Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Round 14: Ainslie Tricolours v Sydney Swans Reserves

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's also unusual (though not unwelcome) to see the number one ruckman rack up 9 tackles.
    I noticed the 9 tackles from Naismith as well. That will impress Longmire. If he was not a rookie is he close to a senior debut?

Hard to believe the game was so close given those possession numbers.

Paddy Mitchell is very consistent. Horse likes that. I think he gets 5 disposals every game.

LRT is really pushing for selection. After the Port Adelaide game I think they might give him early retirement and open a spot on the senior list for Biggs to play the last 3 games of the regular season.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Judging by his scoring worm looks like LRT went off at quarter time or thereabouts

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Hard to believe the game was so close given those possession numbers.

Paddy Mitchell is very consistent. Horse likes that. I think he gets 5 disposals every game.

LRT is really pushing for selection. After the Port Adelaide game I think they might give him early retirement and open a spot on the senior list for Biggs to play the last 3 games of the regular season.
    You can't replace a retired player with a rookie unless they are genuinely injured and unable to play at any level. The Saints tried to do this several years back with someone - Justin Peckett maybe? - and the AFLPA went up in arms about players being pushed into early retirement against their wishes so that a rookie listed player could be promoted. The AFL then tightened the rules to make it clear this isn't allowed.

Remember when Fosdike retired at the start of a season (2009?) and then Kennelly walked out shortly afterwards for his Irish sabbatical? We weren't permitted to promote a rookie to cover the loss of either, even though Fosdike retired due to injury. I believe it was more of a case of him not feeling he could keep playing at AFL level, rather than not able to play at any level at that point in time.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    You can't replace a retired player with a rookie unless they are genuinely injured and unable to play at any level. The Saints tried to do this several years back with someone - Justin Peckett maybe? - and the AFLPA went up in arms about players being pushed into early retirement against their wishes so that a rookie listed player could be promoted. The AFL then tightened the rules to make it clear this isn't allowed.

Remember when Fosdike retired at the start of a season (2009?) and then Kennelly walked out shortly afterwards for his Irish sabbatical? We weren't permitted to promote a rookie to cover the loss of either, even though Fosdike retired due to injury. I believe it was more of a case of him not feeling he could keep playing at AFL level, rather than not able to play at any level at that point in time.
    Did Kennelly ever leave our list as he went on his Irish sabbatical? He returned in 2010. Did he have to be redrafted through the pre-season draft? Did the Swans have to pay him for his sabbatical?

Veteran Site Admin
    No, Kennelly remained on the list throughout and didn't have to be redrafted. But he wasn't available for selection that season. No idea whether he was paid his contracted salary while in Ireland. I would think probably not, but that would have been between Kennelly and the club. His salary would have counted in the salary cap regardless of whether or not he was actually paid it.

You have a good memory Liz. I didn't recall any of those details.

I thought the Demons were able to promote a rookie when Mitch Clark quit, but I suppose that was due to medical reasons. Certainly if someone is going to retire anyway they can say that their body just won't let them play another game. And what's stopping a club from putting someone on the LTIL?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    NEAFL MVP Votes

Ainslie vs Sydney Swans
    6 Shane Biggs Sydney Swans
    6 Aaron Vandenberg Ainslie
    5 Damien Bowles Ainslie
    4 Dean Towers Sydney Swans
    4 Tom Mitchell Sydney Swans
    2 Ryan O'Keefe Sydney Swans
    2 Nick Salter Ainslie
    1 Cameron Bernasconi Ainslie

Possible vote breakdown: