Thread: Biggest Ever Home and Away Crowd

Biggest Ever Home and Away Crowd

Against the Hawks, it was our biggest-ever home and away crowd.

72,760 eclipsing the 72,393 against the Pies at Homebush in 2003.

For people who've been following the Swans for a while, when we played in-front of crowds of 8,000 this is nothing short of amazing.

Forget all the trolling about Academies, COLA and the like. People want to come see us play.

They view us as a serious threat, hence their joy when we lose. When we lost 26 in a row, people didn't care when we lost......

Veterans List
    Yes I have never seen us play in front of a crowd like that in Melbourne apart from the GF. Even last year after we won the GF we didn't come to close to that.

It was great being amongst so much red and white. At the Jude tribute on Friday night, Pridham said there are over 11,000 members in Melbourne ????.

Yes and great learning experience for the players who haven't played in a final at the MCG. Hopefully sets up for September!

Blog Entries
    It was a great atmosphere. OnCe they tired of booing Buddy and Goodes.
    Last edited by ScottH; 27th July 2014 at 09:03 PM.

I was at the game.

They never stopped booing Buddy or Goodes ( that is one I cannot understand why the Hawks would boo Goodes). But a great atmosphere and when a couple of free kicks went the Swans way in the second qtr, the Hawk supporters went feral. They were jumping up and down and screaming what they were going to do the umpires. Interesting as I had experienced Collingwood and Essendon supporters, but I thought the Hawk variety were more refined.

Anyway a great game, we were certainly not at our best and improvement is needed by the midfield and defence players. But I thought Benny, Rampe and Gaz had great games. With Tippo hopefully playing more consistently we have the abilityn to improve and get ready for a very good game at the GF.

Blog Entries
    I was at the game and from what I could here it diminished in the 2nd half.

Senior Player
    [QUOTE With Tippo hopefully playing more consistently we have the abilityn to improve and get ready for a very good game at the GF.[/QUOTE]

If we don't improve we may be facing the Hawks well before the GF. Not a thought that fills me with confidence after last night. Fair enough we had players not perform to their usual standard but was that because the Hawks didn't let them or just most of the midfield plus a few others had an off night?

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    [QUOTE With Tippo hopefully playing more consistently we have the abilityn to improve and get ready for a very good game at the GF.
    If we don't improve we may be facing the Hawks well before the GF. Not a thought that fills me with confidence after last night. Fair enough we had players not perform to their usual standard but was that because the Hawks didn't let them or just most of the midfield plus a few others had an off night?[/QUOTE]

A little harsh, given we had won our previous dozen on end. We need to bounce back hard on friday though or we will be in trouble if we lose again.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    If we don't improve we may be facing the Hawks well before the GF. Not a thought that fills me with confidence after last night. Fair enough we had players not perform to their usual standard but was that because the Hawks didn't let them or just most of the midfield plus a few others had an off night?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    A little harsh, given we had won our previous dozen on end. We need to bounce back hard on friday though or we will be in trouble if we lose again.
    Unusually, that loss hasn't concerned me as much as I would have expected. It was a game we were always a constant threat even though we were outplayed in the second half. I mean, it could have been a pretty bad loss, but the boys, even though they weren't their best, stuck it out. I'm proud of them.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Unusually, that loss hasn't concerned me as much as I would have expected. It was a game we were always a constant threat even though we were outplayed in the second half. I mean, it could have been a pretty bad loss, but the boys, even though they weren't their best, stuck it out. I'm proud of them.
    Sums up my view as well Rogue. We were always in the game, despite being what I consider a fair way below our best. After all, we were a 50/50 call away from being within a couple of points with a few minutes on the clock.

The way I see it - Hawks were much closer to playing their best than we were. If we should meet again, and our midfield bothers to turn up (hopefully helped by Hanners return), then I'm confident we can beat them.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I was at the game and from what I could here it diminished in the 2nd half.
    We had seats with a lot of Hawk supporters around. They were going right to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Sums up my view as well Rogue. We were always in the game, despite being what I consider a fair way below our best. After all, we were a 50/50 call away from being within a couple of points with a few minutes on the clock.

The way I see it - Hawks were much closer to playing their best than we were. If we should meet again, and our midfield bothers to turn up (hopefully helped by Hanners return), then I'm confident we can beat them.
    My thoughts also. I can see a lot more up side from our end than Hawthorns and considering we had the same amount of shots on goal as them, I didn't think it was a bad loss at all.