Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Eddie McGuire Effect" on the Swans

"The Eddie McGuire Effect" on the Swans

Anne Manne - ABC Conversations with Richard Fidler

So I was driving home from the city yesterday and I decided to flick on Conversations with Richard Fidler (ps love technology and the ability to listen to good stuff when you want and where you want)..............

So back to the story.........I chose to listen to the recent interview with Anne Manne and the subject discussed was ....."causes and implications of our increasing narcissicism"

ancient meaning "Narcissicism" - he or she who fell in love with his or her own image

As I was sitting there listening, I was thinking broadly of people I know as well as people in the public spotlight. Unfortunately I could not help but think of how Eddie is trying so hard at the moment to draw attention to his opinions. In fact Eddie is pushing his opinion probably the hardest right now that I have ever witnessed. It appears with the recent comment that Eddie made re John Longmire that he is no longer arguing about the good of the game

In fact he is personally attacking Longmire and the Swans via the show that is for all viewers not just for Eddie to watch replays of himself.

todays headline : Longmire won't work with me, claims Eddie

Me, me, me, me, me, me !!!

In my humble opinion Eddie McGuire has without doubt a lot of power to persuade. Eddie has a ripple affect in the AFL media, the AFL, the supporters of AFL and most importantly Sydney Swans and football in NSW. This power to express his views to millions of people like he did when cracking what he thought were jokes about Adam Goodes is such a double edged sword..........ie when he is fighting for AFL it feels right and when he is personally having a go at clubs or club people it just doesnt wash well with me and it feels like it is all about Eddie.

So my questions are:

1. Is Eddie putting Collingwood and or himself above the AFL at the moment?

2. Did the Kevin Sheedy's voice of reason have any affect on the publics opinion with his Clown Prince article?

3. Did the recent retort by Andrew Pridham educate the public or sway the publics opinion of the Swans?

4. If it appears that Swans are loosing the media battle and potentially AFL battle......Is there anything that the public or the Swans supporters can do to even out the ledger against unfair attacks

Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 11th July 2014 at 08:39 AM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    If it appears that Swans are loosing the media battle and potentially AFL battle......Is there anything that the public or the Swans supporters can do to even out the ledger against unfair attacks

Great post very thoughtfully delivered.
    I am not sure about the questions 1-3 but in regard to no 4 I always maintain you can lose as many battles as necessary to ensure you win the war. There is nothing any Swans supporter can really do to even out the ledger the best response will be to win the war on September 27 and then to be gracious in victory. After that we could potentially look forward to another 2-3 victories in premiership wars over the coming years.

I think Eddie has turned into "rent an outrage" I don't think he is actually getting any traction on this issue actually. Most AFL supporters want to see the game expand

Looking at Malthouses comments yesterday most people realise they need to temper their comments about us.

Whilst COLA has changed, in substance it is still here I expect the same for academies.

That said he did get off way to easily for racist comments directed at AG. I do think we need a new AFL chairman. Mike Gitzpatrick should tell him to pull his head in

He has less credibility in Melbourne than people on hear realise

It's important not to over-estimate Eddie Everywhere's impact. Everything he says and does is governed by self-interest (i.e. Collingwood football club). But outside of Collingwood, he has no direct power. Everything he achieves is indirectly, by stirring the pot and making as much mischief as possible. He is not well-respected in Melbourne, but he is brilliant at attracting attention. Everyone knows he's just a Collingwood trouble-maker and shouldn't be taken seriously.
    The way to deal with mavericks like Eddie is to play the man, and not engage in issues chosen by Eddie. Sheedy is well aware of this, hence the Clown Prince tag. Every time Eddie pops his head up, either ignore him or make fun of him.
    The Swans best strategy should be - don't complain, don't explain, don't apologise. Tomorrow will always bring another headline and Eddie's bulldust will be gone with the wind.

Great post Auntie.

I also listened to Richard Fidlers' interview (I love his show, he's a wonderful interviewer) with Anne Manne....I didn't think of Eddie...But I do now, he fits the bill.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Good work AG. Small correction: only one "ci" in narcissism.
    But you've hit the nail on the head where Eddie is concerned. He identifies himself with Collingwood, has one white eye and one black, and is quite self-absorbed. The AFL imho should refrain from putting him in charge of anything other than Collingwood as he will always make its perceived wellbeing his first priority. His commitment to the club seems always to come before his commitment to the game.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    It's important not to over-estimate Eddie Everywhere's impact.
    Eddie Everywhere ... involved in everything ... a finger up every pie

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

I think this thread needs to be renamed "The Clown Prince Effect"
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

Warming the Bench
    Great thread, Auntie Gerald. The man is a walking contradiction who uses his media profile to push his own selfish agendas, mainly against the Swans. I find it ironic that his two main gripes being the COLA and the Academy, were deemed by the AFL as being two major equalisation measures, yet he claims that 'all I want is an equal competition'. The Footy Show and Triple M in particular, are blatantly used as his platforms for a constant stream of whingeing.

I continue to be astounded that the abuse of his obvious power in the media, combined with his position at Collinwood is not seen as a major conflict of interest by the AFL. I am resigned to the fact that this won't chnge and I think the Swans are taking the right approach to his Sydney-bashing: A united front in showing distain for him and his club. I could not be happier with how our club has been, and continues to be run. Let him make a clown out of himself, he's bloody good at it.

As an equalisation measure, the AFL should have Eddie handcuffed to Brian Lake.

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast