Thread: Sub strategy

Sub strategy

What do people think about the sub strategy? Useful for blooding marginal players, but I felt sorry for Rohan and BJ in recent weeks, getting subbed on and playing across HF?hard for them to get involved. Jones, by contrast, came on and played off HB, replacing Shaw, and immediately got his hands on it. As we move into the last third of the season, should we be selecting running mids as subs to make sure that we get full impact?

I think that is a good idea but it depends if we get an injury to a players that prevents that strategy. I thought Saturday night he could have brought on the sub a bit earlier, but I know Horse is conservative to the timing of subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I think that is a good idea but it depends if we get an injury to a players that prevents that strategy. I thought Saturday night he could have brought on the sub a bit earlier, but I know Horse is conservative to the timing of subs.
    Sometimes too conservative, but not this week. The plan was clearly to give KT 3/4 on his first game back and we were fortunate enough to be injury-free to that point and able to execute it.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Suspended by the MRP
    I think it should be used to give hardworking midfield players a rest. Jake Lloyd could probably do with a little rest in the subs vest. I'm not opposed to giving Kennedy or K.Jack a rest in the subs vest if they are starting to tire and lose sharpness. It's a long season.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    It'll be a shorter season if you start resting your star players and you end up missing on the Top 4.

Goes up to 11
    I'm certainly not for starting our stars in the green vest, but like Saturday, I'm happy seeing stars subbed off when the match is in the bag (and if there are no injuries).

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    It'll be a shorter season if you start resting your star players and you end up missing on the Top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I'm certainly not for starting our stars in the green vest, but like Saturday, I'm happy seeing stars subbed off when the match is in the bag (and if there are no injuries).
    This

On the Rookie List
    The Idea expressed here often about "resting" players is strange for a couple of reasons.Firstly I have never met a player who doesn't want to play.Thats what you are there for and thats what you want to do. Injuries are depressing because you can't play and you want to play. Secondly as a tactic it totally changes the team dynamic which as one person said,can make the season even shorter.The best teams are the stable teams with the fewest changes. Being asked by the coach or selection committee to "have a rest" would be insulting to a player IMO, bad for the team and lastly bad for morale.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I think it should be used to give hardworking midfield players a rest. Jake Lloyd could probably do with a little rest in the subs vest. I'm not opposed to giving Kennedy or K.Jack a rest in the subs vest if they are starting to tire and lose sharpness. It's a long season.
    Actually its a very short season, and they now get 2 bye rounds. I even hear reports of players wanting 20 week seasons. Talk about the tail waging the dog.

I think the bulldigs / giancircusa model is about the best. Lets an older impact player extend his career

22 matches plus finals at the sort of intensity these guys play with is more than enough. Factor in pre-season training and trial games and it's a hell of a long year.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph