Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luke Parker ELITE ?

Luke Parker ELITE ?

I think Luke Parker is just crossing over this season like Kennedy did in 2012 as an elite footballer

Lets be honest he would feature in any midfield rotation in any team in the comp..........if you tag Kennedy well good luck stopping Parker as we saw yesterday on the West Coast of Australia he was like goliath on the clearances and his second efforts and decision making in those conditions was Elite !

Sniper ELITE !!!!

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Yeah he's a special talent that's for sure, gone to another level again this year. Onya Lukey !

Needs to keep improving to be considered elite but signs are good and definitely getting there! One of the best young midfielders going around and just needs more consistency to match Kennedy and the few other elite midfielders in the league. Future is certainly looking bright for our onball brigade!

Veterans List
    Wet tracker. He admitted it himself when interviewed after the game. Wet grounds allow him to catch up to the quicker players and get to contests better. Unless he turns out like Greg Williams, he lacks a yard in pace to be elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Wet tracker. He admitted it himself when interviewed after the game. Wet grounds allow him to catch up to the quicker players and get to contests better. Unless he turns out like Greg Williams, he lacks a yard in pace to be elite.
    You don't need to fast to be elite if that's not your game style. If you think about the elite players they all have their flaws. Leigh Matthews, Hodge, Sam Mitchell, McVeigh, Bartel, etc, etc aren't fast.

Completely Disagree , Joel Selwood is Elite, Pendelbury is elite, Sam Mitchell is elite, Boak is or isn't far off, Lenny Hayes is a great, Kennedy absolutely is. Parker is as quick as any of these, pace is advantageous but not essential to be elite. He may not be elite yet but he's tracking that way. That's quite a small minded assessment IMO

You beat me to it MB bro , you also kinda stole my name, we're not off to a great start ..

Finding the exact season when a player enters into the ELITE is a difficult thing but I think it is a worthy argument. I suppose for many it depends on how many players you allow into the category of ELITE t anyone time as well as truly reflecting on when they became an elite player?

I think Josh Kennedy "moved into" the Elite category in 2012 season....... when Josh became an AA player aswell as one of the best inside midfielders in the comp........He would be my first picked inside mid after Gary Ablett Jnr. I honestly believe Kennedy has surpassed Selwood from what I have witnessed the last 3 seasons. Pendlebury I think of as an inside outside player so I dont think a fair comparison but I would have all 4 above in my starting AA midfield as I think Dangerfield and Jobe are a touch behind the above Four.

My early memory of Pendlebury was a solid exciting player like Parker in his first 3 seasons but for a no5 draft pick i dont think he looked better then Paker in those first 3 seasons........ then Pendles in his 4th season (2009) he really started to "cross over" into the elite category ie when he collected approx 12 or so brownlow votes and in 2010 became an AA from memory ?

I would also argue that Hannes and Jack in 2012 started to move into the Elite category and they backed that up the following season when in 2013 they were both in the top 10 in the brownlow votes and not easy to do when you have Macca and Kennedy right there with you in the voting

So my point being is that Parker is in the midst of "crossing over" ie just on the edge of becoming an Elite player.........just like Pendles we have Luke Parker having played approx 70 or so games in his fourth season and Luke has kicked more goals after similar amount of played as Pendles and it was at this stage Pendles entered the Elite

At 21yrs of age Luke Parker is truly showing in 2013 and 2014 that you have to worry just as much about his impact on a game as you do with Jack or Hannes ........Kennedy goes without saying. That for me is a significant sign along with Luke Parkers stats being second to Kennedy and only just behind Pendles (who is an Elite Player)

hence my feeling is that Luke Parker is crossing over into the category of ELITE in season 2014.........and Pendles is approx 3rd to Kennedy and GA Jnr in the 2014 Brownlow
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

He's also our most accurate goalkicker, going at 64%.

Veteran Site Admin
    Andrew Wu might have been trawling RWO looking for ideas to write an article about...

Luke Parker to join Swans' fab four

Whether Parker is elite depends on how you define elite. For me he's not there yet because I think some degree of longevity and consistency over several seasons has to come into an assessment of whether a player is elite. He's played good football since he joined the club, has been steadily progressing and has definitely lifted a notch this year. But I think he needs to sustain this level of football for another couple of years, at least, before he can be described as elite.

I also disagree with Lyon's assessment of Parker as Sydney's second best midfielder, behind Kennedy. And for similar reasons. He has a strong case for being the second best performed this year. He's certainly been the second most consistent. But Jack, McVeigh and Hanners have performed at a high level for a number of seasons and hence I rank them as more valuable players.

Jack's been a touch below his best this year, probably due to ongoing rib issues as much as anything. But we were reminded of how good his best can be last week against the Giants. I think he's also the 3rd placed Swan, behind JPK and Buddy, in the AFLCA voting for this year. Parker might have caught him up this week, or at least significantly closed the gap.

Hanners' first month was stinky (by his standards) but the two months before he got injured were back to his very best. He's a great young player but in the fishbowl world of the AFL media, out of sight means out of mind.

McVeigh is definitely down on last season but has still been playing pretty good football by most standards. He was excellent yesterday. His 2013 was a notch ahead of Parker this year, and he also won a B&F while at a similar age to Parker now.

The fact that Hanners (when he returns), Jack and McVeigh are all capable of improving on their output thus far in 2014 shows just what a great position the club is in right now.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Finding the exact season when a player enters into the ELITE is a difficult thing but I think it is a worthy argument. I suppose for many it depends on how many players you allow into the category of ELITE t anyone time as well as truly reflecting on when they became an elite player?

I think Josh Kennedy "moved into" the Elite category in 2012 season....... when Josh became an AA player aswell as one of the best inside midfielders in the comp........He would be my first picked inside mid after Gary Ablett Jnr. I honestly believe Kennedy has surpassed Selwood from what I have witnessed the last 3 seasons. Pendlebury I think of as an inside outside player so I dont think a fair comparison but I would have all 4 above in my starting AA midfield as I think Dangerfield and Jobe are a touch behind the above Four.

My early memory of Pendlebury was a solid exciting player like Parker in his first 3 seasons but for a no5 draft pick i dont think he looked better then Paker in those first 3 seasons........ then Pendles in his 4th season (2009) he really started to "cross over" into the elite category ie when he collected approx 12 or so brownlow votes and in 2010 became an AA from memory ?

I would also argue that Hannes and Jack in 2012 started to move into the Elite category and they backed that up the following season when in 2013 they were both in the top 10 in the brownlow votes and not easy to do when you have Macca and Kennedy right there with you in the voting

So my point being is that Parker is in the midst of "crossing over" ie just on the edge of becoming an Elite player.........just like Pendles we have Luke Parker having played approx 70 or so games in his fourth season and Luke has kicked more goals after similar amount of played as Pendles and it was at this stage Pendles entered the Elite

At 21yrs of age Luke Parker is truly showing in 2013 and 2014 that you have to worry just as much about his impact on a game as you do with Jack or Hannes ........Kennedy goes without saying. That for me is a significant sign along with Luke Parkers stats being second to Kennedy and only just behind Pendles (who is an Elite Player)

hence my feeling is that Luke Parker is crossing over into the category of ELITE in season 2014.........and Pendles is approx 3rd to Kennedy and GA Jnr in the 2014 Brownlow
    Kennedy is a brilliant player, but I would have Dangerfield ahead of him. Dangerfield is strong in tight like Kennedy, but also has the explosive pace of Jetta on the outside. Dangerfield is also a great contested mark. Certainly the best out of the other elite midfielders.

Parker's contested marking almost matchers Dangerfield. Parker is the best contested mark pound for pound at the Swans.

Senior Player
    I think each area on the field has elite players. Forward, Backs Mids to simplify.

In regards to mids, there is 4 best ones per team lets say, 4*18=72.

I would say Top 10% is elite. Are we saying Parker is one of the best 7-8 mids in the game? I don't think he is even number 2 at our club over the last 12 months.

It's no knock to not be elite, this is rarefied air for Ablett, Pendles, kennedy etc (fun game would be to pick your elite 7).

He would be the next level down i think, maybe below that depending on numbers of that 72 you let in. Either way that's still an awesome achievement for a youngin, and he is one of my fav's since he arrived ripped as hell and hungry.

Lets just wait and continue to watch..... and enjoy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast