Thread: GWS Matchday Experience

GWS Matchday Experience

Last night I experience one of the most surreal match day experiences of any of the many sports I follow and watch live.

OK it was a little cold but 7,500 against a top four team with a fair away following was absolutely pathetic.

I'd estimate 3,000 Cats fans, 2,000 GWS Consumers and about 2,500 neutrals. It was an experience that will not be seeing many people queuing to come back.

The crowd are treated like kids at a school excursion (and I thought the bloke with the dubious moustache at the SCG was painful). The icing of the cake is that the scoreboard actually provides sub-titles to the crowd as to decisions and what is happening. It would be funny if not so embarrassing.

The game was OK, they will get things rolling on the ground for sure but man they have some work to do, at the moment that club is really an embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Last night I experience one of the most surreal match day experiences of any of the many sports I follow and watch live.

OK it was a little cold but 7,500 against a top four team with a fair away following was absolutely pathetic.

I'd estimate 3,000 Cats fans, 2,000 GWS Consumers and about 2,500 neutrals. It was an experience that will not be seeing many people queuing to come back.

The crowd are treated like kids at a school excursion (and I thought the bloke with the dubious moustache at the SCG was painful). The icing of the cake is that the scoreboard actually provides sub-titles to the crowd as to decisions and what is happening. It would be funny if not so embarrassing.

The game was OK, they will get things rolling on the ground for sure but man they have some work to do, at the moment that club is really an embarrassment
    In fairness to GWS, as it was multicultural round they were doing the whole scoreboard thing and simplifying everything for first timers trying to follow and understand the rules of the game.
    Swannies for life!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    In fairness to GWS, as it was multicultural round they were doing the whole scoreboard thing and simplifying everything for first timers trying to follow and understand the rules of the game.
    Good to hear, I do hope that was a one-off.

On the downside that means that the crowd would have been even lower than that if not for all the freebies to the various communities

I'd like Sydney to be able to support two decent teams but the AFL is going to be writing cheques for that mob for a long long time I fear. And when they start winning comps, which is more than conceivable, then the squeals from the south will be something to truly enjoy...

So, I am truly divided if they should be my second team or number one enemy....

Good to hear, I do hope that was a one-off.

On the downside that means that the crowd would have been even lower than that if not for all the freebies to the various communities

I'd like Sydney to be able to support two decent teams but the AFL is going to be writing cheques for that mob for a long long time I fear. And when they start winning comps, which is more than conceivable, then the squeals from the south will be something to truly enjoy...

I look at it as they are definitely the enemy but that in itself is good for AFL in Sydney. The rivalry and the interest will build as they become more competitive on a consistent basis.
    Swannies for life!

Im all for manufacturing a rivalry, but picking on GWS for crowds when theyve never been above 4th last, is a bit lame.

Is the swans history forgotten?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    In the light of the recent brouhaha about the Academies, GWS are our honorable foes and our staunch allies!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

GWS Matchday Experience

It was freezing cold and everyone was expecting a belting of epic proportions. Of course the crowd was disappointing.

FWIW, I really enjoy the GWS match day experience. Spotless stadium has the relaxed feel of a suburban ground, there are plenty of good quality food options like Asian, kebabs, Subway etc, the drink lines are minimal and my wife loves that she can get champagne at the footy. They always do kick to kick unless to raining, they put on music and the players come out to sign the kids hats after the game.

It's not the big crowd, big game feel of Swans v Port or a big day at the MCG, but it is a relaxing, enjoyable day out with my boys, having a couple of quiet beers in the sun and watching some decent footy for footy's sake.
    Last edited by DK_; 21st July 2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: my wife would be pissed to find out she was referred to as a 'wide'...

I find it interesting having a "second team". Nothing wrong with it ... each to their own. But I've always said its Swans or nothing for me personally. When, a couple of times, Sydney looked like they could go under, I always said I would keep watching & enjoying footy, but couldn't support another team. For me, there's Sydney & then the rest (with different degrees of loathing for the rest ... Collingwood sits right down the bottom of my loathing list!). Not being from NSW, I don't have a soft spot for GW$. But being a Vic stuck in SA, I am subjected to the South Aussie whining about how the Victorians are all biased against the Croweaters (though I think, on the whole, Vics don't care that much) & many in SA have their primary club (Crows or Port), they tolerate the other SA club against everyone else, & want non-Vic clubs to do well against Vic clubs.
    For me, so long as a result of any non-Swans game is in Sydney's favour, that's all that matters .