Page 87 of 90 FirstFirst ... 37778384858687888990 LastLast
Results 1,033 to 1,044 of 1070

Thread: We've had enough McGuire!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Thanks for the informative and interesting comment. I wonder if you'd explain why you think those who attend games will be first to be hit up? I wouldn't be happy going to games to pay more while thinking I was compensating for revenue lost in the digital market, and I am unlikely to pay more to attend matches marred by the moronic supplementary "entertainment" and by the impossibility of having a conversation with the person sitting next to me over the noise of the moronic PA rubbish fans are subject to.
    For better or worse the US is regarded as the benchmark for professional sports, and it seems to me the AFL looks very closely
    at what goes on over there. A lot of the things that we see at AFL games now are direct imports from sports events in the US.
    The "supplementary entertainment" you refer to has been a staple in the US for many years. I was at a Dodgers game in LA
    just a few weeks ago, and the "match day experience" we have to endure these days at the SCG during the breaks is a fraction
    of what occurred there. Go to any NBA game, and you'll wonder how any basketball gets played at all. It is literally a circus.
    While you (and I) and most of the people posting on this forum dislike all the non football "entertainment" at AFL games these
    days, a lot of people don't mind it. So we aren't representative of every person going to games. And so I think fans going to
    games are an easy target for a price hike. If you are a Swans member and have a reserved seat in one of the so-called premium
    areas you pay about $50 per game for your seat. At the Dodgers game I sat a similar distance from the field as my seat in
    Brewongle and our tickets cost $130 each. The equivalent ticket to an NBA or EPL game costs about the same. Tickets to
    see "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof" last night at the STC cost a bit under $100. Tickets to Metallica at ANZ later this year on Level 4
    cost $265. So compared to all of these other events, going to the footy is pretty cheap. And I think the AFL know it, and
    when they start looking for extra money, they aren't going to have to look far to find it.
    Last edited by KTigers; 16th May 2019 at 11:29 AM.

Being entertained by the AFL/Swans is a winter-long experience, so membership ($300+) price is equivalent to those one-off Metalica concerts.

There is no way the AFL will increase game day ticket prices. It lives and dies by the crowd size, not the crowd revenue.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Being entertained by the AFL/Swans is a winter-long experience, so membership ($300+) price is equivalent to those one-off Metalica concerts.

There is no way the AFL will increase game day ticket prices. It lives and dies by the crowd size, not the crowd revenue.
    Barry.... c'mon.... the AFL lives and dies on money, just like all businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Actually, talking about the PA: if the AFL was actually interested in catering to the preference of fans, then perhaps they could do a modern version of what used to happen on trains? That is, a while ago, you had the choice if you wanted to sit in the smoking carriage or the non-smoking carriage. So, for AFL games, perhaps you could have the choice, if you wanted to sit in the stand, were the PA was turned on or where the PA was turned off? For me, the two grounds that I go to, are Carrara and the Gabba. Carrara tends not to have the PA turned up to 11, whereas the Gabba does. Also, the Gabba gives the microphone to what I call, 'red cordial girl'. Who is probably a young woman, around the age of twenty, who's possibly a commercial radio personality: but to me, she sounds about twelve years old and she's just finally seen her daddy walking in the door, two months after mummy told her, that, "Daddy doesn't really love you".
    If I'm not mistaken, you are coming perilously close to saying she "talks like a little girl!" I hope she's not affiliated with the Bombers or the umpires else you might be in a bit of trouble.

While you're making the analogy with trains, maybe you're better off using the more up to date (i.e. current) division of train carriages (in Sydney) into quiet and not-quiet carriages.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Agree entirely, but the bloke who is probably the most expensive and contributes ZERO is Eddie. As Tim Watson said when the controversy of McGuire calling Collingwood games was rife: "Him calling Collingwood doesn't worry me, what is more important is that he's not a very good caller." Spot on Tim. Yelling louder does not equal excitement. He is the worst I've listened to and I've been listening since 1949.
    Notice McGuire in damage control in terms of Goodes documentary. Waxing lyrical about how it was'heatbreaking' the way Goodes was hounded out of the game. He wants to be involved in setting things right. Hard to trust his egotistical motives but if you attack him, it would be seen as churlish. Probably very annoying for both the Swans and Adam. All about Eddy again.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Notice McGuire in damage control in terms of Goodes documentary. Waxing lyrical about how it was'heatbreaking' the way Goodes was hounded out of the game. He wants to be involved in setting things right. Hard to trust his egotistical motives but if you attack him, it would be seen as churlish. Probably very annoying for both the Swans and Adam. All about Eddy again.
    I hear Eddie gets scorched in the upcoming doco.
    He's trying to control the agenda to reduce the impact on him personally.
    Crocodile tears..false apology..I wanna be part of the solution, not part of the problem etc...
    How bloody transparent is this low life?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Eddie: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah blah. Sorry I got busted.
    It's ALWAYS about Eddie.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    Eddie McGuire reveals late-2000s proposal for Collingwood to play on the Gold Coast

I thought I'd tack this onto an existing thread, just so we can remind ourselves how irritating Eddie really is, even though he's no longer president.

"Ah yes, what great blokes we are, offering to play half our away games away from home, up on the sunny Gold Coast, so long as we are guaranteed the rest at the MCG. Not thinking of ourselves, mind. We've always got what's best for the competition front of mind."

This is the same wheeze that Carlton tried to pull at the same time as killing off the Swans in the early 1990s - establishing a "home away from home" where they could play all their away games...

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Eddie McGuire reveals late-2000s proposal for Collingwood to play on the Gold Coast

I thought I'd tack this onto an existing thread, just so we can remind ourselves how irritating Eddie really is, even though he's no longer president.

"Ah yes, what great blokes we are, offering to play half our away games away from home, up on the sunny Gold Coast, so long as we are guaranteed the rest at the MCG. Not thinking of ourselves, mind. We've always got what's best for the competition front of mind."

This is the same wheeze that Carlton tried to pull at the same time as killing off the Swans in the early 1990s - establishing a "home away from home" where they could play all their away games...
    He's like the Terminator. In Melbourne, he could be crushed into tiny pieces and he will still reform. Still part of the Melbourne Boys Club.

Of course, he doesn't actually say who he put the proposal to and how serious he was, when he allegedly did that.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

And, oddly enough, it was Collingwood who objected the most to Carlton's plans of effectively having 2 home grounds.

Chris Scott called him out as someone who just makes stuff up on mondays footy classified. No one on the panel objected.