Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Malceski eyes move to Melbourne Demons

Blog Entries

Nick Malceski eyes move to Melbourne Demons

SYDNEY premiership player Nick Malceski could be heading to the Demons next year if he is @unable to reach agreement on his future with the Swans.

The unrestricted free agent is believed to have the interest of his former coach Paul Roos, with Melbourne set to pounce via the free agency window as the Demons continue their rebuild.

Melbourne are keen to offset the potential loss of free agent James Frawley, who will almost certainly be playing elsewhere next season, with Hawthorn and Geelong understood to be the current frontrunners. With Frawley?s management drastically dropping down on price to what was his @initial asking rate five months ago to shift, the only stumbling block now facing potential new clubs is the length of his next contract.
    After re-signing on a one-year extension in May last year, Malceski?s financial demands to stay a Swan are understood to have initially been out of reach of the Swans, but both parties have since compromised.
    Sydney?s star-studded list needs some salary cap relief, which will be largely accommodated by the retirements later this year of dual premiership players Ryan O?Keefe and Lewis Roberts-Thomson.

Former captain and free agent Adam Goodes will decide at the end of the season whether to have his contract extended by another year. The Swans are understood to be extremely close to announcing a new deal for out of contract ruckman Mike Pyke, who has this year assumed the role as the club?s No 1 follower.

And talks have begun on new deals for out-of-contract pair Craig Bird and Rhyce Shaw after Harry Cunningham last month agreed to a two-year extension.
    Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

If he can squeeze more cash out of the Demons then good for him.

We'll always have 2012

I think he would find playing at Melbourne disappointing

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Say it ain't so Mal. My favourite player of the last 10 years I'd hate to see him wear another club's colours, especially now that he's playing the best footy of his career

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Uh oh. I guess Roos was always going to get someone.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I think they just deleted Nick Smith and inserted Nick Malceski into last year's story.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    He's already collected Stone, Mathews, McPherson, Allison, Misson and Terlich!

Pridham should start lobbying the AFL to limit the number of ex-players/staff employed at one club to 7.

Goes up to 11
    I wouldn't necessarily believe much of that article but it is likely we'll lose a player or two, in addition to the upcoming retirements. Good luck to Mal if he does decide to take the extra $$$'s elsewhere - I wouldn't begrudge him earning some decent coin in his last few years but I sure hope he stays with us.

I'm guessing the Demons will be linked to every out of contract player we have and every trade rumour concerning the Swans from here on in....

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    It's highly unlikely he would go to Melbourne. This would mean their compensation pick for Frawley leaving would be affected and they would not get a first round pick for him.
    Malceski at 30 years of age will not be interested in going to a bottom club for a rebuild. Salary cap space of over 750k will become available once O'keefe and LRT announce their retirements. Mal and his manager are holding off until they know the exact direction of the guys who are retiring.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    He's already collected Stone, Mathews, McPherson, Allison, Misson and Terlich!

Pridham should start lobbying the AFL to limit the number of ex-players/staff employed at one club to 7.

I hadn't even thought of the coaching staff!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derryn23 View Post
    It's highly unlikely he would go to Melbourne. This would mean their compensation pick for Frawley leaving would be affected and they would not get a first round pick for him.
    Malceski at 30 years of age will not be interested in going to a bottom club for a rebuild. Salary cap space of over 750k will become available once O'keefe and LRT announce their retirements. Mal and his manager are holding off until they know the exact direction of the guys who are retiring.
    We need to remember that this money has probably already been allocated...it's dangerous to assume we'll automatically have cap space because of a retirement or two.

Would hate to lose him, but given he is 31, not the end of the world.

Much prefer Mal going then a young gun with 10 years left.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast