Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 18 v Hawthorn

Opti-pessi-misti
    Hopefully I am right in thinking that Rohan is starting to find his feet. There is a bit of a glimmer there of his as yet untapped potential. The running goal on Sat. should help in the confidence area. It would be good if we could keep him in the team so we could see his development.

If he gets going - not necessarily this year - we are going to have an exciting, scary team!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It would take a brave coach to drop Lloyd when we are yet to lose a game with him in the side. He's not really doing much wrong either. He had a good game on Saturday.

Anyone think we should bring in Derickx? ..................................Anyone?
    Lloyd stays in and Dan can't get a game you think? Big call. And sometime in the next two months we will have an injury and if it's Sam or Mike, I'll be very glad to have an experienced ruckman ready to come back in and fit seamlessly back into the team.

i mentioned in the Rohan thread similar re Lloyd

ie what is the 'affect' of pressure roles and hopefully what is the positive 'effect' that the 'run with' or 'tagging' players are having for our team structure and scoreboard results ?

I personally think Lloyd is playing his role fairly well right now and that role is to simply minimise the effectiveness of attacking players in the opposition team. The reason he is playing this role is because our mantra in attack is to play fast direct football and our mantra in defence is to ensure that when balls come into our 50m we have created space and time for our defence to reset and nullify the attack

I also think Rampe, Smith, Laidler, BJ, Harry, Birdy and even Rohan etc etc are sticking to their coaching instructions and fulfilling these KPIs

the attacking opposition players such as Judd, Yarran, Simpson etc were minimised and we got the gam back on our terms which is simply critical to win week in week out !!!.....we didnt see hardly any long driving balls to one on one leads by carlton .......ie Gibbs and Thomas was kept in nice and close to the contest and up against our very strong inside players so alot of the touches on the ball by Thomas and Gibbs really didnt provide their team with dangerous passes into our 50m arc

The hard part for us supporters is that when we watch scrap matches or ressies or playing a particular team we might see the glimpses of a player being let off the reigns and being able to lead more for the ball or push ahead of his player to make the attack flow................but generally against good opposition or tight games we will not witness a Lloyd, Rohan, Smith, Rampe, Laidler, BJ, Harry or even Birdy be given the luxury of too much space from their matchup or required zoning on the field

more importantly we need to take into account our direct footy and most of the time our inside players dominate receiving or passing the ball and in two seconds flat we are looking for our one on one tall forwards !

it is a little chicken or the egg.............we want to play direct footy to some of the best one on one forwards in the comp............well that means we needed this year a few more run with or tagging roles and the 'effect' is wee are winning with a game plan that works !!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Lloyd stays in and Dan can't get a game you think? Big call. And sometime in the next two months we will have an injury and if it's Sam or Mike, I'll be very glad to have an experienced ruckman ready to come back in and fit seamlessly back into the team.
    Never said anything close to that.

Tippett and Dan come in for BJ and Towers. But if Shaw is also ready then it will be a tough call between Rohan, Cunningham and Lloyd as to who goes out. The first 20 slots are pretty well set, but after that there's a competition between 5 players (add Mitchell and Jones to the above list). I don't think it will be a game changer whoever we chose. They all add a good contribution and can play a role for the team.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 14th July 2014 at 02:38 PM.

It is a bit like the John West ad about the quality of the "discard". I think Mick Malthouse was playing a mind game about the quality of our list but there is a lot of truth in it. What ever happens this year we will look back with envy that the quality that did not make the top 22.

I don't see Shaw as an automatic in when fit. Had some good games this year but to my eye he's not quite the player of a year or two ago. Experience counts but Rohan's speed, height and spoil make him a great option down back.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Far Reach View Post
    I don't see Shaw as an automatic in when fit. Had some good games this year but to my eye he's not quite the player of a year or two ago. Experience counts but Rohan's speed, height and spoil make him a great option down back.
    I think it's too early to call for Rohan to permanently replace shaw but I do think he should play a game in the reserves I his way back

Senior Player
    I mean shaw should play a game in reserves

Roughead is due for a big game so hopefully Teddy is switched on. My worry is Gunston. Rampe will probably go to him. Gunston was kept goalless last time but his supply was limited. I'm a fan of Rampe but he can struggle when the pressure is on.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    I mean shaw should play a game in reserves
    I thought he was good in round 1 against GWS, possibly one of our best 3, and was amazed that he came back so well. It was after that that he was a bit rough.
    So straight back into the AFL, then 3 weeks in the NEAFL for mine.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Changes Round 18 V Hawks

Thought this thread was already up but couldn't find it.

It sounds like Hanners may not be ready from what Horse has said...So I think they'll go with the following..

IN : Tippett, Shaw

OUT : Towers, B Jack

Sub : Lloyd or Rohan
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I approve that post
    -

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast