Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3979858687888990 LastLast
Results 1,057 to 1,068 of 1070

Thread: We've had enough McGuire!

Senior Player
    Re a team in Tasmania ; We all know there SHOULD be one. The AFL distributes money to all the clubs (the amounts vary, from
    $10M a year to West Coast to $18M a year to St Kilda & the Western Bulldogs to $25M a year to GWS and the Suns).
    Everyone gets a cheque. Without their cheque every club would have to close down. Tomorrow. So yes, a Tasmanian club
    will have to get a cheque. Just like everyone else already does.
    If the AFL are out of money and it's highly likely they are, then take a million bucks off each of the existing clubs. Get the Tas
    government to pony up $20M a year and there you have the $40 million a year needed.
    Seriously, there is a pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers called Trevor Bauer who is being paid $45 million USD this year.
    You've probably never heard of him and he's not even that good.
    We as a sport, as a country, should be able to have a footy team in Tasmania. Yes, it's cold there in winter. So what.
    Maybe put another jumper on or something. I survived getting up at 5:00AM to do a paper round as a kid there for years.
    It's character building. Maybe Ed can redeem himself partly by getting on the Tasmania bandwagon and giving it a push.
    Last edited by KTigers; 9th April 2021 at 12:22 PM.

Eddie replacing Gil the Dil would send the game of AFL back into the dark ages.

On the Tasmania element, some of what he says does make some sense (look it can happen sometimes!) - I tend to agree with KT's overall assessment more broadly.

Getting a Gov to stump up 20m a year is going to be a tall ask in the current environment imho. But they do already stump up a lot to lol@norf and the wees and poos....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    MCS... if the Hobart Devils or whatever they are going to be called actually happen, then that'll be the end of the North & Hawks games
    in Tassie. I'd be really keen to see the current junior participation numbers in Tasmania. I see them as a real barometer for future interest
    in the code. That's the issue going forward for western Sydney and the Gold Coast. Not enough kids taking up the game and becoming
    "footy people" down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    MCS... if the Hobart Devils or whatever they are going to be called actually happen, then that'll be the end of the North & Hawks games
    in Tassie. I'd be really keen to see the current junior participation numbers in Tasmania. I see them as a real barometer for future interest
    in the code. That's the issue going forward for western Sydney and the Gold Coast. Not enough kids taking up the game and becoming
    "footy people" down the track.
    That was my point KT - that there is dollars related to North & Hawks games that could be reallocated
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That was my point KT - that there is dollars related to North & Hawks games that could be reallocated
    Yes, I figured. Maybe North and Hawthorn can sell their games elsewhere so they are not as out-of-pocket. I can't believe the Tas government
    can't find $20M-$25M. There are new roads around my old hometown that cost way more than that, and they look I could have built
    them. The ACT government is paying GWS $1M per game to play those games in Canberra. Interest rates are pretty much zero. I just
    think where there is a will there is a way. It's undignified not to have a team in Tasmania.

Yes, I figured. Maybe North and Hawthorn can sell their games elsewhere so they are not as out-of-pocket. I can't believe the Tas government
    can't find $20M-$25M. There are new roads around my old hometown that cost way more than that, and they look I could have built
    them. The ACT government is paying GWS $1M per game to play those games in Canberra. Interest rates are pretty much zero. I just
    think where there is a will there is a way. It's undignified not to have a team in Tasmania.
    Meh, I don't mind if both those clubs are out of pocket hahaha.

The ACT Government deal with GWS reflects more the love of AFL of the current Chief Minister than anything else. Way over the odds compared to what it should be in reality for the related benefits it brings, especially compared to the funding provided to genuine local teams in other competitions.

Will be interesting to see if the 'will' will be enough - I hope so, as I have loved watching our swans a couple of times down there now in Hobart, thoroughly enjoyable trips!

Veterans List
    It's not impossible. It's not like there is an obvious heir apparent to McLachlan, and being the poster boy for casual racism
    in this country mightn't be enough to hold him back. Sometimes people like McGuire get these high profile gigs because other
    more suitable candidates don't have the energy or tolerance for all the unnecessary BS that surrounds the jobs. Look at politics
    for instance.
    He was a miserable failure at Channel 9.

Veterans List
    The new President of Collingwood reckons he'll be pushing for Eddie to get on the league commission.....*%$# off! The Northern clubs need that like a hole in the head. I just wish the little turd would finally fade away from the footy world......but narcissists don't know how to retreat.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The new President of Collingwood reckons he'll be pushing for Eddie to get on the league commission.....*%$# off! The Northern clubs need that like a hole in the head. I just wish the little turd would finally fade away from the footy world......but narcissists don't know how to retreat.
    We've had some biased Commissioners but Eddie would top them all, probably wear his Pies tie to meetings, grrrrr

Just fade away Eddie, you're latter time at the Pies was a disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    We've had some biased Commissioners but Eddie would top them all, probably wear his Pies tie to meetings, grrrrr

Just fade away Eddie, you're latter time at the Pies was a disgrace
    Please everybody, go to the AFL website and write an email of protest regarding them even giving him two seconds of consideration for this.

What a bloody humungous disaster it would be.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    He was a miserable failure at Channel 9.
    and in the end, also spectacularly at Collingwood

Why can't we appoint Eddie Minister in Charge of Counting the Christmas Island Crab Migration? Christmas is almost here. He can leave now.