Thread: 2022 VFL Changes

Regular in the Side

2022 VFL Changes

More money, more matches, more opportunity: VFL changes for 2022

Salary cap increase and an extra two games -- hopes for a return to normal next year ??

Some key points:

• Increases to $220,000 for VFL standalones and $110,000 for AFL and aligned clubs.
    • Concessions of $10,000 outside the cap allowed for development coaches and $5000 for indigenous coaches.
    • AFL and aligned clubs have 30 listed players (15 primary, 15 development including maximum of 13 Category A: NAB League or Northern Academy players who are still engaged in the talent pathway program, aged under 22).
    • All clubs to field 23 players per match - AFL and aligned: A minimum of seven under-22 players, including a 23rd man who must be an active 18-19yo player from the club’s development list, an aligned NAB League club or Northern Academy. Under-18 players must be approved by the AFL
    • The new fixture will start on the weekend of March 26-27 and feature 22 rounds, with the 21 clubs receiving four byes each.
    • Matches dates and starting times will again align with the AFL schedule wherever possible.
    • Each club will receive nine home matches as they welcome their loyal members and supporters back to the footy.

Sounds good. Can you post a link to your source please?

- - - Updated - - -

VFL set to welcome new rule changes for 2022 - AFL News - Zero Hanger

- - - Updated - - -

Is that salary cap a total for the whole list (of non-AFL listed players)?? Or per player?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Sounds good. Can you post a link to your source please?
    The link is there. Just click the heading of "More money, more matches, more opportunity: VFL changes for 2022"

The tiny font misled me - I thought it was just a by-line or something and went straight past it.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Look forward to seeing who is in the Swans VFL squad next season. How many of last season's squad will still be involved next season?

Regular in the Side
    The AFL has announced the 2022 VFL season is set to begin on Saturday March 26, 2022. Source:
    vfl-2022-to-begin-late-march

I think our VFL team this season is going to be fantastic. Really hope I get to watch some more games. Between Covid and my other commitments it's been a few seasons since I was regularly watching the ressies.