Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where is Gary Rohan at with his career?

On the wing
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I thought Gaz tried very hard today. Did some really good tap ons. smothers, tackles. But also a couple of glaring bloopers - trying to pass to Buddy rather than have a shot for goal with the wind behind you. I would keep him in for next week.
    It was a difficult day in the wet but the attempted pass to Franklin was just plain dumb. The whole crowd could see what he was going to do, including incredulously, the swans supporters. Franklin led, exposing the goals - all Rohan had to do was have a ping , the ball would have skidded through. Instead GH honoured the lead. as someone here said maybe he has not got enough mongrel
    in him. clearly overawed on that occasion. Disheartening to see that sort of play at the game. At that time the swans needed a buffer. Things were still tense at that stage.

On the Rookie List
    Still no where near the player he once was and not in my best 22. Battled hard but lacks surety and savvy.His stupid 50 metre penalty give away was one of a few glangers that a better side would have punished more. He has been given generous time on the field and now needs to justify it with some good football.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Like many I was becoming worried about him, but i think he may have turned the corner during this game.
    Started out looking listless and lacking confidence (that pass to buddy screamed " out of form" - but by the end of the game he appeared to have discovered his desperation.
    It reminded me enormously of that final many years ago when Noggy who began his career looking uninvolved, suddenly discovered desperation and went chasing after a loose ball on his hands and knees (2004?).

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    His effort yesterday can't be questioned but still lacking that confidence that a player of his skill set needs as much as anything. There was 2 or 3 times when he was receiving the ball or attempting to pick up the ball on the run and would have been away with plenty of space only to have a costly fumble. His lack of confidence was also glaring when he wouldn't have that set-shot from 45 metres out...at his best he is one of our most accurate kicks for goal and can kick 55+ with ease. No doubt John Longmire would have been straight on the phone telling him to back himself and take the shot. His ability to make defenders panic when they're isolated on him in our attacking half shouldn't be underestimated either...it's a rare trait.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Still no where near the player he once was and not in my best 22. Battled hard but lacks surety and savvy.His stupid 50 metre penalty give away was one of a few glangers that a better side would have punished more. He has been given generous time on the field and now needs to justify it with some good football.
    I think I'm just in the camp of him not being in the best 22, but yesterday was an improvement. Would be happy for him to get another game next week (I wouldn't be suprised if Tippett doesn't play again next week) and see if he can build on yesterday's effort. He needs to start finding the pill more, but like Harry it might just click for him soon!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I thought he went ok yesterday too. One of his better performances in the firsts this year. We need to be patient with Gaz. He may get back to where we thought he was headed and he may not. He's lost 2 years and we need to remember that.

On another matter, while this is a perfectly valid thread topic, I noticed via Twitter that both this and the Goodes thread were started during the game. Just watch us play guys and start these afterwards. We already have a match thread for instant reaction that we regret later!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    Let's see what Gary offers next year as I think he still has a rod in his leg that is coming out after the season? A full pre season unaffected by that and then work out where his best position is.

He has extraordinary skills, blinding pace and a kamakasi tackle so just need to settle him where it best suits the side rather than moving him everywhere.

i think lik a few players such as HarryC, Reid etc Gary will probably get a little time down back as well as up front and he could certainly challenge for a best 22 in 2015
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Plus, Gary's faster than Jetta, according to Jetta himself. That kind of pace is worth looking after.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Plus, Gary's faster than Jetta, according to Jetta himself. That kind of pace is worth looking after.
    But is that after or before he broke his leg?

From what I recall, Mick Turner, his old Falcons coach, said that Rohan was a better player than Ablett at the same age. I believe that Turner is prone to talk up his pupil prior to recruitment but its still a huge complement.

Regular in the Side
    At this stage I continue to wonder just what it is with Gary Rohan ... injuries notwithstanding ... occasional (sorry, rare) bursts of speed and great goals notwithstanding ... this guy just doesn't provide a skerrick of evidence that he will ever be a ball getter in the AFL ... perhaps he needs a psychologist to bring forward the great potential that some see?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    At this stage I continue to wonder just what it is with Gary Rohan ... injuries notwithstanding ... occasional (sorry, rare) bursts of speed and great goals notwithstanding ... this guy just doesn't provide a skerrick of evidence that he will ever be a ball getter in the AFL ... perhaps he needs a psychologist to bring forward the great potential that some see?
    He is playing the hardest position on the ground with very little joy at the moment. Goodes had ten possessions on the weekend (for three goals, one of which was a run past the contest goal). Gary never runs past the contest. he goes and tackles the first guy and then chases the next and then the next. he had eight possessions.

I am not worried about his possession gathering in terms of the numbers at the moment. He is playing in front of the ball as a bit of a get out kick. He is often playing in the space where it is him versus 2-3 others.

On the other hand I am more worried that he gets outbodied a bit too easily and gets knocked off the line of the ball very early. That does mean that he doesnt get some possessions but it also often leads to his opponent getting first hands on the leading to him chasing player after player.

he is very see ball and go to ball rather than initiate contact to give himself space to get the ball.

The thing I would like to see from him is the ability to lock the ball in a bit more and to really impact the play. The tackle that led to the free where shannon hurn got over the shoulder was the opportunity for him to line hurn up and hit him squarely around the waist and knock him into the fence.

He makes every defender have a look and dispose the ball a little bit quicker and gives our players the opportunity to get to the contest through his pressure, but he does need to actually kill the ball more often.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast