Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Nick Malceski eyes move to Melbourne Demons

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Stephen Allender. We traded him to Hawthorn at the end of 1983. He wore 14 for us.

I should have remembered that.

Pleased that Bird has signed a 2 year contract.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    People assume that the retirements of ROK and LRT will free up salary cap space. I disagree. They are both not contracted next year and I don?t think the club was planning for ROK to be playing AFL Football at 34 and an injury ravished LRT to be playing at 31 or 32.

Malceski going could be the best thing for the Swans.

Rohan and Jones are ready to make an impact at AFL level of the half back line. McVeigh could spend some time down back as well as Mitchell, Lloyd, Heeney and Hewitt make progress towards playing more time in the midfield.
    If they are not contracted for next year then wouldn't that free up salary cap on this years cap? Makes sense to me. Goodes, LRT, ROK & Rhyce all have contracts ending this year. If they all decide to retire then salary cap room is there to recruit other players and increase wages for existing players. I see what you are saying but at this stage I am sure Goodes and Shaw are both factored into next years cap. LRT & ROK wouldn't be as they are basically retired already, they just don't know it yet. I don't know if ROK will get too many offers from other clubs, Melbourne or Saints maybe, more as a good role model than anything.

I think Mal will go, especially if we win the big one. I think he is looking to his future and Sydney probably won't be able to match an offer from Melbourne, Saints, Bullies etc. We also have several players we have been developing to take his role when he retires or leaves so it won't be panic stations. As to Frawley coming here forget it, we don't need him. I think he a soft and we don't need a soft key defender. Watched him tackle a key forward about 2 weeks ago and it was pathetic. The forward broke the tackle far too easily. I would rather develop the backs we have and also draft some newbies for development. We develop players better than most and our development players are starting to win games for us. Parker, Rohan, Membrey, Towers, BJ, Mitchell, Rampe, Harry, Lloydy, Birdie, Macca, Kizza, Reidy, Jetts, Reg, Hannas, Mal, Jones, Tommy Walsh, LRT, ROK, Smithy & Pykie are all players developed by the Swans not bought from another club. Kennedy, Benny, Teddy, Tip & Buddy are the only players who came here as already developed talent.

By the way I would like to add after seeing Tommy Walsh play FB this week, don't write big Tommy off just yet. He played a super game in the Twos. I have been saying for 2 years we should be playing this bloke back. The coaches did it a few times when we had a monster forward to tackle but then kept moving him forward, even though he plays really well back. He is proving to be a very good defender. A bit like the Reg story, came to the Swans as a forward, ends up at FB or CHB.

Malceski is one of our most important players, and we would be considerably weaker without him.

I don't like all the rumours of players leaving being spread in the middle of the season, it upsets the players and clubs. I think Nick has more to worry about than where his next half million dollars is coming from and who's paying. He has a game to play against Port and I'd take a guess he would be thinking about who his opponent is going to be and getting his body right for the game. All this mid season talk about players moving to other clubs is just meant to upset team balance. I bet Damien Barrett is behind the rumours, as he is Eddie's cats paw. All the talk of player movement is reminding me of NRL, they even had a player who was playing his last game for one club holding up the opposition strip before the game, he was leaving mid season. I hope this never happens in our game.

He's still playing alright though.

If Malceski goes to free agency he will be and All Autralian on $800,000 equals a gauranteed first round pick = #19 or #20 for us :-)

Still getting shafted as (apparently) Melbourne would get #2 or #3 for Frawley who is a vastly inferior player. How he was AA a couple of years back is a bizarre mystery.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    If Malceski goes to free agency he will be and All Autralian on $800,000 equals a gauranteed first round pick = #19 or #20 for us :-)

Still getting shafted as (apparently) Melbourne would get #2 or #3 for Frawley who is a vastly inferior player. How he was AA a couple of years back is a bizarre mystery.
    I'd rather be shafted like that than be the Demons.....

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    If Malceski gets $800k a year i'll eat my hat

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I don't like all the rumours of players leaving being spread in the middle of the season, it upsets the players and clubs. I think Nick has more to worry about than where his next half million dollars is coming from and who's paying. He has a game to play against Port and I'd take a guess he would be thinking about who his opponent is going to be and getting his body right for the game. All this mid season talk about players moving to other clubs is just meant to upset team balance. I bet Damien Barrett is behind the rumours, as he is Eddie's cats paw. All the talk of player movement is reminding me of NRL, they even had a player who was playing his last game for one club holding up the opposition strip before the game, he was leaving mid season. I hope this never happens in our game.
    It happens every year at this time, remember all the hoo haa around Ablett and Cloke in previous years?
    We are noticing it more this year as it concerns one of our own and in years gone by our boys have all usually been re-signed by now.

I think we should expect a mid to high second round compensation pick at best. Mal is over 30 and I wouldn't expect he'd be offered a contract term longer than two years given his injury history. Whether or not he is AA does not affect the level of draft compensation. All it might to is add some $$ to his contract.

I thought the size of the offer contributed to determining the free agency compo ?

By the AFL dropping the veteran's allowance it makes it increasingly difficult for clubs to retain some much loved long time players. And free agency makes it even more difficult in that clubs can sign these players without losing draft picks. Clubs have to preserve salary cap to retain good players in their prime while asking 'aging' players to take pay cuts to do it. I read somewhere that Adam Goodes would be facing a big pay cut if he stayed on next year.

In the case of Malceski, it's asking him to choose between staying with the club he loves and financially doing what's best for his family.

I don't know why the AFL dropped the veteran's allowance. It doesn't seem to be an equalisation measure since it would appear to affect all clubs the same.