Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 19 vs essendon

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I thought it was Rohan's best game of the year. But then the standard so far from him hasn't been great this year.
    Good to see him getting into the game.
    I think with his return from injury I've generally assessed Gary's performance with considerations of "getting game time into him/signs for the future/how is he moving/how has he recovered after it/is shy of contact"; the game against Hawthorn was probably the first time I didn't need to add those considerations to my assessment of his game, and found myself purely judging him as an AFL level player.

He was very good, his defensive work really was excellent- I noticed he the most 1%ers for us with 8, overall he was beaten in that category only by Gibson who had 12. It seemed to me that the speed and pressure of the game simplified things for him a little bit and he could just play on instinct.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I saw it the same way, and I think Rampe sometimes tries to do too much. If he stuck to the "play your role" mantra, I think he'd make a better contribution. Otherwise he has a lot to offer.
    Rampe is following the lead from Mal and Shaw as to his playing style. He started out being conservative, just trying to beat his man, but has evolved into someone ready to take on the opposition at every opportunity. He's going to make his mistakes, but I think we need this sort of player.

The days of just defending for defenders are long gone. Now they have to hit pinpoint passes under pressure to restart the team going the other way.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Interesting you should raise & praise Rampe. My memory of the Laidler/Puopolo mismatch is that it was indirectly caused by a very poor Rampe entry into our forward 50 which went over the heads of all the Sydney forwards to a Hawthorn defender who was able to clear it out the fat side of the ground, over the Sydney defence who had pressed up leaving Puopolo one out. If Rampe had lowered his eyes and hit any of the 4 options that he was presented with, we would have had a shot on goal and extended our 13 point lead. The mismatch would not have happened, and perhaps we could have gone in to half time 19 points up.

Puopolo would have beaten just about every player on our list such was the delivery to him, allowing him ample space to run on to the ball and then into an open goal.
    Sometimes teammates elsewhere on the ground can lead to defenders looking soundly beaten in contests that they didn't have much of a chance in. I saw some people lamenting Nick Smith's fall from grace because a very, very good opponent (oh why didn't we nab him? why?) kicked 3 on him- but for at least 1 of those he had little chance at all because Puopolo soundly beat Bird in a contest part way between the wing and half forward which allowed Puopolo the time to deliver into the forward 50 under no pressure and place it perfectly to Bruest's advantage. Smith's man gets the goal so he is viewed as losing the contest, but he arguably wasn't the Swan who lost the contest that caused the goal.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I think with his return from injury I've generally assessed Gary's performance with considerations of "getting game time into him/signs for the future/how is he moving/how has he recovered after it/is shy of contact"; the game against Hawthorn was probably the first time I didn't need to add those considerations to my assessment of his game, and found myself purely judging him as an AFL level player.

He was very good, his defensive work really was excellent- I noticed he the most 1%ers for us with 8, overall he was beaten in that category only by Gibson who had 12. It seemed to me that the speed and pressure of the game simplified things for him a little bit and he could just play on instinct.
    He definitely made one tackle, and I'm sure it was him again with a second, where he applied the tackle and the kick was made to be less than that intended, but unfortunately both times it landed in the arms of a Hawk who wasn't expecting it. So there was little gained from the tackles. But at least he was doing the 1%ers.
    I think that says a lot about the night we had.

Also when Grundy was subbed, he was dropping back and taking the marks Reg would have taken.
    Gaining confidence with every game!!

He definitely made one tackle, and I'm sure it was him again with a second, where he applied the tackle and the kick was made to be less than that intended, but unfortunately both times it landed in the arms of a Hawk who wasn't expecting it. So there was little gained from the tackles. But at least he was doing the 1%ers.
    I think that says a lot about the night we had.

Also when Grundy was subbed, he was dropping back and taking the marks Reg would have taken.
    Gaining confidence with every game!!
    He certainly does seem to be gradually getting his confidence back. I was very impressed with Rohan's game on the weekend - his best performance for us this season by some distance. As you say, he was unlucky not to get greater reward for a couple of fantastic tackles where the kicks saw them get lucky.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Brings a tear to my eye his effort and confidence levels
    SwansTV: Rohan's relentless defence: Plays of the Day R18 - sydneyswans.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    He certainly does seem to be gradually getting his confidence back. I was very impressed with Rohan's game on the weekend - his best performance for us this season by some distance. As you say, he was unlucky not to get greater reward for a couple of fantastic tackles where the kicks saw them get lucky.
    I agree with you MCS.

His pace was nearly back to his best and coupled with his tackling, a great contribution. Every time he was near the ball swans supporters around me (including myself) were screaming out his name. I believe next year if Shaw retires and/or Mal leaves he will form a great halfback line hopefully with AJ. Laidler tried hard, but he does not have the speed to keep up with some of their very fast and fit forwards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Brings a tear to my eye his effort and confidence levels
    SwansTV: Rohan's relentless defence: Plays of the Day R18 - sydneyswans.com.au
    The Tackle on Mitchell was one I referred to where the hawks got lucky.
    The two spoils in that piece as well went unrewarded as we turned the ball over straight after.
    That tackle on Bruest that stuck was a beauty. The hawks around me we were going right off about it until they watched the replay and realised it was a throw.

The Tackle on Mitchell was one I referred to where the hawks got lucky.
    The two spoils in that piece as well went unrewarded as we turned the ball over straight after.
    That tackle on Bruest that stuck was a beauty. The hawks around me we were going right off about it until they watched the replay and realised it was a throw.
    I'm suprised that you had hawks fans that clever around you. The idiots next to me wouldn't even change their mind after watching clear as dayy replays of a number of incidents where the ump got it spot on - that one you mention being one, and another where someone (mabye puopolo) dragged the ball in and HTB was given as it should have been.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post

I think your spot on, the improvement in Rohan over the last 2 weeks has been noticeable as he gains more confidence in his ability to play at this level, i hope and I think he will continue to improve over the next 3 - 4 weeks. I think he has to stay in the team when Shaw and Hanners return, he could be our X factor for finals. I would pref Rohan in vs Harry for the final series.

Cheers

waz

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    I think your spot on, the improvement in Rohan over the last 2 weeks has been noticeable as he gains more confidence in his ability to play at this level, i hope and I think he will continue to improve over the next 3 - 4 weeks. I think he has to stay in the team when Shaw and Hanners return, he could be our X factor for finals. I would pref Rohan in vs Harry for the final series.

Cheers

waz
    I think both Gaz and Harry have a place in our top 22. Harry has been down the last couple of weeks, but he does a lot of work that I feel goes unnoticed. His gut running ability, combined with his pace could be critical come the big games in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Rampe?s combination of pace, strength and determination is starting to remind me of Leo Barry.
    The only similarities between Leo and Dane are that they both have more hair than their captains (Hall & McVeigh respectively) & that their guernsey numbers are in the 20s. Dane goes on effective runs with pretty good leg speed; leapin' Leo bounced around like a pinball, the sheer number of turns he did confused the opposition enough to prevent the tackle. Dane spots up a target pretty well by foot; Leo's kicking fitted in pretty well with his defensive predecessors, Dunks, Schaubs & Jayson Daniels. Ramps is a fairly good mark for his size; Leo was an amazing mark for any size! Dane is fairly strong; Leo played on (and usually beat) key position forwards whom he yielded height and weight to, week in, week out.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast