Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Malceski eyes move to Melbourne Demons

I would think he would a rather odd player for Melbourne to go after, a 30 year old half back flanker with a history of knee issues. That seems ridiculous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I would think he would a rather odd player for Melbourne to go after, a 30 year old half back flanker with a history of knee issues. That seems ridiculous to me.
    Yep, I agree. He's not at a stage in his career to be helping build a team long term.

You'd think a more likely scenario would be a team that think they will be contenders in the next few seasons.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veteran Site Admin
    Maybe, maybe not, They have to throw their salary cap at someone, especially if Frawley departs. Why not give a decent pay day to a player in return for their leadership and insights into what makes a successful side. Mind you, there are enough ex-Swans at the Dees already that you'd think they'd already have a handle on how the Swans go about things.

Hopefully the club finds a way to accommodate him in the cap and he plays out his career in the red and white. It would be sad to see him go, even though I understand the financials might be hard to juggle.

melb need more wins in 2015
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Mind you, there are enough ex-Swans at the Dees already that you'd think they'd already have a handle on how the Swans go about things.
    I recall that Roos, in his early days as the Melbourne coach said he would have to stop saying " at the Swans we used to ........ etc." So I don't think they need Malceski for that reason.

Also wouldn't Mal be on our veterans' list which means we can put just over $118,000 of his salary outside the cap? The Demons would not be able to do that so if he is to get a considerably better deal with them, it would certainly be expensive for them.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I'd like to see him stay another season, but if he decides to head for Melbourne he'd go with my warmest good wishes and thanks for the terrific contribution.
    And I'd be telling Gary Rohan his position is a lock.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Totally +1 dimelb.

We should be getting Alex J back next year (fingers crossed all goes well), I reckon Towers too is a great fill for the spot. We are ready to back fill such a favourite son to our club and we can all just trust the powers that be. No doubt he would prefer to stay with his team/boys but he has to think of himself first and we cannot blame him for doing so.

If he goes...... "all the best Mal, thanks for the memories"

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I'd like to see him stay another season, but if he decides to head for Melbourne he'd go with my warmest good wishes and thanks for the terrific contribution.
    And I'd be telling Gary Rohan his position is a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    Totally +1 dimelb.

We should be getting Alex J back next year (fingers crossed all goes well), I reckon Towers too is a great fill for the spot. We are ready to back fill such a favourite son to our club and we can all just trust the powers that be. No doubt he would prefer to stay with his team/boys but he has to think of himself first and we cannot blame him for doing so.

If he goes...... "all the best Mal, thanks for the memories"
    Yep, a +1 from me too.
    Mal is a long time favourite of mine and he has given this club his all for many years now, but when it comes time for him to hang up his boots, they are going to be hung up for a very long time and if he can feather his nest a bit fuller at another club then so be it. Having said that, I'll believe it when I see it.

If it happens, he will join Mummy and Drey on my no boo list!

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    We are no guarantee to get Johnson back full stop let alone next season...and they are fairly different players!

On that note, does anyone have an update on how AJ is tracking?

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    We are no guarantee to get Johnson back full stop let alone next season...and they are fairly different players!

On that note, does anyone have an update on how AJ is tracking?
    I thought I read somewhere, recently, that he still hasn't had his surgery. (Though I'm not certain on the timing)

They are being extra cautious to make sure he has absolutely NO pre-op swelling. It seems a costly lesson has been learnt.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

If Melbourne want Mal and Frawley is leaving it might make sense for both clubs to do a trade for Malceski. I figure Frawley is in the same category as Daisy Thomas and could get Melbourne another top 5 pick. Malceski is likely to get Sydney an end of second round pick, which would be around pick 40. But if Melbourne take Malceski as a free agent then they will offset the Frawley compensation and the best they could hope for is a pick around 25.

But they can trade their 2nd round pick around 24 for Mal and keep the Frawley compensation intact. The Swans improve their position by around 15 positions and Melbourne effectively trade 2 picks in the mid 20s for a top 5 pick, which is probably a good deal all around.

Due to his injuries he has only reached his full potential late in his career and has never been able to cash in on his abilities. He is probably the best HBF in the game at the moment and should be able to get a 3 year 1.5 mil deal with another club to close out his career. And no one could blame him if he did. He can move to Melbourne where buying a house is so much cheaper.

Of course we will miss someone who has been so critical to our success. Fortunately we have a number of players that can step in and fill the slot. Biggs does the same job in the reserves that Mal does in the seniors and has been playing good consistent football. You would have to give him a fair chance of stepping up into the role if need be. Macca has shown that he can also play that role at a very high level, and we have plenty of midfielders to step in for Macca.

two words re the arguably best HBF in the comp

Luke Hodge

but i luv Mal and he is a gun
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast