Sydney: The Faceless Man Returns

When passengers boarded Virgin Australia Flight VA858 in Sydney last Friday afternoon. There was shock. There was horror. There was inconceivable confusion. There was a faceless man on board. 'Where is his face?' asked one bamboozled guest. 'He looks astonishingly boring' said another. 'No face, no hope' claimed a repulsed flight attendant. The Faceless Man is returning to a land where he once ruled with all the might of Julius Ceasar in Roman times. The snide remarks and puzzled sideways glances are just a prelude to the torrent of abuse that the Faceless Man will encounter upon his return. Will he prove triumphant? Will he miraculously return to those face wearing days that he once enjoyed? Only time will tell.

Tonight, the Bloods face off with the Mayblooms in what many are predicting to be a Grand Final prelude. I hope they're right. The Enemy this evening are a powerful club. They are a club that I respect. They are also a club with which I can sympathise. As an eight-year old boy, I played for the Umina Soccer Club. Like all players and supporters of The Enemy, I was forced to wear a brown and gold outfit to every match. I also suspect that my coach's sporting philosophies would bare a striking resemblance to those of one Mr. Clarkson. If naming an Under 8's soccer team 'The Socceroos' was not austere enough, surprise visits on a Sunday afternoon from said coach and his spoiled-brat son for an impromptu, gruelling fitness session that a seasoned triathlete would struggle to endure, was just taking the piss?surely. Clarko strikes me as the type of bloke who was cut from the same cloth.

Now, before a big match, I find a need to relax and gather my wits. Today, I choose to listen to some music and I have recently discovered a genre that was once foreign to my 'punk-rock adoring' ears. It is far too avant-garde for me to explain, so I will borrow some words about my new favourite musician, Olafur Arnalds. He is a 'multi-instrumentalist and producer' from Mosfellsb?r, Iceland who 'mixes strings and piano with loops and edgy beats crossing-over from ambient/electronic to pop'. Interestingly, Olafur started out as a drummer for a hardcore metal band named 'Fighting @@@@'. Like me, I guess his musical tastes changed as well. Once the 'Incredible Icelandic Instrumentalist' has calmed my nerves, I am ready for battle.

Clashes between these two footballing powerhouses have been nothing short of epic in recent times. The stands of the 'G are filled with over 72,000 punters who must agree. This is 1st vs 3rd, and I am up for this, the boys look up for this, and so is my Hawks-mad mate, Halesy who sends me his best wishes via text message. The Enemy burst out of the blocks with a goal to their 200-gamer and all of a sudden?.the face of the Faceless Man magically reappears! Every man on the opposition instantly recognise their ex-Buddy and rush to exchange pleasantries. Game on. This is a tough, exhilarating opening and the Swannies look to be struggling to keep up. Wayward kicking for goal keeps us within reach as the Faceless Man and Tippo in his return match, bag majors. The old firm of Lewis, Mitchell and Hodge dominate the centre from the outset, and The Enemy take a narrow lead into the first huddle.

The second term begins and this encounter already has all the features of a belter! The pressure around the ball is immense with players from both sides having time and space savagely cut to an absolute minimum. Breust goals and I'm not quite sure if the Brown & Gold faithful have taking their booing obsession to a new level? I soon realise it is the Broooost chant, but my puzzlement remains. They are booing the Australian of the Year after all... The atmosphere is electric and everybody in the immense stadium is glued to the action. The artist formerly known as 'The Faceless Man' sanps for his second and there is a slight shift in momentum. McGlynn and Tippo extend the Swannies lead out to a couple of goals and then Lewis lets rip with a torp that even Blighty would admire. Puopolo chases it, breaks the tackle of Laidler and goals on the counter attack. Half time follows, and this is a cracker of a footy match.

The Great Goodesy begins the third with a bang and the Bloods are quickly out to a twenty-three point lead. Just as quickly, this lead disappears as The Enemy find plenty of the footy and do plenty of damage with it! For a fifteen minute period, the Swans' forward pressure is about as effective as Tony Abbott's foreign policy and The Enemy open up a nine-point lead at the final break. Big Roughie is causing some damage, and the rangy Isaac Smith likewise. The intensity and pressure lifts again in the final stanza as two giants of the modern game are locked into fierce battle. The Enemy are a tough side to crack. Joey, Benny and Macca try their best to orchestrate the fightback, but their experienced men take control of the important moments and they prevail by ten points. WOW. Another epic battle. A deserved victory to The Enemy, and I certainly feel as though we will meet again on an even bigger stage.

For me, time to return to my Icelandic fantasy land and contemplate the bigger issues in life, such as the plight of faceless men the world over and reasons why anybody would name their band 'Fighting @@@@'.

Hawthorn 15.14 (104)

Sydney 13.16 (94)

Best:

Hawthorn: Lewis, Smith, Roughead, Mitchell, Hodge, Birchall

Sydney: McGlynn, Bird, Rampe, The Faceless Man, Goodes, Jetta

Goals:

Hawthorn: Roughead 4, Breust 3, Smith 3, Puopolo 2, Gunston, Burgoyne, Hodge

Sydney: Goodes 4, The Faceless Man 3, McGlynn 3, Tippett 2, Kennedy

Crowd:

72, 760

Umpires:

Donlon, Pannell, Nicholls

Votes:

3 - Jordan Lewis (Hawthorn)

2 - Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)

1 - Ben McGlynn (Sydney)

Opti-pessi-misti
    I enjoyed reading your report Joe - excellent. Ever tried preparing for a game with a bit of Mozart or Dvorak?

Warming the Bench
    Thanks Rojo. No I haven't mate, this type of music is a new frontier for me, but I'll give it a go! I actually edited the report a little before I published it on the Footy Almanac website. I'll post the other version below. I'd eb interested to hear if anybody prefers one to the other. Sorry if I'm clogging up the forum a bit, just really keen for some feedback to continue developing my writing. Loving writing about the mighty Swannies!

- - - Updated - - -

AFL Round 18 ? Hawthorn v Sydney: Solace in Icelandic Ambience

Tonight, the Bloods face off with the Mayblooms in what many are predicting to be a Grand Final prelude. I hope they?re right. The Enemy this evening are a powerful club. They are a club that I respect. They are also a club with which I can sympathise. As an eight-year old boy, I played for the Umina Soccer Club. Like all players and supporters of The Enemy, I was forced to wear a brown and gold outfit to every match. I also suspect that my coach?s sporting philosophies would bare a striking resemblance to those of one Mr. Clarkson. If nick-naming an Under 8?s soccer team ?The Socceroos? was not austere enough, surprise visits on a Sunday afternoon from said coach and his spoiled-brat son for an impromptu, gruelling fitness session that a seasoned triathlete would struggle to endure, was just taking the piss?surely. Clarko strikes me as the type of bloke who was cut from the same cloth.

Now, before a big match, I find a need to relax and gather my wits. Today, I choose to listen to some music and I have recently discovered a genre that was once foreign to my ?punk-rock adoring? ears. It is far too avant-garde for me to explain, so I will borrow some words about my new favourite musician, Olafur Arnalds. He is a ?multi-instrumentalist and producer? from Mosfellsb?r, Iceland who ?mixes strings and piano with loops and edgy beats crossing-over from ambient/electronic to pop?. Interestingly, Olafur started out as a drummer for a hardcore metal band named ?Fighting @@@@?. Like me, I guess his musical tastes changed as well. Once the ?Incredible Icelandic Instrumentalist? has calmed my nerves, I am ready for battle.

Clashes between these two footballing powerhouses have been nothing short of epic in recent times. The stands of the ?G are filled with over 72,000 punters who must agree. This is 1st vs 3rd, and I am up for this, the boys look up for this, and so is my Hawks-mad mate, Halesy who sends me his best wishes via text message. The Enemy burst out of the blocks with a goal to their 200-gamer and all of a sudden?.the face of the ?Faceless Man? magically reappears! Every man on the opposition instantly recognise their ex-Buddy and rush to exchange pleasantries. Game on. This is a tough, exhilarating opening and the Swannies look to be struggling to keep up. Wayward kicking for goal keeps us within reach as the Faceless Man and Tippo in his return match, bag majors. The old firm of Lewis, Mitchell and Hodge dominate the centre from the outset, and The Enemy take a narrow lead into the first huddle.

The second term begins and this encounter already has all the features of a belter! The pressure around the ball is immense with players from both sides having time and space savagely cut to an absolute minimum. Breust goals and I?m not quite sure if the Brown & Gold faithful have taken to debasing their own and thus elevating their booing obsession to a new level? I soon realise it is the Broooost chant, but my puzzlement remains as for no particular reason, they are booing our Australian of the Year? Withstanding all of that, the atmosphere is electric and everybody in the immense stadium is glued to the action. The artist formerly known as ?The Faceless Man? snaps for his second and there is a slight shift in momentum. McGlynn and Tippo extend the Swannies lead out to a couple of goals and then Lewis lets rip with a torp that even Blighty would be proud of. Puopolo chases it, breaks the tackle of Laidler and goals on the counter attack. Half time follows, and this is a one hell of a cracking footy match.

The Great Goodesy begins the third with a bang and the Bloods are quickly out to a twenty-three point lead. Just as quickly, this lead disappears as The Enemy find plenty of the footy and do plenty of damage with it! For a fifteen minute period, the Swans? forward pressure is about as effective as Tony Abbott?s foreign policy and The Enemy open up a nine-point lead at the final break. Big Roughie is causing some damage, and the rangy Isaac Smith likewise. The intensity and pressure lifts again in the final stanza as two giants of the modern game are locked into fierce battle. The Enemy are a tough side to crack. Joey, Benny and Macca try their best to orchestrate the fightback, but their experienced men take control of the important moments and they prevail by ten points. WOW. Another epic battle. A deserved victory to The Enemy, and I certainly feel as though we will meet again on an even bigger stage.

For me, it?s time to return to my Icelandic fantasy land and to contemplate the bigger issues in life, such as the state of Dan Hannebery?s ankle and reasons why anybody would want to name their band ?Fighting @@@@?.

Hawthorn 15.14 (104)

Sydney 13.16 (94)

Best:

Hawthorn: Lewis, Smith, Roughead, Mitchell, Hodge, Birchall

Sydney: McGlynn, Bird, Rampe, The Faceless Man, Goodes, Jetta

Goals:

Hawthorn: Roughead 4, Breust 3, Smith 3, Puopolo 2, Gunston, Burgoyne, Hodge

Sydney: Goodes 4, The Faceless Man 3, McGlynn 3, Tippett 2, Kennedy

Crowd:

72, 760

Umpires:

Donlon, Pannell, Nicholls

Malarkey Medal Votes:

3 ? Jordan Lewis (Hawthorn)

2 ? Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)

1 ? Ben McGlynn (Sydney)

Warming the Bench
    AFL Round 19 - Sydney v Essendon: Mid Winter Meandering

I am a simple man who enjoys simple pleasures. When the humdrum of a gloomy winter routine becomes a little mundane, it's time for a break. This year, my wife and I have opted for a trip from a chilly Hobart to the snow-laden, glacial wintry wonderland of Cradle Mountain. As per any dinky-di road trip, the supplies are plentiful, the stops are planned and the tunes are blissful. Life is all about the simple things and when your day includes visiting a proper country bakery and a cellar door wine tasting, you get a chance to fully appreciate this. The purchase of a pie and some Pinot is my idea of perfection. Arriving at our Cradle Mountain Cabin, we are met with a scene to make the soul swoon. A sea of pristine powdery snow, pure white as far as the eye can see. A snowball stoush ensues and Claude the Snowman is created. The traditional use of a carrot for his nose invites a posse of potoroos to the scene and they swiftly attack, removing Claude's tasty schnoz with all the stealth of a leopard. Staying in, a mid winter menu of salami, cheese, olives and sourdough awaits. As does a Friday Night blockbuster from the spectacular home of the Swannies, the SCG.

I tune in to discover that the Big Bud is a no-show. Bad news. The good news is that we get a look at our fourth debutant for the year, Tim Membrey, a young kid who many at the club have big wraps on. The SCG looks as frosty as this magical part of Tassie, with a flukey breeze set to play havoc. Welcome back to Shawry, a stalwart in the purest sense. The Enemy will provide stiff opposition this evening, having been in good form in recent weeks. The much anticipated sell-out crowd has not eventuated, but a large gathering of the faithful in Sin City will again have the power brokers smiling. The action begins and the home team look sharp from the outset. Macca storms on to a slick Jetta handball, slices through the defence and speeds one through the middle to open the scoring. Soon after, Gary Rohan, very much a crowd favourite, intercepts, plays on and nails through a long bomb. Great start. When the Vancouver Volcano marks and goals from the square, the Bloods are out to a strong early lead. Young Membrey is impressive and looks a player. Joey threads one from the boundary, Reidy converts after a trade mark grab right on the siren, and we take a 26-point lead into the first break.

The second term is trench warfare. Parker, Kennedy and McGlynn are battling with Heppell, Hocking and Chapman in the clinches and the pressure is immense. Myers fires a bullet from his left boot for The Enemy's second within thirty seconds. The versatility of the modern day footballer is on full display as Rohan appears comfortable down back, Jets is stepping and gliding through packs around the footy and Reidy is bobbing up all over the ground. All different roles that we are used to seeing them play. The Enemy have sured up defensively, but when Goodesy marks, then strolls around Hurley on the mark to goal from point blank range, The Swannies are out to a 28-point lead. That margin remains at the main break and the newly acquired bottle of 2013 Josef Chromy Pinot Noir is providing the perfect accompaniment to a fine Bloods display.

Dane Rampe continues to improve and twice in two minutes he has 37,000 Sydneysiders screaming in unison...Baaaaaalllllll! His intensity fails to influence his teammates' defensive efforts however, and three quick goals to Ryder, Howlett and Carlisle bring The Enemy back to within ten points. All of a sudden, the ground seems to have all the space of an air field and the Swans look vulnerable for the first time tonight. Teddy and Reg (great name for a cartoon) regain the ascendancy for their side and when Tippo boots his second, he provides the much needed steadier. Benny McGlynn is again at his combative best, gathering and snapping from the most acute of angles to send the locals into rapturous joy. The three-quarter time siren sees the Swans take a 20-point lead into the last. The final stanza sees The enemy push for an unlikely victory with an early goal to Heppell, but then the Swans control the tempo with some possession footy that may not be aesthetically pleasing, but pleasing to their supporters nonetheless as they ensure four points are banked from a tricky encounter. Goodesy seals the victory with five minutes to go, then McGlynn deservedly snaps his second to extend the margin. Michael Hurley, clearly The Enemy's best player tonight, gets an equally deserved goal, however the Bloods prevail by 22 points.

The Sydney Swans play their footy with a particular focus on doing the little things right. The Moores take a similar approach to our mid winter getaways. The setting, the company and all of life's little pleasures combine to make a seemingly brief break, an invaluably refreshing snippet of calmness and quietude. An absolutely essential ingredient to overcoming those decidedly disheartening mid winter blues.

Sydney 11.13 (79)

Essesndon 8.9 (57)

Best:

Sydney: Parker, McGynn, Kennedy, Pyke, Goodes, Rohan, McVeigh, Grundy

Essendon: Hurley, Heppell, Ryder, Stanton, Z. Merrett, Zaharakis

Goals:

Sydney: Tippett 2, Goodes 2, McGlynn 2, McVeigh, Kennedy, Reid, Rohan, Pyke

Essendon: Ryder 2, Myers, Ambrose, Howlett, Carlisle, Hurley, Heppell

Crowd:

36, 804 at SCG

Umpires:

Chamberlain, Findlay, Pannell

Votes:

3 - Luke Parker (Sydney)

2 - Ben McGlynn (Sydney)

1 - Josh Kennedy (Sydney)

Beautiful, Joe. I actually felt I was on Cradle Mountain knocking back your pinot noir.

Warming the Bench
    Thanks ShockOfHair, I'm glad you could picture the scene. Beautiful part of the world!

Forget the football. I want the background!

Warming the Bench
    AFL Round 21 ? Sydney v St Kilda: Half Time Hero

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

This rings true for Swans supporters these days. We truly are a fortunate bunch. The winds of change have swept through the Sydney Swans like never before, yet we still get to cheer more often than jeer. A generation of Bloods heroes are slowly, but surely, moving on to the next chapter of their lives. Chapters that don?t necessarily involve us, the supporters. The game has changed. The game has changed over the past decade like you wouldn?t believe. The 2005 Bloods were referred to as ?Ford Cortinas?. The dour, tough and uncompromising style of the Sydney Swans would become famous. The majority of the side were workman-like and honest. Nothing flashy. Nothing that any other team would aspire to be. It is for this very reason that members of that beloved side will always remain close to Swans supporters? hearts. Against the odds, backs to the wall?.all that stuff. Times have changed, the Swans have changed, and players have moved on, but that doesn?t make it any easier when one of the ?05 Bloods bids farewell.

For me, today?s main event will arrive during the half-time interval. In what is no reflection at all on our current day Bloods, and their opposition today, the match is not what I?m most looking forward to. A true gentleman and a scholar, Lewis Roberts-Thomson will today bid adiue to the Sydney Cricket Ground and the Swans faithful. Every fan has their favourite players. Some to whom connections can be easily drawn, some because of their magical talents, and some because of their obvious love of their club. The man that my family, my mates and I have always affectionately labelled ?Two Dads? is a favourite of many a Bloods supporter. For varying reasons, the big blonde number thirty has always struck a chord with us. ?Cult status? is an honour not bestowed upon many. Today at around 3pm, the true Swans cult hero gets a chance to walk the hallowed turf for one last time as a Sydney Swan. The fans get a chance to share their gratitude in celebrating the fine career of a most loveable warrior.

The Enemy arrive in old Sydney town having endured a bloody tough season. They are a team well and truly in the midst of a ?transition period?. Their elder champions are few these days, and a new breed is emerging. These are two teams at opposite ends of the current footy spectrum. Despite the predicted doom and gloom, the match begins in fine conditions. The ever-admirable Riewoldt fires The Enemy out of the blocks and the first goal belongs to them. This seems to spark the home team into action, however, and through the 200-gamer, Buddy, an equaliser is not far away. From that moment, the first quarter becomes a precession. The Swans are looking slick as their running game clicks into gear. An obvious focus on speed has enabled this team to attack with an edge that not many possess. Jetta, Cunningham, Rohan and Jack steam through the centre of the SCG to conjure goal-scoring chances for the forward line. We?re six goals up at the first break and this is looking ominous.

The second term begins and it is clear that The Enemy have found some resolve. A two-goal-to-one quarter extends the lead marginally. The major concern being the apparent hammy that Joey has pinged. Please no, not J .Kennedy. With an element of worry surrounding our very own Brownlow favourite, a sentimental SCG prepares for the appearance of the man, who all have come to applaud. Our man, ?Two Dads?. I will never forget the skinny kid on debut, going for a gallop down the members side wing, scrubbing a worm-burner along the turf with his first kick in league footy. I instantly liked this kid. Over the ensuing years, through fabulous finals feats, he would be known to adoring fans as ?Mr. September?. On that glorious September day in 2005, LRT could easily have walked away from the ?G with a Norm Smith Medal to go with his cherished premiership medallion. On an equally glorious day in 2012, a fearless and combative Lewis Roberts-Thomson, led the way as the Bloods claimed another flag. As memorable as these performances were it was, in fact, the little things that captivated. Perennially underrated by the football public, his teammates? love for their uncomplicated, reliable friend was obvious. So was the crowd?s indisputable love for a man who continually gave his all for the Red and the White. As the great man walked his final lap, memories of a true legend came flooding back. Times have changed at the SCG, but we still bloody love you, ?Two Dads?. Always will.

The match resumes and Buddy is enjoying his 200th footy match. The winds of change have brought with them an absolute superstar that we are so very lucky to have on our team. I am sure I am not the only one who still has to pinch myself when I see him lighting up the SCG?.for us! The Enemy are not blessed with a tall defence and the Swans dominate up forward, thanks to a superb effort through the midfield from McVeigh, Jack, Parker, Hannebery and Lloyd. Buddy finishes the term with eight on the board and Tippo is starting to chime in with a few of his own. The final stanza is more of the same. As a collective, we have farewelled a club champion. Equally, through today?s performance, we have welcomed the next generation. Gary Rohan has found his place. He is the unbackable favourite to take the now vacant mantle as our ?Cult Hero?. With performances like this, he may already be there. Lloyd, Biggs, Cunningham and Towers provide a glimpse of what is to come. We truly are a fortunate bunch.

As Buddy falls just short of the magical ten-goal mark, a feat not achieved at the Swans since the great Plugger, the siren sounds and we are victors to the tune of seventy-one points. The obligatory footage of the team belting out my favourite tune, brings with it a most pleasant surprise. Arm in arm, today?s Bloods are joined by yesterday?s hero. Cheer, cheer one last time, Lewis Roberts-Thomson.

Sydney 19.13 (127)

St Kilda 8.8 (56)

Best:

Sydney: Franklin, Parker, Jack, McVeigh, Rohan, Lloyd, Richards, Biggs

St Kilda: Riewoldt, Steven, Ray, Armitage, Schneider

Goals:

Sydney: Franklin 9, Tippett 3, Cunningham, Malceski, Lloyd, Jetta, McVeigh, Towers, Parker

St Kilda: Riewoldt 3, Stanley 2, Gwilt, Armitage, Steven

Umpires:

Farmer, Burgess, Bannister

Crowd:

31, 361 at SCG

Votes:

3 - Buddy

2 - Parker

1 - McVeigh

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Nice work Joe.
    It is weird that in your circle he was always "Two Dads", a term never used in the group of Swans fans I converse with.
    For us it was always LRT, the Hyphen or the Soft Haired Viking . I am not sure of the origin of that last one.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast