Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 18 v Hawthorn

Veteran Site Admin
    I think there's a decent chance of Sammy being upgraded to the senior list. It helps that his reserves form has been very good over the last two weeks. With Nankervis not having played for a few weeks with a broken finger and Tommy D now out for a while with a hammy, we may have no choice. LRT is the only other real cover for Pyke and even he's not had a continuous run at reserves level for the last month or so.

Otherwise we may need to revert to my earlier suggestion of Benny sitting on KJ's shoulders.

Luke Parker has been doing a pretty good job!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Luke Parker has been doing a pretty good job!
    Mr Jack of all trades!!

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Tippett in for Towers, B.Jack sub.

Shaw can have a week in the reserves...he is traditionally rusty upon return anyway. This leaves Gaz at half back (how good was his spoiling?!) and if need be we can throw Macca down to help out.

Cunningham to run with Isaac Smith and Lloyd can test out his much hyped endurance by following around Hill.

Recent matches have shown that if you can cut down the effectiveness of Hill and Smith that it leaves the Hawks majorly lacking run and outside pace.

Bring on Saturday night!

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    ....Shaw can have a week in the reserves...he is traditionally rusty upon return anyway. ...
    It was mentioned in another thread, I don't know which, that Shaw has been good on his first game back from injury. It is the second and third week that he has dropped off.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I think Rohan could be a good match up for Smith , and Cunningham to go to Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by split_city View Post
    Roughead is due for a big game so hopefully Teddy is switched on. My worry is Gunston. Rampe will probably go to him. Gunston was kept goalless last time but his supply was limited. I'm a fan of Rampe but he can struggle when the pressure is on.
    Roughys 200th.
    Agree re Gunston, is a huge threat. Laidler may go to him but if they isolated that match up at full forward it would be a worry.
    Need a big game from Grundy as third man up with no Hale, McEvoy might drift forward, but isn't the repeat scoring option that Hale is.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    It was mentioned in another thread, I don't know which, that Shaw has been good on his first game back from injury. It is the second and third week that he has dropped off.
    I think that's quite a common trend amongst AFL players returning from injury lay-offs. The first week back they are fresh and raring to go but it takes them longer to recover from that first game because their post-game bodies remind them that they haven't played at the top level for a few weeks. They then go into the next game a bit sorer than normal and often struggle a bit until their bodies get into the swing of things. It's probably more relevant for players who've had longer injury lay-offs than just a few weeks, but it does seem like a common trend.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Tippett in for Towers, B.Jack sub.

Shaw can have a week in the reserves...he is traditionally rusty upon return anyway. This leaves Gaz at half back (how good was his spoiling?!) and if need be we can throw Macca down to help out.

Cunningham to run with Isaac Smith and Lloyd can test out his much hyped endurance by following around Hill.

Recent matches have shown that if you can cut down the effectiveness of Hill and Smith that it leaves the Hawks majorly lacking run and outside pace.

Bring on Saturday night!
    Unfortunately, I think that Hill would continually burn off Lloyd and expose him for pace. Lloyd is not a shut-down player, her is a distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I think Rohan could be a good match up for Smith , and Cunningham to go to Hill.
    I agree, I like the look of those match ups.

It also leaves Jetts to do his thing, not sure who the Hawks have to match up on him.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veteran Site Admin
    Not sure Rohan would have the endurance to go with Smith (or Hill, for that matter). Both are very quick but they are also amongst the Hawks' best endurance runners. Rohan might be able to keep up with Smith in bursts but would risk being burnt off as the game wore on. Cunningham is probably better equipped, endurance wise but he can't play on both.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Hill missed this weekend's game. Jordan Lewis didn't seem to convincing on AFL360 on Tuesday night when asked whether Hill would return this week.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Rohan has elite speed. Would he have the endurance to go with Smith over four quarters? Smith is an absolutely elite endurance runner.

Another option could be to play Zac Jones on Smith. Longmire noted Jones speed, endurance and defensive capabilities. Zac would relish the tagging responsibilities. When he is spent (assuming no injuries) we bring Lloyd onto Smith from the Subs bench.

We could use Rohan's 3rd man up abilities against Roughead, Gunston and Macvoy.

Ins - Tippett and Jones
    Outs - Towers and Brandon Jack

Sub - Lloyd

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast