Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Malceski eyes move to Melbourne Demons

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    From my conversations with players over the years I think their real allegiance is to their fellow players. They may like the coach but they love each other (largely - Ryan didn't seem impressed by Mitch). So it'd be like leaving your family to follow a popular schoolteacher. Add money and it could work. But I think you are massively downplaying the loyalty that the Swans have shown to Mal through all his reconstructions.
    True but there is a price for most people. Melbourne have less talent so can afford to pay better talent a bit more. Also with less talent in the side, his career might last a little longer there. Hope he stays

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Swans' Nick Malceski puts contract talks on hold

Interesting article from Emma Quayle...not really sure what to make of it though.

It makes sense to put talks on hold given finals are just around the corner but that often to leads to the player leaving...

Having said that, it also gives Sydney more time to tinker with the list and sit down with a few of our ageing stars and decide who will play on and who will hang 'em up - if this hasn't already been decided that is.

Here's an interesting hypothetical...say Goodes has instructed the club he would like to play on in 2015 barring serious injury, but the only way we can retain Malceski is if Goodesy gets the tap on the shoulder to say his time is up, what would we prefer the club to do?

Iit's a tough one, because I think Malceski is more important to us being a contender in the next few years but then forcing arguably the club's greatest ever player into retirement could do irrepairable long-term damage to our culture.

Looking forward to reading the debate...

To me that article says he's outta here.

He's got our offer but won't sign it and will look at what everyone else puts on the table.

And the quotes from the manager saying it's his last contract.

He ain't staying. Time to go out as a dual premiership player.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Swans' Nick Malceski puts contract talks on hold
    Here's an interesting hypothetical...say Goodes has instructed the club he would like to play on in 2015 barring serious injury, but the only way we can retain Malceski is if Goodesy gets the tap on the shoulder to say his time is up, what would we prefer the club to do?

Iit's a tough one, because I think Malceski is more important to us being a contender in the next few years but then forcing arguably the club's greatest ever player into retirement could do irrepairable long-term damage to our culture.

Looking forward to reading the debate...
    Interesting. Tough call but personally I would say to Goodsie, thanks mate, time to go and you should retire a winner. For two reasons;
    1. Mal still has a few years left in him
    2. Membrey needs to be promoted into our future forward line.

Though Goodes salary has already been spent I would say.

It'd be funny if he went to Hawthorn.

The hawks do love a laser like left foot off the half back line ...

Opti-pessi-misti
    Re Mal and Goodesy
    I can understand putting off making such an important decision until the end of the season. At this stage there are so many unknowns and if you are fully focussed on getting to the GF this year, which is a real possibility but will still take a huge effort, I wouldn't be in the right headspace to weigh up all the possibilities either. It is probably the first time in his footy career that he can call the shots. It would be nice to have a few clubs competing for your signature and putting up sums of money which give you a bit of an idea of what they think you are worth in dollars and cents, even if you do intend to stay! If he is made an offer that the Swans can't match? Hmmmm ... tricky!

Goodesy is also faced with a big decision. I am sure he realises that his retirement would open the way for someone else and free up some money. Would winning a third flag or not influence his decision? He has stated that he is really enjoying his footy and the role he is playing now but also acknowledges his limitations. I think he is preparing himself to finish up - the knees are only one knock away from putting him out for good anyway. On getting to the Swans Buddy said that he was aiming to help win a third flag for Goodesy!!! Only time will tell.
    Last edited by rojo; 22nd July 2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: To improve it!

There is simply no way goodes should be playing next year. And people should acknowledge this . He is playing on fumes at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    There is simply no way goodes should be playing next year. And people should acknowledge this . He is playing on fumes at the moment.
    I agree, it would be a classic case of 1 season too many.

Obviously he's still contributing, all be it in a compromised fashion.

If he keep the cameos coming in September, it would be an excellent way to finish.

Re: Mal...His comments have all the hallmarks of a player leaving.

If so it will be sad to see him go but not bad timing for him or the club.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Mal's manager may be asking him to hold off and wait for a possible AA selection which would be an asset in his contract demands

Veterans List
    Perfectly reasonable on Mal's behalf. Doesnt sound like he's made his mind up to me - or at least I hope not.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I agree - whilst he's doing pretty well at the moment, he's really only a bit-part player this year and he has bigger and better things ahead after he hangs up the boots at year's end...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast