Thread: The Big Scatter

The Big Scatter

Can any club top Moorebanks scatter around the Sydney basin this Saturday I think someone has POed the footy gods
    830 19s Cronulla 1200 Ladies at Gosford 1400 2s at Bargo & 3s at Bensons lane & 1645 1s at Gore Hill God help the support getting around all those games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runt View Post
    Can any club top Moorebanks scatter around the Sydney basin this Saturday I think someone has POed the footy gods
    830 19s Cronulla 1200 Ladies at Gosford 1400 2s at Bargo & 3s at Bensons lane & 1645 1s at Gore Hill God help the support getting around all those games.
    It's the great argument against divisionalisation isn't it ? And you just can't dispute it.
    I feel for Moorebank. Volunteers are so hard to find but a desperate situation like this might just bring out a few mums and dads and WaGs that have been holding back up to now. I hope so.

I think Penno can match it on 9 August
    8.30am U19 Manly
    2.30pm Div 3 Bensons lane
    2.30pm Premier Campbelltown at Macquarie Fields
    6.00pm Div 1 Woolongong

But I support Divisionalisation. We hope for 4 great games of footy and will put up with the travel for away games than to have one venue and lop sided results.

Almost Football Legend
    Happens to every club sometimes. There's no doubt it tests club resources when a club is split over multiple grounds.

But it wasn't all that long ago that Moorebank was only able to field one team. The divisional structure played a role in helping the club rebuild to the stage where they have five teams.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Happens to every club sometimes. There's no doubt it tests club resources when a club is split over multiple grounds.

But it wasn't all that long ago that Moorebank was only able to field one team. The divisional structure played a role in helping the club rebuild to the stage where they have five teams.
    And that's the great argument in favour of divisionalisation. On balance, I support the idea.

Senior Player
    I can say that this weekend will be a struggle for us however Id like to think we can get thru it. Our head physio will be looking after the kids in the morning before traveling to Gosford and then again to Gore Hill. Ill be doing the same and umpiring the girls whilst senior players will also help with both of these teams. The kids will help with ressies and thirds and likewise some from those teams should go to Gore Hill.

JB your 100% right it was only back in 2006 that our club voted on folding. The introduction of divisions allowed us to rebuild and be competitive at the same time. To have 5 teams its fair to say has exceeded our expectations of where we could get the club 7 years ago. It has also helped us slowly start to see past players returning regularly to our home games and reignite their interest in the club.

I would support a return to seniors and ressies playing together again each week in two divisions but only a model that had a clear path for deserving clubs aspiring to play at the highest level were afforded the opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    I can say that this weekend will be a struggle for us however Id like to think we can get thru it. Our head physio will be looking after the kids in the morning before traveling to Gosford and then again to Gore Hill. Ill be doing the same and umpiring the girls whilst senior players will also help with both of these teams. The kids will help with ressies and thirds and likewise some from those teams should go to Gore Hill.

JB your 100% right it was only back in 2006 that our club voted on folding. The introduction of divisions allowed us to rebuild and be competitive at the same time. To have 5 teams its fair to say has exceeded our expectations of where we could get the club 7 years ago. It has also helped us slowly start to see past players returning regularly to our home games and reignite their interest in the club.

I would support a return to seniors and ressies playing together again each week in two divisions but only a model that had a clear path for deserving clubs aspiring to play at the highest level were afforded the opportunities.
    How would you put it together Tara? Show some examples. Which clubs in which division?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post

It wasn't only your club.

All the western suburbs clubs had their battles at various stages post 2005. The divisions may well have saved one or two of them.

But it's also allowed other clubs to expand or move divisions. So its benefits aren't just limited to those clubs who may have been struggling.

You do get occasions like the one highlighted in the opening post, but as pointed out above it's amazing how the club can rally on such occasions. In a way it has probably forced clubs to try to expand its volunteer base, or get players more involved than before in helping out on match day.

I'd also say that its the exception rather than the norm that a club would be scattered to such an extent The league does its best to marry up away games with the same club where possible - for instance, on the other side of the coin, Penrith this weekend has five games away, with four being at the same venue.

But for all that, the stretch on resources is definitely the down side of the structure as it is. I'm with JB though, on balance the negatives outweigh the positives. And while it may not be the long term answer for Sydney footy, for the time being certainly I think the divisional structure is doing the job it was designed to (and will do so into the foreseeable future).

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    How would you put it together Tara? Show some examples. Which clubs in which division?
    Per an earlier post:

Based on the current comp you'd have

SFL 1 - Sydney Uni, Baulko, Manly, Penno , Wests, St George, UNSW-Easts, North Shore, UTS and Campbelltown
    SFL 2 - Sydney Uni, Balmain, Wollongong, Sutherland, Holroyd Parramatta, Mac Uni, Penrith, Moorebank, and two of UNSW/Camden/UTS /Hawkesbury/Blacktown/Randwick

Below that you'd have a raft of thirds, fourths and fifths team plus Gosford, Wollondilly and any new teams.

Automatic promotion and relegation based on home and away

This is assuming Uni and Baulko come back into the Sydney football fold....