We need to be mindful with Nick that he has had the good fortune to be around a club that has constantly competed (remember, he debuted in 2005, played in the GF in 2006 then won a premiership in 2012), which is wonderful- but quite often does mean that players are earning just that little bit less than they might earn elsewhere (not key forwards, obviously! ). He has also had 3 major knee injuries, which would have reduced his ability (well, his manager's) to drive up his price with other clubs- AND he's been a one club man for a decade, so he hasn't had that salary bump of going elsewhere... I can't be certain, but I'm sure he didn't sign a contract between the end of his excellent 2007 and the start of 2008 which probably would have been his best period to get a big jump. I imagine he is currently on significantly less than his market value.

I'd love for him to stay, he's absolutely one of my favourite players on the list- but I wouldn't be too surprised if he's earnt a fair bit less over his career to date than we might think, and if that is the case Roos would know it (whilst he wouldn't have worked the books himself, he would be aware). His current contract was just a 1 year extension for this season, I don't know if that was at the club's discretion or Nick's, but if we have a 1 year at below market rate "but you get to stick with the boys" offer on the table, and Melbourne have a 3 years at above market rate "you get to move back home and help Roosy build something" offer then it would be hard to beat. Particularly if he was planning to move home at the end of his career, he can get started on lining up his post career future as a barista or craft beer brewer now.