Page 11 of 90 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: We've had enough McGuire!

This is the thing with Eddie. If someone disagrees with him he just turns into a 12 year old schoolyard bully, throwing insults.

Seriously considering dumping Foxtel
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    " ... game show host ... a very important occupation ..."

Brilliant. He knows how to use words, does Mr Prez.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yep the line of support is growing. Good article here by Emma Quayle.
    Why the Swans Academy is nothing to be scared of
    Another good article from a significant person with a balanced view. Didn't like her suggestion for Mills & Dunkley next year :-( Any changes to the bidding system should start from 2016 :-)

Veterans List
    Just thinking a bit more about Quayle's suggestion, what would we do if the AFL forced us to decide between Mills and Dunkley if they were both rated around the same mark.

Both are compelling reasons, Mills to keep faith in the Academy system in that if you are good enough, we will select you, Dunkley for the F/S connection and doesn't he have a younger brother just as good that we won't get if we burn Josh for Mills.

It's really important that we don't get any changes for next year.

Or we can get Mills to tank next year :-)

Warming the Bench
    Was anybody else as amused as I was when McGuire went on his rant about us letting 'superstars' like Jarrod Witts walk out of Sydney???

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by joemoore12 View Post
    Was anybody else as amused as I was when McGuire went on his rant about us letting 'superstars' like Jarrod Witts walk out of Sydney???
    Outrageous - Collingwood got a "Superstar" as a freebie!

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    In light of recent events, the folks over on the BigFooty Swans board have recorded a very special podcast in which they reveal the truth about the Swans Academy, discuss the state of the game in NSW, back up Andrew Pridham's comments and tear into good old Eddie. A special thanks to TheMase and Norris Lurker for their participation.

Get Stuffed McGuire The Swans Bigfooty Podcast S02E20 - YouTube

Audio Link

Subscribe in iTunes

Feedback welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    This is the thing with Eddie. If someone disagrees with him he just turns into a 12 year old schoolyard bully, throwing insults.

Seriously considering dumping Foxtel
    That's exactly right. He goes off on different tangents as soon as he's been called out on something. Either that or he tries to make an ordinary joke.

I read the other day that he said "we need to get back to having a bit of fun". What complete rubbish.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

I really don't know what Eddy is trying to achieve.( except to intimidate the Swans)
    Is he talking equalization or fairness? AFL clubs are certainly not equal and is it fair that each year certain clubs start out with a huge advantage.
    in the Olympics competitors are given access to exactly the same equipment. In the AFL, clubs are allowed to draw on their historical strengths.
    Not only have some clubs prospered but there have been further benefited by being scheduled for blockbusters. (Eddy gets one dud and he cries)
    The AFL is now seeing that clubs some needs compensation on a yearly basis because they are scheduled to backwater times and places.
    I wonder how long it will take for the AFL (and others) to wake up to the historical imbalances? i'm talking VFL here. WA and SA clubs should be in a strong position as they are at the moment. NSW and Qld are still special cases. The Swans should be lauded for getting out of the mire and into the limelight, yet what do they receive - criticism not accolades. It's just a little premature to start torpedoing the Sydney club and maybe a good time to use it as a model to resurrect clubs like Brisbane and Melbourne.
    give it to the game

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks XS I must look it up.

There is one thing that amazes me in all this and that is the ignoring of the fact that both the Swans and Brisbane are operating in Rugby dominated states. Eddie and others put up this equalisation argument, ie we just want equalisation and a fair go for the Doggies and Saints (!!) etc, but the Swans and Brisbane are greatly disadvantaged (leaving GWS and GCS aside because they do get preferential treatment at the moment) by operating in Rugby dominated states. Why is nobody loudly and forcibly pointing this out. The Swans struggle to build a big fan base in Sydney despite all these years and recent successes and the team is still predominantly made up of interstate players. The Swans and Brisbane should have preferential access to NSW/QLD players for this reason alone.

As with the COLA half truths still peddled by Melbourne journalists, I think it is puzzling as to why the ALF maintain silence on these issues. Is the AFL really beholden to the narrow interests of Eddie McGuire and Melbourne clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    As with the COLA half truths still peddled by Melbourne journalists, I think it is puzzling as to why the ALF maintain silence on these issues. Is the AFL really beholden to the narrow interests of Eddie McGuire and Melbourne clubs?
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Thanks XS I must look it up.

There is one thing that amazes me in all this and that is the ignoring of the fact that both the Swans and Brisbane are operating in Rugby dominated states. Eddie and others put up this equalisation argument, ie we just want equalisation and a fair go for the Doggies and Saints (!!) etc, but the Swans and Brisbane are greatly disadvantaged (leaving GWS and GCS aside because they do get preferential treatment at the moment) by operating in Rugby dominated states. Why is nobody loudly and forcibly pointing this out. The Swans struggle to build a big fan base in Sydney despite all these years and recent successes and the team is still predominantly made up of interstate players. The Swans and Brisbane should have preferential access to NSW/QLD players for this reason alone.

Yes, let's look at what we can do for the Saints, Doggies, Roos and Demons but it has nothing to with Swans.
    I doubt giving COLA to these four clubs would help in any way (probably hinder).
    With these four clubs it's to do with (lack of) market share. the Dogs have tried honestly to identify with Western Melbourne.
    The Roos have and still are trying to identify with everyone. The Saints belatedly are trying to react whilst Melbourne have relied solely on their "picks".
    People look at the coach and the players but what makes a good club is a good administrator.
    give it to the game