Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruckmen.

Ruckmen.

We desperately need to trade for a ruckman at the end of the season. Derrickx and Pyke are very limited footballers, and with Pykey being 29, he ain't gonna be around for to much longer.

Jack Hannath, Lycett, Sinclair, Gorringe are all second string ruckmen from other club's who could be traded with our second round pick.

No way i'd give a first rounder for any of those blokes.

IMO we should start giving Nankervis or Naismith games next year onwards. Need an up and coming ruckman desperately though. Will get found out in finals with either of Derrickx or Pyke.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Agree, another senior in the ruckman on the list would be beneficial.

However, I thought Mike Pyke's game on the weekend was very good. Mumford has been the 'form' ruckman of the competition over the last few weeks, but had mninmal impact on Saturday.

I don't think we should make a play for ruck-men come trade time.
    Nankervis is the one I see dominating future games for us and can kick goals.
    Naismith back up in the future.
    What we need is to look for players that can replace our ageing players. We've already got 2 young ruckmen that look the goods!

Quote Originally Posted by jetts32 View Post
    I don't think we should make a play for ruck-men come trade time.
    Nankervis is the one I see dominating future games for us and can kick goals.
    Naismith back up in the future.
    What we need is to look for players that can replace our ageing players. We've already got 2 young ruckmen that look the goods!
    I agree but from my understanding Naismith is more than a back-up ruckman. Pyke will be 31 when next season starts and even though he had a late start to AFL, not many rucks go past 33. I would envisage Naismith as the no.1 ruckman and Nankervis as the no.2 ruck/forward. I think they will make a great duo for many years to come. I'm not sure where this will leave our reserves though as we will need to look at recruiting couple of guys or at least back up players for those roles.

a couple other angles

1. can TD improve enough going forward to be an important player for the Swans best 22?

2. and if so can he do that with another offseason and be better come 2015 season if Mike Pyke was out injured all season?

3. If TD can not achieve this in 2015, would Nanny and or Sam be able to step up and compete at a standard that permits our team and be a top4 team?

Answers :

1. It is 'possible' that TD can improve and succeed Mike.......but there maybe better options out there for 2016 onwards and it is critical for our team to have the luxury of being flexible around the clearances via a dominant Ruckmen especially in finals.........this season so far the coaching staff and key senior players made it work some how.
    Our midfield and coached setups adapted to loosing hitouts, loosing clearances against good teams......the key was positioning well enough in defence to then counter attack with sharp long kicking to our key forwards. I must admit i have been super worried about the trend of loosing clearances but we structured ourselves well enough to prevent goals, then apply tackle pressure in our own half via tackling and then counter more often then not very well.........well enough to win anyway !
    BUT it stands to reason that we would play better if we didnt have to compromise so much on the tap work and if we had a Ruckmen tapping to advantage more then TD did this season. So it is a fair question re Pykey, TD etc and what could be with more clearance dominance.
    The irony of our weak hitouts to advantage and clearances was that it made our team very adaptable after confronting this adversity in 2014...... and we could easily cope with this situation later in the finals series where as some of the top teams may not be as proficient under finals pressure

2. I think we can cope with Mike out for long periods in 2015 and TD rucking, but it would not be my preference until i see how he is doing against Mike in the 2015 pre season which is too late as it is post draft

3. Nanny and Sam have stacks of potential and after watching Mike Pykes career it always amazes me how fast people can develop after a couple of offseasons and years playing with their midfield and coaches. If Sam can remain injury free for 12months he can definitely win hitouts vs Mike and I would have to say that he could do that right now at 50/50 or better. But has he fitness and adaptability when the opposition starts to smash him around ?? not sure but he is as good as most kids i have seen for his age.
    Nanny needs another year or two i think to become a snrs ruck but he has stacks of upside and especially under the current rules and reduced interchange progressing to lower numbers each year going forth

Short answer is i would keep TD and the list we have and not chase a ruck this draft coming unless we are so massively happy with all other possies and we have the cap space to lure a more exciting Ruckmen
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    If we think we can get a potential gun-ruck that is ready to go for next to nothing then great, go for it! - but we won't be giving up our 2nd round pick.

Sammy and Toby are both incrediby raw but with plenty of upside. And whilst Mike and Tom D have the number 1 and 2 ruck positions locked up it gives the ruck-whisperer a great opportunity to mold and develop the two young guys.

i think that Sam Rowe or Dan Currie have taken a while to get semi regular games. Rucks take a while and I suggest we give the new crop of talls a chance to grow...

I think Naismith has the potential to be an extremely good ruckman at AFL level, he should be starting to come good by next year.

Nankervis is coming along well but for mine Sam is ahead at this stage.

Tom D is a great number 4 assuming the others overtake him but I feel he may also be a late bloomer.

So, agree with the above poster and say let's give them at least 18 months to grow

Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    We desperately need to trade for a ruckman at the end of the season. Derrickx and Pyke are very limited footballers, and with Pykey being 29, he ain't gonna be around for to much longer.

Will get found out in finals with either of Derrickx or Pyke.
    Pyke is a premiership ruckman...And did it in the 2012 GF with little to no help from a hobbled Mummy. So not sure why you think we'll be found out in finals with Pyke.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I have liked Pyke from the beginning and am coming to think of him as an exceptionally fast learner as well as dedicated trainer and student of the game. All of which means that I think (a) his place is secure while he is fit, and (b) we should be very careful about using him as a yardstick for anyone else's development.

Going on what we hear from the ressie watchers, I don't think we need to pursue ruckmen just now.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I am with Jason Dunstall alk you need from a ruckman is to be competitive. Don't think we need any more here. Naismith will add to our depth next year

Veterans List
    We'll be using our 2nd rounder on Abe Davis!

So we trade in an AFL standard ruckman over summer, how do you see the team next year? Pyke will still be number one ruckman, Tippett and Reid still doing the back up, so this traded in ruck will be in the NEAFL with Derickx, Nankervis and Naismith?

Think we can wait this year and see what happens. KPD are more important to get into the squad.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast