Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Sweeping changes' to Academy and Father/Son bidding system

We now seem to have a bidding system on what the bidding system should be. According to this story we might have to give up THREE picks to get Heeney.

"The bidding system ? which also applies to players who fall under the father-son criteria ? is being reviewed by the AFL. The league?s general counsel, Andrew Dillon, will have his revision of the system completed and announced soon. It is likely the revamped rules will see a club that is good enough to win the premiership, has an academy and has the best talent will need to give up not just selection 18 but perhaps as many as three draft picks to secure Numero Uno."

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    And suddenly Heeney has been anointed the "No 1 pick" in the the upcoming draft. I eagerly await his admission to the AFL Hall of Fame by the end of next week.

And a Brownlow?

i personally think Mills will be just as good

Eddie and the vic CEOs know that if we get Mills and Heeney the next two years combined with Bud, Tip, Reid and the depth we have now we will be a top 4 for the next 5 years min
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Goes up to 11
    The other clubs should be taking a similar attitude to what they're taking with the Suns and Giants lists - sitting back and waiting for the obvious overflow of talent and picking off a player they want/need with a better deal. If our list does become so stacked, particularly with these couple of young guns to join, surely we will have to offload some talent along the way?

A smart club like Geelong targeted and got Caddy from the Suns a couple of years ago. Instead of moaning, the other clubs should be positioning themselves in such a way to be able to take some advantage of our supposedly stacked list over the next couple of years.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    No it couldn't. I haven't read a single article that has referred to the Academy by its correct name, that is the 'QBE Sydney Swans Academy', nor any reference to QBE as the major sponsor of the Academy. And there is ignorance of QBE's role in every online discussion of the Academy that I have read. Indeed many people seem to think the AFL funds the academies.

So zilch return from this kerfuffle for QBE. If I were their Sponsorship/Marketing manager I would be extremely annoyed about the way this issue is being handled, which is quite disrespectful of their significant contribution to date.
    I beg to differ, Meg. QBE get a lot of branding out of the Swans being on TV - in particular, the finals. They get a lot of mileage out of being associated with a winning team. It is definitely in their best financial interest to ensure that the Swans have every advantage, and therefore their academy investment helps to mitigate against the Swans missing the finals. It is their way of taking out insurance

It is a smart move by QBE to invest in the Academy in order to maximise their investment into the Swans.

We now seem to have a bidding system on what the bidding system should be. According to this story we might have to give up THREE picks to get Heeney.

"The bidding system ? which also applies to players who fall under the father-son criteria ? is being reviewed by the AFL. The league?s general counsel, Andrew Dillon, will have his revision of the system completed and announced soon. It is likely the revamped rules will see a club that is good enough to win the premiership, has an academy and has the best talent will need to give up not just selection 18 but perhaps as many as three draft picks to secure Numero Uno."

Three picks - now that is ridiculous to the other extreme. We should only ever have to pay 1 pick, equal to what other teams are willing to pay, like f/s, for a first selection each year. If there are more than 1 player we want, then i think its fair that we have to maybe give up a bit more than just a 2nd rd pick. But 3 picks for one player - an absolute crock.

Heeney seems to get better between games, opposed to during them.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Heeney seems to get better between games, opposed to during them.
    I'm surprised he hasn't overnight become Brownlow favourite for this year. Its like we are getting a bona-fide, guaranteed 350+ games, quadruple premiership player for nothing. He may be good at junior level, but he comes with exactly the same levels of risk as every other big name draft pick.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Yet another example AFL managed high farce. Gillon was to a bad start before he started and this doesn't give me confidence in his leadership credentials. Seems to sway in the wind, where the wind is the flatulence emanating from eddie's arse.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Wow.
    That rule doesn't seem to be aimed at a specific club at all!
    Realistically how often would that situation arise?
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

"Any team that is based in a city that ends with the letter y and wears red and white and has a F/S nomination that might be a bit good after a season where they played a bit good and yeah....so any team who meets that totally random criteria has to give up three picks. Ok? Yep meeting over"

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast