Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Swans v Eagles march thread

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I think other young midfielders like Dylan Shiel and Dom Tyson are the equal of Luke Parker. The advantage that Parker has is that he plays for a top team who have midfielders like Kennedy, Jack, Hanners, Mckveigh and Jetta who need to be covered before Parker. Dom Tyson is already being heavily tagged because the Demons don't have the midfield depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I love Parker but Nathan Fyfe is easily the best under 23 midfielder in the comp.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Im not quite convinced he is, but he is certainly worthy of being in the discussion, along with some of the other names mentioned (Fyfe/Tyson etc).

Certainly a more than apt replacement for Jude, and he is only getting better week by week. I knew when I saw his first few games for the club back in 2011(?) that he was a good 'un - but his progress is even more rapid than I expected it to be.
    I was being a tad silly with the suggestion, but really when you throw his name out there compared to the other youngsters in the comp he is genuinely in the discussion, even being mindful of Fyfe, and doesn't get anywhere near the recognition he deserves (or at least doesn't seem to, I don't pay that close attention to footy media anymore!).

If we just look at those mentioned here, and add in O'Meaera, you'd be surprised how their numbers stack up: click here

I get the idea that he has the benefit of playing with a strong midfield, but whilst that does mean he's less likely to get tagged it also means he's probably less likely to get a chance to really rack up numbers because he has less time spent in the middle. Fyfe has kicked 11.9 and has 5 goal assists, Luke has kicked 16.6 and has 10- that's a great output from 15 games.

By using a combination of stats I think you can get a look at guys who are damaging in the midfield and creating up forward at this point of the season. I've opted to use the following;
    midfield: >20 disposals per game (included on the off chance a forward is clunking an absurd number of contested marks, I can't recall but think the resultant disposal counts as a contested one), >10 contested disposals per game,
    forward: >15 goals, >10 goal assists
    general: >5 tackles per game

Now, I didn't choose that combination of stats to just be able to make Luke look good, I think it's a reasonable spread. But they do make him look good. VERY good. Right now here are only 2 people in the AFL doing that, and it's pretty good company.
    Gary Ablett 32.1 disposals per game (17.5 contested), 6.1 tackles per game, 24 goals, 18 goal assists
    Luke Parker 24.9 dispsoals per game (11.4 contested), 5.7 tackles per game, 16 goals, 10 goal assists

Edit- in an effort to not look like I was trying to single out Luke, I included Pendles who hasn't kicked enough goals. So 2 guys in the whole AFL, and the other one is GAJ!
    Scott Pendlebury 28.9 disposals per game (13.2 contested), 6 tackles per game, 12 goals, 10 goal assists
    Last edited by stellation; 7th July 2014 at 03:19 PM.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I love Parker but Nathan Fyfe is easily the best under 23 midfielder in the comp.
    I would change the word 'easily' to 'marginally'.

If I had to do a quick ranking it would be:
    Fyfe
    Heppell
    Parker
    David Swallow
    Libbratore
    O'Meara
    Jackson McRae
    Followed by:
    Shiel, Treloar, Tyson

But it wouldn't surprise me if Parker ended up at the top of the list in 5 years. He's really a complete player.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 7th July 2014 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post

Edit- in an effort to not look like I was trying to single out Luke, I included Pendles who hasn't kicked enough goals. So 2 guys in the whole AFL, and the other one is GAJ!
    Scott Pendlebury 28.9 disposals per game (13.2 contested), 6 tackles per game, 12 goals, 10 goal assists
    Would somebody, please, enlighten me what GAJ stands for?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    Would somebody, please, enlighten me what GAJ stands for?
    Gary Ablett junior

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment, obviously it won't be banned - just think that people tend to go a bit overboard with the negativity in the heat of the moment. I guess that's the beauty of this forum though, everyone is rightfully entitled to their opinions.
    But don't you go overboard at a game? What's the difference?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    But don't you go overboard at a game? What's the difference?
    Nah not at all...not in that sense anyway...Sydney supporters as a general rule aren't too bad but there's nothing I despise more than supporters that abuse their own players, or umpires, or opposition players.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Nah not at all...not in that sense anyway...Sydney supporters as a general rule aren't too bad but there's nothing I despise more than supporters that abuse their own players, or umpires, or opposition players.
    Abusing oppo players and giving it to the umps is part of what being a supporter is all about. If that means you despise me, then...meh, I'll live with that. If everyone thought like you, there would be very little crowd noise at the footy.

And I assume when Kennedy cleaned up Jones, you sat there and said "bad luck old chap, bit unfortunate that you whacked young Jonesy in the head there".

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would change the word 'easily' to 'marginally'.

If I had to do a quick ranking it would be:
    Fyfe
    Heppell
    Parker
    David Swallow
    Libbratore
    O'Meara
    Jackson McRae
    Followed by:
    Shiel, Treloar, Tyson

But it wouldn't surprise me if Parker ended up at the top of the list in 5 years. He's really a complete player.
    I'll stick with "easily". He's a phenomenal player. I think Fyfe would have been one of the favourites for the Brownlow if he was eligible. Other than Heppell I don't think any of the others on your list would make much of a ripple in betting circles.

Not saying the medal is the be all and end all of player rankings but it does indicate week to week consistency which some of the players on your list sometimes lack.

Despite the team he plays for I'm really looking forward to seeing how Lachie Whitfield develops his game because he looks like he could be another young gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    but then he wouldn't be under 23 anymore.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches votes

West Coast v Sydney Swans
    10 Luke Parker (Syd)
    8 Ben McGlynn (Syd)
    5 Lewis Jetta (Syd)
    3 Craig Bird (Syd)
    2 Eric Mackenzie (WCE)
    1 Matt Priddis (WCE)
    1 Nick Smith (Syd)

Judging by Horse's press conference I think we can safely assume it was Simpson who gave Mackenzie the 2 votes.

Lecras has still never scored a goal against us for the Eagles. I think that is 9 games now ?
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Lecras has still never scored a goal against us for the Eagles. I think that is 9 games now ?
    I heard 8 games before the game but this site says 8 now. He's kicked 0.7 against us.

AFL Tables - Mark LeCras - Stats - Statistics

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314