Thread: Back to the footy, some words of praise

Back to the footy, some words of praise

Rohan Connolly compares Sydney's progress in 2014 with 2012 and 2005.

When the Swans won that famous 2005 premiership, they were able to keep virtually the same 22 together over the last third of the season. Sydney used only 32 players for the season, fewer than any club bar one.

There?s far more depth and selection pressure come 2014, yet before Saturday night?s big clash with Hawthorn, Sydney has used just 30 players, the least of any side. It?s worth remembering that in 2012, the Swans also fielded fewer players than any rival.

Read more: Sydney's balance still getting the job done
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Wow. A complimentary piece about us that didn't include a backhanded reference to the COLA. Nicely done Mr Connolly.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Robert Murphy: "Sydney's absolute best is as good as anyone's ever seen"

FoxSport

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post

FoxSport
    They used to say that about our golden era of the 1930s ... hope we have as many Grand Final appearances ... with greater success

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post

FoxSport
    I'll take that with a grain of salt. The best of the Geelong side of 2007-9 was awesome, as was the best of the Lions of 2001-3.

I guess we have a bit of 'yeah yeah I know' about our team, because it is our team. We are used to seeing what they can do (or not). I have tried to watch a single quarter cheering on the opposition instead of the Swans (3rd quarter against Carlton for instance). It was kind of stressful. Maybe we really are good - a couple of Mercs added to the Cortinas can do that.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Maybe we really are good - a couple of Mercs added to the Cortinas can do that.
    Lets be honest.
    We have been missing a forward line for quite a few years. The amazing thing is how we stayed competitive.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'll take that with a grain of salt. The best of the Geelong side of 2007-9 was awesome, as was the best of the Lions of 2001-3.
    If we can match those two teams over the next year or two I will be very very happy.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

AFL 'discourse' is mostly doltish babble and you'd have to be thick to accept almost any of it. But Robert Murphy is a thoughtful person and he chose his words carefully. He doesn't say Sydney is the best team ever; rather he's saying when it plays at its best it's as good as any. It's worth noting when someone not given to hyperbole says something like that.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    +1. If we come even close to those teams then I will be a very happy little sunbeam.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    +1. If we come even close to those teams then I will be a very happy little sunbeam.
    This is OT but would you rather have had the Blions incredible 4yrs of utter brilliance and domination then 10yrs in the wilderness or our past decade? I realise that is not what we are saying above, in full flight the Lions and Cats were unbeatable, but would rather have had our years of relatively sustained success.
    Over the course there has never been a game where I thought we were no chance. It was always "if we play as good as we can, we can win each game", not how I imagine Lions fans have been thinking for a while.
    But if our boys can become (are we almost there?) a side that can be mentioned, alongside the Lions and Cats, in 5-10yrs time, I to will be a happy little sunbeam.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Really great point RS. Agree 100%