Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zak Jones - where does/will he play?

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp

Question Zak Jones - where does/will he play?

Over the last couple of weeks I have read a number of posts that have Zak playing off half back.
    Is that only because he came in when Shaw went out and it was assumed he would be playing Shaw's role?
    Did Jones play that role before being drafted?
    I always thought he was a inside (+ slightly outside) midfielder, hopefully similar to Hanners.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    He's been playing mostly in defence in the reserves with some short spells in the midfield.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    He's been playing mostly in defence in the reserves with some short spells in the midfield.
    As a defender (eg: Smooch) or rebounder (eg:Eski) or both (Rampe?)?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    He was definitely a midfielder at Under 18 level TAC cup but in the National Champs he played off a half-back and was named MVP for Vic Country if i remember correctly. I'd say he'll spend most of his time in the backline until a spot in the midfield opens up, but that doesn't look like happening any time soon

He played his best underage footy in the backline.

He seems a ready made back pocket/ back flanker, for his early AFL career.

I reckon his early forays into the midfield will be tagging jobs, I reckon his combative nature would make him a natural at tagging.

It's too early to know where he'll end up.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I think he will be a versatile player............and could easily be the small defender or midfielder due to his all round ability
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

He's 18.

And don't call him small. If ever there was a likely lad who doesn't look like he thinks he is small its Zac.

They are still probably working him all over the place to turn him into an all rounder, like all of the boys (except Smooch, and even he can kick a mean goal). But he has a hard head, intent, speed, physique and smarts. Take your pick.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    He's 18.

And don't call him small. If ever there was a likely lad who doesn't look like he thinks he is small its Zac.

They are still probably working him all over the place to turn him into an all rounder, like all of the boys (except Smooch, and even he can kick a mean goal). But he has a hard head, intent, speed, physique and smarts. Take your pick.
    Smooch?

Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    Smooch?
    Smith.

Veterans List
    Midfielder written all over him.

He has played back according to all the evidence I can gather. he has had stints in the mids but essentially a back. he was recruited as a defender. Reason for that is Shaw will be retiring soon and Mal won't go forever. His being 18 we were probably looking to blood him next year but the kid just puts in and haw could the coaches overlook him when a possie came up.

Yes he could tag in the mids but he is really a very good defender as he has proven in the few matches he has had. The lovely thing about Zac is that he generally uses the ball so well and coming out of the defence we need young players like him.

Love the idea of him as a tagging mid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast