Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Midfield crystal ball 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Midfield crystal ball 2018

I was watching the NSW/ACT Rams win yesterday over QLD and it got me thinking that I can actually see some real talent coming through especially into the midfield.

It's fair to say that Kinnear has a brilliant transition plan for the midfield over the next 5 years when the likes of McVeigh & Jack are gone and JPK is in his twilight. I've left Hanners out (as an example) as there will always be some collateral damage and he will be eligible for free agency so it would be a tough assignment to keep him considering his is an Xav boy and the offers will be coming in droves. It's important that we can match it with the likes of GC, Bulldogs & GWS mids who will all be superstars by this time as they have the majority of all the quality in the recent drafts through the middle.

Luke PARKER (c)
    Tom MITCHELL
    Jake LLOYD
    Gary Rohan
    Isaac HEENEY
    Brandon JACK
    Zak JONES
    Callum MILLS
    Harry CUNNINGHAM
    Lewis JETTA

Another midfield that bats fairly deep. 6 of these kids will have been 1st round draft picks. In addition, recruiters could now also argue that Parker should have gone in the 1st round. Fairly exciting if you ask me!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Derryn23 View Post
    I was watching the NSW/ACT Rams win yesterday over QLD and it got me thinking that I can actually see some real talent coming through especially into the midfield.

It's fair to say that Kinnear has a brilliant transition plan for the midfield over the next 5 years when the likes of McVeigh & Jack are gone and JPK is in his twilight. I've left Hanners out (as an example) as there will always be some collateral damage and he will be eligible for free agency so it would be a tough assignment to keep him considering his is an Xav boy and the offers will be coming in droves. It's important that we can match it with the likes of GC, Bulldogs & GWS mids who will all be superstars by this time as they have the majority of all the quality in the recent drafts through the middle.

Luke PARKER (c)
    Tom MITCHELL
    Jake LLOYD
    Gary Rohan
    Isaac HEENEY
    Brandon JACK
    Zak JONES
    Callum MILLS
    Harry CUNNINGHAM
    Lewis JETTA

Another midfield that bats fairly deep. 6 of these kids will have been 1st round draft picks. In addition, recruiters could now also argue that Parker should have gone in the 1st round. Fairly exciting if you ask me!
    Like the thinking. I think K.Jack and Kennedy will still be around as they would only be 30 or 31. They would be spending more time up forward like Goodes now and Jude Bolton before him. I think Craig Bird will still be on the list and fighting for his career like ROK is now. I think a successful club, a lifelong friendship with Buddy and a life in Bondi would convince Hanners to reject Free Agency and stay.

I saw a poster mention earlier that Jetta may want to return to WA and I think that's probably a fair assumption. Either at the end of this season or the next West Coast or Fremantle will hand over their first round pick for him.

I think Mitchell will want to leave at the end of this year to get more opportunities. This will net us a late first round pick (Ludwig thinks we could get top 10).

This could leave us with a bumper trade period this year, where we get Heeney, Davis and potentially another two first rounders.

People rate George Hewitt as a good prospect and Daniel Robinson I think has a role to play.

People also mention that young Dunkley is a good midfield prospect under the father/son.

Let's not forget the riches that the Academy can throw up after Mills. I think the NSW and Queensland academy's will produce the best AFL players in the future because they get hard, brave, fearless, athletic kids who have played League and Union and have enough time to teach them blue chip AFL skills. Nursery's in Victoria, SA and WA have skillfull kids but they may not be as hard as ex Leugue and Union players. I think Eddie knows this about the Northern Academy's and he is scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Like the thinking. I think K.Jack and Kennedy will still be around as they would only be 30 or 31. They would be spending more time up forward like Goodes now and Jude Bolton before him. I think Craig Bird will still be on the list and fighting for his career like ROK is now. I think a successful club, a lifelong friendship with Buddy and a life in Bondi would convince Hanners to reject Free Agency and stay.

I saw a poster mention earlier that Jetta may want to return to WA and I think that's probably a fair assumption. Either at the end of this season or the next West Coast or Fremantle will hand over their first round pick for him.

I think Mitchell will want to leave at the end of this year to get more opportunities. This will net us a late first round pick (Ludwig thinks we could get top 10).

This could leave us with a bumper trade period this year, where we get Heeney, Davis and potentially another two first rounders.

People rate George Hewitt as a good prospect and Daniel Robinson I think has a role to play.

People also mention that young Dunkley is a good midfield prospect under the father/son.

Let's not forget the riches that the Academy can throw up after Mills. I think the NSW and Queensland academy's will produce the best AFL players in the future because they get hard, brave, fearless, athletic kids who have played League and Union and have enough time to teach them blue chip AFL skills. Nursery's in Victoria, SA and WA have skillfull kids but they may not be as hard as ex Leugue and Union players. I think Eddie knows this about the Northern Academy's and he is scared.
    Matt, where is this talk of Mitchell departing coming from? I've only heard it from you. The main reason he hasn't been getting a game is because he's been injured. From memory he was only dropped once due to poor form.

Kennedy will definetly move into a CHF role in the twilight of his career with his strength and leading ability and marking overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Kennedy will definetly move into a CHF role in the twilight of his career with his strength and leading ability and marking overhead.
    He'd be a little similar to Goodesy when he played there. What would we do with Franklin?

I just posted this comment on another thread which is pertinent to this thread;
    I wouldn't have an issue loosing a fringe midfielder like him if we can get reasonable compensation. Players such as Hannaberry, Mitchell, Cunningham, Lloyd, Jones, Perris, Heeney, Mills, etc (nice midfield isn't it) are always going to be in front of them for the next decade. Hewitt is looking promising too. There just isn't the room for all these mids. If we can trade some of the mids on the outer cusp of selection and be compensated for it we should. And please, any talk of trading Mitchell should stop. He's the son of a former Swans champion and is going to be a champion himself one day. You can't go trading f/s's to other clubs.

Oops, I forgot Dunkley if we can get him too.
    Last edited by Melb Blood Bro; 3rd July 2014 at 12:32 PM.

Agree should be building dynasty's for the future if Mitchell goes doesn't look good for future

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    Matt, where is this talk of Mitchell departing coming from? I've only heard it from you. The main reason he hasn't been getting a game is because he's been injured. From memory he was only dropped once due to poor form.
    All this talk of Mitchell being traded, and being said with such certainty by this particular poster, is becoming quite a yawn really......

Yeah it's time to shut up about it I reckon.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    dead-horse11.jpgAll this talk about Mitchell.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I've been trying to think of a good caption for this:

1. Matt80 meets our Coach.
    2. Tom Mitchell meets Matt80.
    3. Tom Derickx meets Ludwig.
    4. Anyone from RWO meets Eddie McGuire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I've been trying to think of a good caption for this:

1. Matt80 meets our Coach.
    2. Tom Mitchell meets Matt80.
    3. Tom Derickx meets Ludwig.