Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Nick Malceski eyes move to Melbourne Demons

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't know why the AFL dropped the veteran's allowance.
    If they have dropped it then it makes Brett Anderson's article in this weeks Inside Football a trifle redundant and might I say just plain wrong!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    I don't know why the AFL dropped the veteran's allowance.
    I remember the veterans allowance being brought up when the COLA issue was being discussed. It was mentioned how it was unfair because it allowed even more room in the salary cap. Even though all clubs could use it I'm assuming it was dropped for "equalisation" purposes. That is the buzz word these days!

By the AFL dropping the veteran's allowance it makes it increasingly difficult for clubs to retain some much loved long time players. And free agency makes it even more difficult in that clubs can sign these players without losing draft picks. Clubs have to preserve salary cap to retain good players in their prime while asking 'aging' players to take pay cuts to do it. I read somewhere that Adam Goodes would be facing a big pay cut if he stayed on next year.

In the case of Malceski, it's asking him to choose between staying with the club he loves and financially doing what's best for his family.

I don't know why the AFL dropped the veteran's allowance. It doesn't seem to be an equalisation measure since it would appear to affect all clubs the same.
    Agree with Ludwig, it's just a disincentive for both clubs, and ageing players, to stay loyal.

But I think you'll find in past years, some of the struggling clubs that can't afford to spend even their full salary cap, have been disadvantaged.

Though this problem should be solved with the equalisation tax you'd think?

Now that all clubs are able to spend their full quota, they should reintroduce the veterans allowance to promote loyalty.

Fans generally love to see their clubs champions finish at their respective clubs.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I didn't think the veterans allowance had been scrapped yet?

As far as I know the Veterans Allowance has not been scrapped just changed. The situation used to be that you could cut 2 Veterans salaries completely from your cap and still do the same for two Rookies. But that has changes and you can now do either. If you are an older club you would cut Veterans but that would mean you couldn't cut two rookie salaries from the cap. That is the way I read the new rule unless they have changed it again.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    It's now just a fixed payment on top of their contract isn't it? I think it was something like an extra $110k p.a ?
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    It happens every year at this time, remember all the hoo haa around Ablett and Cloke in previous years?
    We are noticing it more this year as it concerns one of our own and in years gone by our boys have all usually been re-signed by now.
    I noticed it last year with buddy too and Cloke before. Horrible. I think the AFL press are just a bunch of jackals. Damien Barrett just says what Eddie tells him to, Robbo is a rumour monger, the idiots on the 9 & 7 programs would be lucky to know how to read & write let alone have an intelligent thought between them & the 7 commentary teams are full of yes men, ass lickers and racist, homophobic dullards. I read an article on the SMH website today and was astounded at the lack of editing. It was one of the most atrocious pieces of journalism I have had the displeasure to read. In fact it was impossible to read in parts the continuity was so bad. That article was actually purporting to be real news let alone sport. The sports journalists in Australia are akin to George Bush, ignorant and illiterate.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I noticed it last year with buddy too and Cloke before. Horrible. I think the AFL press are just a bunch of jackals. Damien Barrett just says what Eddie tells him to, Robbo is a rumour monger, the idiots on the 9 & 7 programs would be lucky to know how to read & write let alone have an intelligent thought between them & the 7 commentary teams are full of yes men, ass lickers and racist, homophobic dullards. I read an article on the SMH website today and was astounded at the lack of editing. It was one of the most atrocious pieces of journalism I have had the displeasure to read. In fact it was impossible to read in parts the continuity was so bad. That article was actually purporting to be real news let alone sport. The sports journalists in Australia are akin to George Bush, ignorant and illiterate.
    Don't forget many publications are having their proofing and sub editing done overseas. Explains why some stories seem disjointed when perhaps those editing the story have no "feel" for the content.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

I thought the veteran's allowance was going to be scrapped after this season, but not sure if there's been an official announcement. Here's an article from the AFL website about it - I don't know if there's anything more recent:

Veterans' allowance set for the chop - AFL.com.au

There was word of phasing it out but I'm not sure where it stands right now

Veterans List
    Veteran's allowance - it's future will depend on whether Collingwood will be using it in the near future :-) If they are not, then Eddie the "Commissioner for Equalisation Except Where it Disadvantages Collingwood" will make sure it's given the flick!

Suspended by the MRP
    I think Malceski and Shaw can be covered for 2015 if they are not at the club in 2015.

This is how you could do it.

Play Jarred Macveigh at half back for greater periods of time. He has the kicking skills of Malceski and is a tough opponent. He would still rotate through the midfield for periods. 50/50 half back and midfield.

Start Isaac Heeney as a rotating half back flanker and midfield player. From what I've seen of him he looks like he has great kicking skills on both feet. He is tough and looks like he can do a defensive job if given one. You would rotate him through the midfield to develop his midfield skills. 50/50 half back and midfield.

Have Zac Jones also playing as a rotating small defender and midfielder. He is tough, with great defensive skills, good pace and endurance. 50/50 half back and run with defensive midfield roles.

Garry Rohan will ad pace through the lines and his kicking skills will come on with more confidence. Can also play forward if required.

McVeigh, Jones and Heeney can give you good ball use on the half back line with the flexibility to play well in the midfield.

The Swans will not only have forward and bench players who can rotate through the midfield, but back line players who can now rotate through the midfield as well.

This will ad to the flexibility capability that John Longmire is looking for.