Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlton looking to sign Tom Mitchell

That's a lot to give up for 1 pick that May or may not be a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 43 View Post
    Does that mean we would then have to give up pick 4 instead of 18 for Heeney?
    I have not idea how it works but I thought that would be the case, we give up our first pick for Heeney, what ever it is. I still can not see why the Swans should "sell the farm" for movement up the draft ladder. Some Clubs need to but appears the Swans develop their squad basically from the "leftovers", except for a few minor exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    I know there are rules on RWO about not playing the man.

Moderators, allow me this one indulgence??

Matt80, you sir know absolutely nothing about trading and drafting.
    That's a little unfair Doc. What are your credentials in regards to trading? Imagine the outcry if Matt suggested we trade, Kennedy or Jack for a young KPP. Which is the sort of thing Luke Darcy is suggesting for the bulldogs. "Western Bulldogs ruckman Luke Darcy suggested the Bulldogs should use skipper Ryan Griffen as currency to lure one of GWS's three tall forwards to Witten Oval. The 2002 all-Australian said the bulldogs must be bold and brave to give them the best possible chance at poaching one of the Giants big men." Now he is somebody who has a better understanding of top level football and trading than any of us here, and he points out that bold and brave decisions are required to prise top 5 picks out of clubs. Just as Matt80 is suggesting. Whether we need to do the trade or agree with his evaluation of trade value is an interesting debate. But don't just dismiss his opinion just because you don't agree with it. Poorly played.

It's hard to see a reason why the Swans would do *any* deal involving Mitchell. He's young, highly valued, has two more years to run on his contract and is apparently happy at the club. Even if he requests to go, we are under no obligation to trade him, and he must know that it's a long shot. Perhaps if Carlton offered him a ton of money we might have to worry about him becoming dissatisfied with the club, but that seems very unlikely, particularly given that we're looking after him pretty well in that department already.

If we trade for picks, we might reduce our salary cap, but if we need to free up cap space I think there are a lot of places we would look before getting rid of Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 43 View Post
    Does that mean we would then have to give up pick 4 instead of 18 for Heeney?
    I'm no expert but I don't think so. My understanding is that the Heeney deal is done prior to trade week and the draft.

He knows little about little.....

Recent swans trading history suggests that we don't trade for high draft picks. We usually identify what our positional deficiencies are and then trade in a player to address that eg Shaw, Tippett, Laidler, etc. If we require a KPD, we may try to identify a young KPD from another club or try to turn a forward into a back.
    I believe we will be quite this trade period. I think we will gladly take Heeney with our 1st pick, probably Davis with our 2nd and then some talls with what left. We will also try to consolidate the development of our talented reserves and bring them through.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I have not entered this forum to reaffirm any of my previous opinions. If Mitchell wanted to move I believe the most likely destination would be the Melbourne Demons not Carlton due to deal dynamics.

Roos is a crafty trade operator and I believe he is planning astutely for Danny Frawley to leave.

This is the fantasy deal I believe will go through:

Tom Mitchill, Nick Malcski and Loyd Perris for Pick 4 to the Swans.
    Melbourne would then get pick 5 as compensation for Frawley.
    Roos would not want to take Malceski under free agency because it would affect the compensation with Frawley. He would package up Mitchill and Malceski and would push for Lloyd Perris to be the deal sweetener (we know Roos has a high opinion of Perris and he would have low currency coming off an ACL).

Mitchell may want to leave the Swans for more first team football, Malceski may want to leave for a better pay day, and Perris may want to be on a Senior list.

I think the Swans would like a top 5 pick in the draft. Melbourne gets three players and still has one early pick in the draft.

Any trade for Malceski is probably better than pick 40 in free agency. Mitchill is worth IMO apick 12-20 at the trade and Perris may be the late sweetner.
    Sounds like a pretty @@@@ deal to me, considering our appalling record with 1st round draft picks! I'd be happier with 3 2nd rd (or even 3rd rd picks), going on previous experience

Don't compensation picks only come at the end of the rd they are for (i.e. I thought Melbourne would get pick 19, if somehow frawley was considered to be worthy of a 1st rd draft pick?
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Sounds like a pretty @@@@ deal to me, considering our appalling record with 1st round draft picks! I'd be happier with 3 2nd rd (or even 3rd rd picks), going on previous experience

Don't compensation picks only come at the end of the rd they are for (i.e. I thought Melbourne would get pick 19, if somehow frawley was considered to be worthy of a 1st rd draft pick?
    Depends. The AFL can grant a pick immediately after that club's normal round 1 pick, or a pick at the end of round 1 (or 2,3 4 etc). Depends on the age of the player, the amount of salary and the length of contract.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I'm no expert but I don't think so. My understanding is that the Heeney deal is done prior to trade week and the draft.
    I thought the bidding done after trade week, but before the draft (I'm also no expert, so could very well be wrong)?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    I thought the bidding done after trade week, but before the draft (I'm also no expert, so could very well be wrong)?
    Could you imagine what Eddie would do if we got Heeney at pick 20, and had pick 4 as well (going off Matt80's deal)?

Suspended by the MRP

You?re entitled to your opinion Doctor J, but please don?t edit my post and pass it of as my work.

This is my rational for the trade:

- If Nick Malceski wants to go Melbourne under free agency we get a pick 40 (not a strong deal). The Swans have a very weak hand with Malceski. This situation is like an out of contract player heading for the pre-season draft.

-Tom Mitchell is not worth a top 10 pick alone under a trade. He is three years years into his AFL career and has strung together 18 games, which some have been very good. He has spent the majority of those three years on the physio table. There are many GWS Giants from his intake that are ahead of him (Dylan Shiel) and some of the young midfielders from the Gold Coast, The Western Bulldogs, and Melbourne (Tyson, Viney) that are well ahead of him. He is very good in and under player, but does not have a lot of speed and is not elite above his head or with his foot skills. I think he is worth pick 12-20 on a direct trade. Not top 10. He is also ranked behind Kennedy, K.Jack, Hannerery, McVeigh, Parker, Bird and Jetta on the Swans midfield depth chart.

-The Demons will have a pick 5 to play with. They would prefer to get Malceski via a trade so that they don?t effect Frawleys free trade compensation.

-The deal would essentially be Mitchell and Malceski, but I think Roos will go for Perris as a late sweetener.

We get pick 5.

Melbourne get
    Malceski (2-3 years of good senior Football remaining).

Mitchell (Potential 10 years of good senior football as an inside if he can get his body right, but not in the elite categoary of young midfeilders like Luke Parker).

Perris (Speculative rookie, who will miss the 2015 preseason and early season recovering from an ACL).

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Matt80 I normally love reading your opinions because you're not scared to say what you think and that is what RWO is all about...but that deal is laughable...Mitchell alone is worth a top 10 pick...inside mids like him are as rare as hens teeth in modern football these days given the obsession with speed...any club would love to build a 10 year midfield around a player like Tom and that is why Sydney won't let him leave.
    Oh please, don't encourage him....

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast